Scout

Steelbooks a wee bit expensive at $44.99

Hi everyone,

Do people find upcoming steelbooks such Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Wonder Woman a wee bit expensive at $44.99, with after taxes will be over $50.00?

I understand that we live in a free marker economy but being fleeced is another story. Obviously there will be huge demand for these titles, but how many are actual fans and how many are scalpers?

I remember years ago when Paramount released the Star Trek TV series at over $100.00 a season. Would they have sold more if they were not so greedy....

Just my two cents,

ma2017

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Re: Steelbooks a wee bit expensive at $44.99

ma2017 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Do people find upcoming steelbooks such Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Wonder Woman a wee bit expensive at $44.99, with after taxes will be over $50.00?

I understand that we live in a free marker economy but being fleeced is another story. Obviously there will be huge demand for these titles, but how many are actual fans and how many are scalpers?

I remember years ago when Paramount released the Star Trek TV series at over $100.00 a season. Would they have sold more if they were not so greedy....

Just my two cents,

ma2017

You'll have to do some digging through the "Upcoming Steelbook" thread, but this topic gets brought up a lot.

http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/Movies-TV-Shows/Upcoming-SteelBooks-Discussion-Thread/td-p/161109/page/...

That's the last instance I recall. The prices should drop by the time the movies are released -- likely closer to $39.99 or $36.99 (which will mean we will likely need to price adjust on release day), but yes, it's getting ridiculous. Some people are still willing to pay these outrageous prices (fans and scalpers alike), so I think they will only keep going up unfortunately.

I feel your pain. I'm an avid steelbook collector, but may go cold turkey if the prices stay this high.

Legendary Epic Genius

I agree that prices have been going up and of course I would like to see them drop lower.

It's an industry wide issue.  I see that many movies and SteelBooks are coming out with higher prices than before.

Keep in mind if you are patient, many of them drop in price after 3-6 mos., but if you are a SteelBook collector, it is harder because not all SteelBooks will drop in price and many won't even be available after Release Day.

I think the issue has more to do with lower physical media sales.  I don't know many people who still buy DVDs or Blu-rays anymore.  Most people I know are streaming online on NetFlix or outright pirating online through illegal downloads.

There are fewer places that even sell discs anymore, so that means that studios must be trying to recoup their costs or lost revenue through those of us remaining to collect.

Which brings me to another point -- as physical media sales is dwindling, not just in Canada, but around the world -- I think it would make most sense for BB to focus on exclusives and collectibles that distinguish them from other retailers.

I would never normally buy FIFTY SHADES OF GREY, GODS OF EGYPT or TWILIGHT.  However, put it in a shiny SteelBook and I'm sucker.  It's the sad truth.

For regular Amaray releases (the blue plastic case) I almost always wait until the price drops to $10 or less before I will consider purchasing.  However if it is an exclusive such as a lunchbox, or a lenticular slipcover, or an exclusive slipcover I will always take a second look.

If it's a SteelBook, then it's a done deal. Smiley Happy

I think if BB wants feedback from the community, they should look at more exclusives if they want to boost sales.  I don't read blu-ray release forums, but I do read SteelBook release forums daily and there are a lot of avid collectors out there.  I think BB sees that every time they sell out of a pre-order.

But yes, also lower the prices. Smiley Happy

Luminary
0 Kudos

Prices have been awful. I just figured $33.99 for the Alien Covenant steelbook, whatever I'll pass, thought nothing of it... UNTIL... I get to America, and the same exact steelbook is $21.99. THIS IS TWELVE DOLLARS LESS. Okay, our dollars aren't even, but AT WORST this would imply a $29.99 steel, CERTAINLY not 34. I bought it up quickly and sure enough, I was only charged $30.50 after taxes and exchange. This is an absolutely disgusting practice by Best Buy Canada, that I can get the exact same item CHEAPER in another country even after their tax and exchange. Truly pitiful. Steelbooks are becoming a first class item nowadays and it's arguably the same thing as the $25 one with a metal case.
Epic Genius
0 Kudos

@newmantrophy

Apples and Oranges, the exchange rate is not a measure for pricing by itself.

Blame the government policies for it, not BB.

The cost of doing business in Canada is absolutely ludicrous compared to the U.S., retailers are dropping like flies in this country. We don't even have volume potential, there's 326M Americans and 36M Canadians, you do the math.

The exchange part is a factor, but minimal, so if you think that $45 is high get ready for sticker shock starting next year when the new labour policies start kicking in.

Epic Genius

@Jacques1400

Minimum wages are going up in some places in the US as well.  Some places $15.00/hr. US.

Epic Genius

[ Edited ]

@casey1985

I'm not going to get political, this is simply not the place, but keep in mind these facts on your next purchase and why a simple currency exchange is not indicative of gouging:

There are no state taxes above 10%, average from what I see is around 5% or 6%.

The U.S. has no carbon tax.

Very few states have $15 an hour, but even if they did, U.S. employers are not burdened by rising healthcare, pension, mandatory minimum vacation time, and 1 year or more parental leave.

Some provinces charge recycling fees on electronics.

Additionally, some provinces are changing the rules to force employers to pay equal benefits to all regardless of being part time or full time employees.

Changing the rules to allow easier access for employees to be unionized.

Very few corporate tax breaks for businesses, and the federal government is re-evaluating that area with more stringent business rules reducing tax loopholes.

Overall operating costs per store rising due to utilities, business taxes and rent getting out of control.

Either Canadians believe these changes are for the better or for the worse is not my point or concern, but for every action there is a reaction. The reaction is increased costs of goods and services.

Where the exchange rate becomes a factor is in corporate earnings, BB is a U.S. corporation so profits for BB International (Canada & Mexico) are reported in USD.

Again, am I happy to pay more for everything, absolutely not.

I work as hard as anyone else to make ends meet, but in order to be competitive businesses need to keep prices in line with the competition and still turn a profit. Doing business in Canada is not a walk in the park.

Legendary Epic Genius

So ironically I was cleaning out my basement when I found this receipt from Best Buy from 2011.

Apparently, I paid $44.99 in 2011 dollars for PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES.

Maybe we aren't paying that much more after all.  The price hasn't changed for six years and we are getting a 4K disc out of it too. Smiley Happy

IMG_20170827_022831_sm.jpg

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

@SonicBoom

Thanks, I never thought about checking until now, my emails are archived dating way back to 2010.

Here's Finding Nemo 3D in 2012, that one was $36.99:

Futureshop.ca

We want to thank you for shopping at Futureshop.ca, and hope that you've enjoyed your online experience with us. Below, you'll find a few helpful links and information about your order, how to check its status, and more.

To check the status of your order, please click here.

If you ordered a major appliance or a big screen TV, your order may require a Scheduled Delivery. If so, we will send you an email to confirm your delivery date and time window.

If you selected Store Pickup for delivery, please wait until you receive a notification from us that it is ready for pickup. This notification contains important information about your pickup and information that we require. Your card will not be charged until you pick up the item.

Price Beat Promise

We’ll beat any price you find online, in-store, or in print by 10% of the difference! Some restrictions apply. Click here for terms and conditions.

Please do not respond to this email. If you need further assistance, our Customer Service Team will be happy to help at service@futureshop.com.

Please keep this email for your future reference.

This order contains

Order date: 05 Dec 2012, 09:02:27
Item name Quantity Price

Finding Nemo (Future Shop Exclusive) (3D Blu-ray Combo) 2 $73.98

For your convenience you can view order information 24 hours a day through

Order information

All Customers can:
» View updates on your order(s)
» Cancel unshipped orders
» Print copies of your invoice (Printable electronic invoice)

In addition, Futureshop.ca account holders can:
» Edit payment method for unshipped items
» And more...

For ground or air delivery, please note: Your order becomes a binding contract subject to the terms of the web site use agreement when Future Shop sends you a Shipment Notice Email.

Thank you for shopping at futureshop.ca
Highlighted
Epic Genius

[ Edited ]

Well here's some good news!  Apparently the Logan steelbook is now only $19.97 at Best Buy.  

Uh, that is if you can find one I guess.

The Independence Day: Resurgence steelbook is currently only $14.97

And

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (SteelBook) is only $8.97.

And there is 1 copy of the Gangs of New York (SteelBook) for $6.97