Pioneer
0 Kudos

Quality of Steelbooks - Spine Slashes, damages, etc...

[ Edited ]

What is the point paying 40 bux for a new steelbook when you recieve a copy with knife marks on the spine?

Tell the people at the warehouse to chill out with the knives. 

It is supposed to be a collectible item. It still happens. 

Solution: Need new rules for packaging. 

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@darkmancool

There's a multitude of posts in this forum addressing, or complaining about this issue.

You are assuming that the BB warehouse or the store is at fault, which is probably incorrect.

If the cello wrap was intact and the Steelbook had a spine slash, BB received the product damaged.

The process is not a simple, and truth be told, nobody actually knows for sure at which point damage occurs. Even though I sympathize with your frustrations, I've received spine slashed goods from about every single retailer worldwide, and not limited to Steelbooks either.

Google "Spine Slashes" and see the results for yourself. My suggestion is simply to go to your local store first thing in the morning on release day, inspect the stock, and simply purchase a good one.

Should it be this way?, absolutely not!, unfortunately I seriously doubt that there will be a solution after a decade or more of complaints.

Luminary

[ Edited ]

Sadly this is the almost the same discussion a year later; @Drum18 did bring up a solution were he stated "that back in the Future Shop days, we had a great deal of history with those slashed spine. We explained ourselves AND finally someone listened to make something that worked! So basically, when they were packed and shipped to stores from the distributor, they had this sticker on it (see enclosed) and 99% of the problems were solved!" (read the link because there is a photo of how they dealt with the issue).

http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/Movies-TV-Shows/Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-Steelbook-spine-slash/td-p/...

This is one of the best suggestions I have read but sadly Best Buy does not seem to be listening they need to take a idea from Future Shop on what to do. 

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have not had nearly as many issues in the past year or so than I had previously, so I think some changes are being made.

That said, the steelbook you have there is for...Thor: The Dark World if I'm not mistaken? Which would have come out in 2014? If that's the case, then the problems were more widespread then. Good on you for finding a copy, did you get it off the Best Buy website recently?

Luminary
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The spine slashes dont come from retail employees 

The Captain
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Almost every time i have had a spine slash its been on the plastic wrap not underneath so i can't see how its not the guys unpacking the box at best buy .i have never had a spine slash the was not on the plastic.

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Re: Quality of Steelbooks - Spine Slashes, damages, etc...

[ Edited ]

love1492 wrote:
Almost every time i have had a spine slash its been on the plastic wrap not underneath so i can't see how its not the guys unpacking the box at best buy .i have never had a spine slash the was not on the plastic.

Personally, I've purchased just about every single steelbook that was ever released from FS & BB over the years, and only received a handful which had a cello cut combined with a spine slash.

Just received a copy from BB U.S. of "Doctor Strange" with the 3D disc and it had a spine slash, cello was fine. Different experience for different people I guess. Smiley Wink

The Captain
0 Kudos

Re: Upcoming SteelBooks Discussion Thread

I rarely have damaged steelbooks, but 2 of the Mummy collection ones had broken plastic disc holders, but replacement doesnt. Unfortunately I didnt take pics.
Community Manager

Hey everyone.

May I trouble some of you to send over some photos of damaged steelbooks, slashed spines, etc.?

I would like to show the various individuals involved what type of damage is present when customers receive steelbooks.

Thanks!

Our Charge Up & Play Contest for 2017 is happening now! Enter for a chance to win Best Buy gift cards. Learn more >

FYI: Thanks for posting on the forum. For those who are not aware, this is a peer-to-peer forum. The majority of posts on here are from members of the peer-to-peer community made up of other customers and forum participants. They provide great peer-to-peer advice and feedback. If you have a customer service matter or an inquiry about an order, please call customer service at 1-866-237-8289 to have your matter addressed.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

The Oracle

[ Edited ]

IMG_6928.JPG 

seriously now I am screwed. One had scratches on the back and this on the spine. I'm gonna have to call and get a discount on this as now the last time I had this much of a issue was Star Wars TFA @BBYTerence

Edit: this is the first time I have ever been offered a measly 10%. Wow $3 for a scratched spine. Guess my $1000's of dollars spending at bestbuy paid off. Guess ill have to buy 4 steelbooks at a time now