The Oracle
0 Kudos

Re: Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 Steelbook?

Looks like there's more as it says limited Quantities so not sure if it's more then what @pikachuforever saw earlier
Epic Genius

So here we are on the 21St. and still stock on the English Steelbook.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-english-steelbook-only-at-best-buy...?

I'm always amazed how fast and furious (no pun intended) things get when stock depletes, no matter how long it has been made available, and yet very seldom is gratitude shown for lasting availability.

So Thank You BB for making this title available in enough quantity to give everyone a chance!!

As for the individuals who are sure to voice their dissatisfaction once the stock is depleted, well.... you had your chance on this one. Smiley Wink

The Captain
0 Kudos

Why does Best Buy USA offer the option of either a 4K/Blu-Ray steelbook *or* a Blu-Ray/DVD steelbook (for those who don't have 4K players).

Best Buy Canada only has the 4K combo steelbook.

Canadian customers once again get screwed.

The Oracle

rammble wrote:

Why does Best Buy USA offer the option of either a 4K/Blu-Ray steelbook *or* a Blu-Ray/DVD steelbook (for those who don't have 4K players).

Best Buy Canada only has the 4K combo steelbook.

Because BB US market is much bigger then Canadas market and BBY Canada  only gets either the 4K/BR or the BR/DVD editions. Everyone here rather the 4K over DVD. You are still getting a Blu-ray Disc with the 4K so no 4K player needed unless your one of the consumers that doesn't have a bluesy player then your screwed

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

rammble wrote:

I feel like being "screwed" would be not getting it at all. I don't have 4K either, but I'd rather have the option of being able to get it than not. 

The Captain
0 Kudos

I get that the USA is a bigger market, but the simple fact of the matter is that we know the Blu-Ray/DVD steelbook combo is being produced and there's no reason why Best Buy Canada couldn't stock it, even if it was an online-exclusive.

There's no point in me paying $44.99 for something that would normally cost only around $26.99.

Here's a radical idea: why doesn't Best Buy Canada just sell empty steelbooks separately and consumers can decide which disc format they want?

Legendary Epic Genius

rammble wrote:

I get that the USA is a bigger market, but the simple fact of the matter is that we know the Blu-Ray/DVD steelbook combo is being produced and there's no reason why Best Buy Canada couldn't stock it, even if it was an online-exclusive.

There's no point in me paying $44.99 for something that would normally cost only around $26.99.

Here's a radical idea: why doesn't Best Buy Canada just sell empty steelbooks separately and consumers can decide which disc format they want?

Well the US gets a number of steelbooks we have not, and have gotten multi format steelbooks in the past (Doctor Strange and the dual copies of Moana are recent examples). There have been complaints on this forum, but the consistent message is that the market isn't big enough. And the complaints about online only exclusives are even bigger.

And in regards to pricing, there's absolutely no way they'd sell a Marvel steelbook for under $29.99 on release date. Completely unheard of. I get the pricing concerns, I'm none too pleased about the high price tag either. I am debating giving up the steelbook game soon if the pricing stays consistently this high. But for GOTG, it's likely going to go down slightly before release date -- likely to $39.99 since it's coming with an exclusive 3D disc as well, for the all but completely extinct format most people won't be using much either way.

As for selling steelbooks seperately...I can only imagine the pricing on that won't be favourable.

Epic Genius

rammble wrote:

Because the whole concept behind the "Exclusive" line is to sell more product, not packaging.

Marketing is generally based on what sells in a given marketplace, and for some reason Canadians appear to prefer 4K/BD combinations when available. Another example is 3D, even though the trend has run it's course in North America, we missed out on many titles only offered south of the border.

Also keep in mind that all BD players are DVD compatible, but you can't play 4K on anything other than a UHD (4K) home system. I'm pretty sure Sony plays that card. Smiley Wink    

As for the format differences, the U.S. customers still demand DVD's as an option, so they get both. But there's 400M Americans and only 38M Canadians, that's a lot more buying power.

Highlighted
Legendary Epic Genius

I agree with Jacques.  The whole point of the SteelBook is to move product, not SteelBooks.

Future Shop used to offer the SteelBooks separately, but that led to another set of problems.

As for getting screwed, I feel that we're getting screwed by not having 3D options.  That's been happening for awhile now.

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

@BBYTerence

Please tell me there's gonna be a price drop for this before next week.... because right now, NOTHING in the flyer.... Smiley Surprised

Only a mention of the 4K edition at $34.99... and the SteelBook combo still sits at $44.99+tx...

01.jpg03.jpg