Luminary
0 Kudos

Movies on sale that have no stock

I've seen this happen from time to time and now for some reason it's starting to bother me.

Why is it that particular movies (or products in general for that matter) go on sale when the movie or product has NO STOCK online or in store? Any idea @BBYTerence?

For example:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/doctor-strange-english-steelbook-only-at-best-buy-blu-ray-combo-...?

Community Manager

Re: Movies on sale that have no stock

I think often times, sales or price drops have to do with the vendor and/or the merchandise manager in charge of that product. Hypothetically, perhaps at the time they decided to submit something for a price reduction, there was some inventory left, to their knowledge. Sometimes, products are still displayed on the site even though they are sold out, and they just haven't been removed yet.

I don't think there's one definite answer as to why. I personally just think it's just a matter of disconnect. Pricing is handled separately, and on the site, if a price is reduced, that price will be displayed on the product page if that product happens to still be on the site. That's just my opinion as to why it happens, but there could be many different reasons just to do with administrative work. I don't think it's done deliberately.

Our Charge Up & Play Contest for 2017 is happening now! Enter for a chance to win Best Buy gift cards.

FYI: Thanks for posting on the forum. For those who are not aware, this is a peer-to-peer forum. The majority of posts on here are from members of the peer-to-peer community made up of other customers and forum participants. They provide great peer-to-peer advice and feedback. If you have a customer service matter or an inquiry about an order, please call customer service at 1-866-237-8289 to have your matter addressed.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Epic Genius

Online is pretty normal to be out, their stock is lower and gets gobbled up on pre-orders, even though i'm pretty sure seeing some stock of that particular item prior to the 2 day sale that just ended.

Let's not forget that this is country wide, and of course the large metropolitan areas are the first to sell out, but simply because we get frustrated when stores in our vicinity have bare shelves, does not generally reflect a true indication that the sale is for out of stock items.

According to my favourite stores selection, there is stock if you live in the Kitchener/Guelph area, and I didn't even look at any other region or province.

Epic Genius

[ Edited ]

@Marcus05 @BBYTerence @Jacques1400

I believe (for movies anyway) if it's still listed on the website it's because there is still at least 1 store in Canada that still has stock on the shelf.  Even if it is just 1 copy.

Marcus, when you look at Dr. Strange you probably see "Sold out online" and "Sold out in nearby stores"

Here is what I see in my area because there are 14 copies available at the store in Whitby, Ontario.

Also there is 1 copy available in Oshawa, Ontario.

• Sold out online
  • Available at nearby stores 

However the reasons for these being available can vary.

Such as perhaps there is an inventory discrepancy and staff can't find them because they are missing in action.

Or nobody wants them because:

-They don't have a title on the spine

-They don't have 3D

-They may be dented, contain scratches, torn shrink wrap , spine slashes, loose discs or other defects.

I used red for that text because Best Buy continues to put this kind of customer returned stock right back on their shelf for sale as if there is nothing wrong with it hoping that somebody won't mind and still buy it.

You don't need to ask me how I know this.  Others here know this as well.

Eventually they go on sale hoping they clear them out.

I always wondered about that myself when I saw Deadpool and Ex_Machina listed on the site for months and yet it showed 0 stock.  But they must have been available in stores somewhere.

I'm curious if anybody sees availability of the following titles at their nearby stores if they do a search for steelbooks on this site:

Rogue One

Assassin's Creed

Spectre

Space Jam

Star Trek Beyond

Pan's Labyrinth

Hercules

or any James Bond titles

I see Deadpool is still listed but it just says Sold out online when I look.

Legendary Epic Genius

It's still online because it's still a recent product and stock can fluctuate from day to day.  That is, just because it shows out of stock today, it's still possible that people may return copies of DOCTOR STRANGE.

Also, as indicated earlier, discounts may be set long before the item releases independent of stock.  I know from working in Sales that it is often predetermined by Marketing and Sales.

Lastly, don't forget that some items may be re-stocked and re-issued by the studio.  Maybe the DOCTOR STRANGE SteelBook won't, but you can be sure that there will be a steady stream of DOCTOR STRANGE Blu-rays from Disney for the forseeable future.

As for the comment about Best Buy re-stocking damaged SteelBooks, that's always a risk you will take when waiting for a price drop.  I think it is fair because some people are not OCD with their SteelBooks and some people don't care about SteelBooks.  This gives them a chance to own a worn copy for less.  Personally, I wouldn't buy a damaged/dented SteelBook, but I'm sure there are a lot of people who just don't care -- like my mother, my sister, and virtually every other member of my family!

The Oracle
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

SonicBoom wrote:

It's still online because it's still a recent product and stock can fluctuate from day to day.  That is, just because it shows out of stock today, it's still possible that people may return copies of DOCTOR STRANGE.

Also, as indicated earlier, discounts may be set long before the item releases independent of stock.  I know from working in Sales that it is often predetermined by Marketing and Sales.

Lastly, don't forget that some items may be re-stocked and re-issued by the studio.  Maybe the DOCTOR STRANGE SteelBook won't, but you can be sure that there will be a steady stream of DOCTOR STRANGE Blu-rays from Disney for the forseeable future.

As for the comment about Best Buy re-stocking damaged SteelBooks, that's always a risk you will take when waiting for a price drop.  I think it is fair because some people are not OCD with their SteelBooks and some people don't care about SteelBooks.  This gives them a chance to own a worn copy for less.  Personally, I wouldn't buy a damaged/dented SteelBook, but I'm sure there are a lot of people who just don't care -- like my mother, my sister, and virtually every other member of my family!

@SonicBoom,

At the time I am writing this; there is a Dr. Strange steelbook in the Best Buy store in Windsor, Ontario granted that might change by the time you see this message. http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/doctor-strange-english-steelbook-only-at-best-buy-blu-ray-combo-...?

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Thanks @bjmaxvin67, but I'm not the one looking for a copy of the SteelBook.

I was merely trying to answer the original question.  Best of luck to those looking.