Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Re: Quality of Steelbooks - Spine Slashes, damages, etc...

@bjmaxvin67

I highly doubt that you will ever be banned. I'm sure if your store manager felt that it was becoming a problem, they would tell you first that they won't accept any more returns as a warning but not actually ban you at that point.

So for now I would say keep ordering extra copies without worry so that you do get a copy that you like! Smiley Happy

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

casey1985 wrote:

@bjmaxvin67

I understand.  I'm just letting you know that's why I am banned.

Are you saying you got banned from shopping at Best Buy Canada because you returned too many unopened copies?

I have never heard of that happening with Best Buy.

The Oracle
0 Kudos

At any rate I already canceled the dupicate orders of steelbooks like Beauty and the Beast and Fate of the Furious; but I still have one copy of each coming in the mail. Just hope there is nothing wrong or I will be out of luck not unless I can find another  copy in the store (but we all know that is unlikely). Smiley Wink

Epic Genius

@SonicBoom

Well it's not like they advertise the fact that they ban customers.

But it is true.  And yes they were all unopened. One manager from one store along with the approval of his district manager.

Anytime I place an order online, it gets cancelled a couple of days later without any notice to me. 

This happened back in September.  Shortly after the releases of The Huntsman: Winter's War and  Marvel's Captain America: Civil War .

I had to order multiple copies of Huntsman trying to find a decent copy.  I tried ordering more than once.  

All copies were either extremely scratched up, many had loose discs and some had both problems.  And of course I believe that was one of the titles that they forgot to include didgital copy codes.  Actually it was.  I never did find a decent copy.

I stopped trying.  Probably my own fault for trying to get a copy of that title anyway. Smiley Wink

So I ordered extra copies of Captain America to make sure I got a good copy of those.  I recall those were actually really good. No flaws at all.

So when I went to return the extra copies that's when the manager told me he wouldn't accept any further returns from me.

I stayed in the store for about an hour waiting, not leaving, until he finally accepted the returns and then I was banned.

Online as well.  When I asked what the problem was, he told me that somebody was removing the digital codes from the steelbooks and returning them.

He was referring to the Huntsman steelbooks.  The title that never had them in the first place.  

All steelbooks I returned were sealed, unopened.

He was clueless about the fact that somebody forgot to include the digital codes inside the steelbooks in Canada for that title.

So when I called customer service I found out that they now had me listed as a security risk.

@bjmaxvin67

I'm sorry to hear that you cancelled some of your extra orders. I hope you receive good copies.  If I were you I would continue to order extra copies.

The fact is these days, and for a very long time now as everyone very well knows, if you want to get a good copy of a steelbook, you have to pre-order, and order extra copies.

That's just the way it is.  

Legendary Epic Genius

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about that.  I dont' know the specifics to your situation, but if it was just over some missing digital codes, that sounds unfair.

However, I don't know the quantity of SteelBooks which you were returning, nor the frequency.

I have been ordering duplicates for many years now, but usually only one extra.  Several times I've also kept them so I have duplicates of many Future Shop and Best Buy SteelBooks.  However, I've also returned many, but this is over the span of eight years.

Everything I returned was above board and unopened and within the return time frame window.

I will also share with you all one secret.  Whenever I did a return, I would always respond to the feedback form on the receipt.  I would get the person's name and give them five-star feedback every time specifically for that person.

Those feedback forms did make it back to the employees at my store and guess what?  Over time, they recognized me as the guy that would give five-star feedback.  They all knew me by my first name and knew that if they helped me out, I would give them positive feedback that would eventually get to the store manager and back to them.

I find that this is even better than a tip.  I mean, you give someone a $2.00 or $5.00 tip, and that only gives them a few bucks. 

If you give them positive feedback to their direct manager, that is worth more to them than any tip.

Anyways, needless to say, I received excellent service from my local store every time.  It was almost embarrassing because when I entered the store, people would call out my name like Norm from the TV show CHEERS.

Epic Genius

@SonicBoom

It wasn't just a few copies that were missing the digital codes, it was the entire run.

Here's the thread on this forum from Sep. 21, 2016.  

http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/Movies-TV-Shows/Huntsman-winters-war-Steelbook-missing-digital-copy-cod...

I guess somehow I managed to remove the digital codes from every copy in Canada without disturbing the shrink wrap.  Or maybe I somehow re wrapped it to look new again.

Now that would be something since I can't even wrap a plate of leftovers.  Security risk indeed! Smiley LOL  

Epic Genius

La La Land was one of the worst I've seen in recent history from BBYC for defects.  Would say more than 60% I've seen.

Especially with slashed spine and tears in the plastic wrap:

01a.jpg

When I see this straight line, this is clearly an employee's fault. Could be anywhere in the process (store, warehouse, distributor, Scanavo, etc.), but that's for sure it's someone who doesn't know how to handle a box cutter.

Here's another one taken in March (don't even need an arrow to point the defect again:

02.jpg

@BBYTerence

Epic Genius

I'll repost as this is THE solution in my opinion.  By the way, this was done for Total Recall back in October 2015 (when it was handled by Future Shop)

Img_0016.jpgImg_0018.jpg

Epic Genius

The sticker idea is excellent, as long as someone pays attention to it.

I receive/ship movies regularly, the whole problem can be easily addressed with the addition of an extra cardboard layer/piece covering the top pf the content. Additional weight is basically none, and existing box size remains as is.

The problem stems from slicing open the tape at the box seam, and since boxes are very rarely taped tightly, any minimal pressure with a cutter will reach the product. Adding a cardboard layer, should help reduce damages.

Legendary Epic Genius

Good pictures.  I assume that the LA LA LAND spine slashes were also through the cellophane?

The sticker is a good idea too, but ultimately, I think Jacques' recommendation is a better solution to prevent spine slashes by adding an extra cardboard protection layer under the seam.