Pioneer

Re: Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 Steelbook?

I own basically every Marvel movie in 3d. Not once have I ever had to preorder to get that format until this movie, because there was ample supply at a handful of different retailers. Now with these exclusives it's no longer the case. How is that in any way an improvement or acceptable? It isn't, the same thing happened Rogue One. I would have happily supported Best Buy, but sold out. Go online, and 3d copies are selling for 60 or more. Meanwhile I can get it from **competitor** UK for the equivalent of about $30. So it's quite a bit cheaper, but why should I be forced to go through the hassle and buy a non North American product when it would have been easier for Best Buy and Disney to just stock ample amounts of their product.

And no, I didn't have a problem spending $6000 on an OLED TV, because it was my choice. All tv's will show a picture, but an OLED is a premium product that in my opinion does so much of a better job than an average tv that I gladly paid the price difference. There was choice involved. Taking away choice, like Best Buy and Disney have done with these limited releases, either forcing steelbook collectors into a 3d copy they don't need, or forcing 3d fans into preordering a steelbook they don't need, just for the sake of charging 50% more of a premium is my definition of stupid, yes. It was a completely needless change from the past where a movies 3d/4k editions came out to different retailers and were almost always in stock, and doesn't help consumers at all.

Constructive criticism? Stock movies the same way you did a year or two ago. There. Simple.
Legendary Epic Genius

SaskCanesFan wrote:

Constructive criticism? Stock movies the same way you did a year or two ago. There. Simple.

Unfortunately it's not that simple.

In case you haven't noticed, physical media sales are slowing down and are lower this year than last.

3D is also harder to find, so if you're going to gripe you might as well gripe about the loss of 3D as a choice on TVs, the Canadian dollar, and the price of gas.

Also it was raining on Tuesday.  Pretty hard too!

Legendary Epic Genius

SaskCanesFan wrote:
I own basically every Marvel movie in 3d. Not once have I ever had to preorder to get that format until this movie, because there was ample supply at a handful of different retailers. Now with these exclusives it's no longer the case. How is that in any way an improvement or acceptable? It isn't, the same thing happened Rogue One. I would have happily supported Best Buy, but sold out. Go online, and 3d copies are selling for 60 or more. Meanwhile I can get it from **competitor** UK for the equivalent of about $30. So it's quite a bit cheaper, but why should I be forced to go through the hassle and buy a non North American product when it would have been easier for Best Buy and Disney to just stock ample amounts of their product.

And no, I didn't have a problem spending $6000 on an OLED TV, because it was my choice. All tv's will show a picture, but an OLED is a premium product that in my opinion does so much of a better job than an average tv that I gladly paid the price difference. There was choice involved. Taking away choice, like Best Buy and Disney have done with these limited releases, either forcing steelbook collectors into a 3d copy they don't need, or forcing 3d fans into preordering a steelbook they don't need, just for the sake of charging 50% more of a premium is my definition of stupid, yes. It was a completely needless change from the past where a movies 3d/4k editions came out to different retailers and were almost always in stock, and doesn't help consumers at all.

Going to follow along the same lines as @SonicBoom and @Jacques1400 on this. While Best Buy could have stocked more copies yes (or made it more clear before now that it was an online only release in Canada), your bigger issue is with Disney for only offering up 3D as an exclusive to one retailer and the industry as a whole for 3D on its way to extinction. It sucks, but that's the way things are going unfortunately. And with IMAX announcing they won't be showing movies in 3D anymore and companies no longer making 3D TVs, I think the extinction will be coming even sooner -- so you likely won't have a chance to continue collecting them anyway.

Pioneer

Sure physical sales are lower. But there's a mountain of difference between stocking less of a product than you used to, and stocking so little that nobody who acts less than a month release has the faintest hope of getting it. It wouldn't be hard to plan for a second batch or more of movies if demand stays up. But the parties involved refuse to. With both Rogue One and GotG2, it's clear that Disney and Best Buy dropped the ball massively, from 5 minutes of looking at reviews and forums of how many people are annoyed at not being able to find a copy.

You want to see physical media sales drop even more? Make it so hard and frustrating for would be happily paying customers to get your "exclusive" product, that they're forced into illegal or overseas options instead.
Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

pikachuforever wrote:

Going to follow along the same lines as @SonicBoom and @Jacques1400 on this. While Best Buy could have stocked more copies yes (or made it more clear before now that it was an online only release in Canada), your bigger issue is with Disney for only offering up 3D as an exclusive to one retailer and the industry as a whole for 3D on its way to extinction. It sucks, but that's the way things are going unfortunately. And with IMAX announcing they won't be showing movies in 3D anymore and companies no longer making 3D TVs, I think the extinction will be coming even sooner -- so you likely won't have a chance to continue collecting them anyway.

I'm hoping that this downturn for 3D will make a recovery soon.  

3D is still very popular and last I read it was still outselling 4K.  I know that the media has dwindled and the TV support is gone, but I will hold out buying a new TV until I can get another 3D one.  I think it was foolish to remove 3D support altogether on TVs.  There should still be a niche market for those who want it.

As for this GOTG2 release, this is nothing new for those of us who have been around.  Every STAR TREK or DISNEY release there is bound to be people who miss out because they underestimated the demand or procrastinated ordering, or held out for a discounted price.  That;'s the price you pay for hesitating.

The truth is that there are a LOT of Marvel fans and a LOT of comic fans and a LOT of 3D and SteelBook fans.  Just as we saw for STAR WARS or Disney or I'm sure we will see for WONDER WOMAN, demand is still pretty strong for these blockbuster exclusives.

Best Buy Canada should be able to capitalize on this.

I know for WONDER WOMAN I will be buying multiple copies because there are just so many beautiful different SteelBooks for this title worldwide.  Best Buy has a world exclusive artwork for their SteelBook so it will certainly sell out (in fact I see that it already has).

Best Buy already has five format editions available.  They should see from their sales that the exclusive editions always sell out first.

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@SonicBoom @SaskCanesFan @pikachuforever @Jacques1400

Well if you believe James Cameron, he says 4K is useless and he's going to singlehandedly bring back 3D TV's in the near future with his Avatar sequel.

Says a 3D blu-ray will be the ONLY version he will allow to be released on physical media the first 2 times it is released on disc and therefore they will be releasing more 3D TV's next year.

Says 4K is awful and will be gone in 2 years Smiley LOL

Of course Avatar did start this whole new wave of 3D movies.

Highlighted
The Oracle

Well if Avatar 2 be only released in 3D bluray only then there goes my sale as I won't give in. I enjoy watching 3D movies at the theatre but have no use for it at home.
Epic Genius

[ Edited ]

@Leprekon

By the time these sequels actually come out there will probably be an actual Pandora somewhere.

And as far as home viewing goes, by then you'll be able to tug on your ear lobe and the movie will start playing in your head.

No special glasses needed.

Actually that reminds me of something else Cameron said.  3D TV's and 3D home viewing won't be any good until they come out with 3D TV's that don't require glasses to be worn.  Supposedly this is the reason for the decline in 3D TV's and 3D blu-ray.

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

casey1985 wrote:

@SonicBoom @SaskCanesFan @pikachuforever @Jacques1400

Well if you believe James Cameron, he says 4K is useless and he's going to singlehandedly bring back 3D TV's in the near future with his Avatar sequel.

Says a 3D blu-ray will be the ONLY version he will allow to be released on physical media the first 2 times it is released on disc and therefore they will be releasing more 3D TV's next year.

Says 4K is awful and will be gone in 2 years Smiley LOL

Of course Avatar did start this whole new wave of 3D movies.

He also hopes to make the experience glasses free, as@casey1985 referred to. Which while cool, sounds like a bit of a pipe dream still. Either way, I feel like with major TV support removed, IMAX theatre support removed, 3D will go full niche and we will continue to see occasional retailer exclusives and very little 3D support on the home front overall. Winter is coming for 3D, and it's going to be a looooong winter.

Luminary
0 Kudos

Leprekon wrote:
Well if Avatar 2 be only released in 3D bluray only then there goes my sale as I won't give in. I enjoy watching 3D movies at the theatre but have no use for it at home.

I bought an LG 3D tv a few years back, the resolution is amazing (non 3d).  We thought it would be neat to watch 3 d at home and sometimes do.  Our tv has an option of watching a 3 d bluray in regular format if we want - not sure if that's standard on 3 d tvs.  First time we watched the Avengers on it (in regular blu ray) it was so clear that the actors looked like they were behind a pane of glass in my livingroom.  Pretty awesome.

somewhere in my rambling point is that perhaps Avatar can be watched the same way, with the 3d turned off..?