Legendary Oracle

Re: Mondo Steelbooks Dead at Best Buy?

[ Edited ]

SonicBoom wrote:

I don't like this.  Much prefer the original from Future Shop.  I think there was also another from the UK.

Both of the others are superior to this one.  Not a fan of this Mondo stuff.  Or maybe I just haven't seen any good Mondo work lately.

@SonicBoom

I also prefer the original Future Shop Incredibles  Viva Metal Box over both the Mondo style and  the Z sites version of the movie; even though the artwork is similar I was always a fan of the Vivas Metal Box. Smiley Happy

THE INCREDIBLES – FUTURESHOP EXCLUSIVE METAL PACKAGINGTHE INCREDIBLES – FUTURESHOP EXCLUSIVE METAL PACKAGINGThe Incredibles - Z Exclusive Limited Edition SteelbookThe Incredibles - Z Exclusive Limited Edition Steelbook

Also @casey1985 I think I would rather purchase the Mondo version, I do like this art compared to the newer Z release; I also saw the CD steelbooks of the Guardians of the Galaxy I agree I would also have to put my foot down on that also. Smiley Very Happy 

11636141-1434535674223136.jpg

Highlighted
Legendary Epic Genius

That's funny because I am the opposite to you guys.

I am putting my foot down on the Mondo INCREDIBLES SteelBook because I'm extremely happy with the first one that I have.

However, I did cave and pre-order the GOTG CD SteelBook.

At first, I thought it was very gimmicky, however, I have never seen a CD SteelBook before and I'm curious.  Also, as far as soundtracks go, this is one of the better ones.

If they had released a CD SteelBook for the soundtrack to THE GREEN HORNET, I would stand my ground, but I already enjoy the songs on the GOTG soundtrack.

The Oracle
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

SonicBoom wrote:

That's funny because I am the opposite to you guys.

I am putting my foot down on the Mondo INCREDIBLES SteelBook because I'm extremely happy with the first one that I have.

However, I did cave and pre-order the GOTG CD SteelBook.

At first, I thought it was very gimmicky, however, I have never seen a CD SteelBook before and I'm curious.  Also, as far as soundtracks go, this is one of the better ones.

If they had released a CD SteelBook for the soundtrack to THE GREEN HORNET, I would stand my ground, but I already enjoy the songs on the GOTG soundtrack.

OK but if this CD steelbook thing becomes successful, followed by tons of releases, including non soundtrack releases by classic bands and solo musicians, then I'm blaming YOU! Smiley MadSmiley Wink

Legendary Epic Genius

On a collector standpoint, unless you are independently wealthy, one has to set rules.

For me, I limit purchases to North American movie releases, with some minor exceptions as in the "Mondo" Steelbooks & Powerhouse "Indicator" series.

Dwelling into movie soundtrack's because they are in a Tin, Metal, or even a Steelbook simply relates into one less purchase towards my collection, and once you bought one, it's difficult to stop buying them. Smiley Wink

Legendary Epic Genius

For anyone interested,

A retail wide Arrow Video Limited Edition Steelbook of "Hellraiser" was released in November, I'm not sure if BB carries it in store or not, but even though it's not officially part of the Mondo collection for say, it was designed by Mondo artist Mat Ryan Tobin.

71+e5jSc3hL._SL600_.jpg

The Oracle

Jacques1400 wrote:

For anyone interested,

A retail wide Arrow Video Limited Edition Steelbook of "Hellraiser" was released in November, I'm not sure if BB carries it in store or not, but even though it's not officially part of the Mondo collection for say, it was designed by Mondo artist Mat Ryan Tobin.

71+e5jSc3hL._SL600_.jpg

I don't believe this was released in Canada but it is available online at the big "A" as an import (from the U.S. I believe) 

Also it is most likely that the placeholder art for the Blade Runner 2049 steelbook will be used for the amaray and not the steelbook.

However it is possible that the steelbook will be a Mondo steelbook (but not part of the Mondo X line) and look like this.

333869-b0457e45f61232a31946c3c7cd52a457.jpg

Legendary Epic Genius

@casey1985

Agreed, technically it's an import, and the online retailer is the only one that lists it as such for their own internal reasons, but so are half the products we purchase locally.

After all, it's only a technicality.

Even BB Canada has listed "imports" in the past, and I'm positive that anyone looking hard enough can locate a multitude of U.S. products in other departments.

Here is the BB US Link:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hellraiser-blu-ray-1987/33556941.p?skuId=33556941

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

casey1985 wrote:

OK but if this CD steelbook thing becomes successful, followed by tons of releases, including non soundtrack releases by classic bands and solo musicians, then I'm blaming YOU! Smiley MadSmiley Wink

That's a lot of responsibility on my shoulders! Smiley Happy

I'm only in this one because it is GOTG.  I'm not planning to repurchase my entire CD soundtrack library.  Well, unless it includes classics like John Williams scores.  I am a sucker for that.

I'll leave you with the responsibility of keeping the Mondo SteelBook line alive!

The Oracle
0 Kudos

SonicBoom wrote:

That's a lot of responsibility on my shoulders! Smiley Happy

I'm only in this one because it is GOTG.  I'm not planning to repurchase my entire CD soundtrack library.  Well, unless it includes classics like John Williams scores.  I am a sucker for that.

I'll leave you with the responsibility of keeping the Mondo SteelBook line alive!

Smiley Frustrated NO!!!!!!!!!  I want the Mondo X line to die!!!!  So I can stop buying them!

I have a lot of CD soundtracks as well but I probably haven't purchased any since the 90's.

A lot of John Willimas stuff as well.  A lot of CD soundtracks containing songs as well.  Most of my stuff is from the 80's.

*sigh* I miss the 80's. 

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Yes, let's talk 80s. Smiley Happy

I am a big fan of film soundtrack music, but haven't been impressed lately with many new film soundtracks.  I was also disappointed with STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS.

The last soundtrack I purchased was for LA LA LAND.

I like GOTG, but it's a bit of a cheat because it is all old 70s music repackaged.

As for the thread title, I used to like Mondo SteelBooks, but think they got lazy with the artwork.  I refused to buy the last few releases, except when they were on discount/clearance for $4.99.  That doesn't count. Smiley Happy