The Captain

Re: Upcoming SteelBook Discussion Thread

[ Edited ]

BBYTerence wrote:

Hey @Leprekon

...  We have different buyers at BBY Canada and BBY USA; they make their business decisions independently. I know that our buyers have to make their SteelBook purchasing desicions well in advance of each title's release date, and they try to do their absolute best to forcast what will be popular and what the demand might be for each. Of course, these are all forecasts and nothing is certain. Oftentimes, they have to make the tough call to pass on certain titles, and ultimately, that's their business decision. Often, there's a demand in one market that doesn't exist in another, so quite often, that is why you will see something offered in the U.S and not in Canada or vice-versa. 

@BBYTerence,

Sorry, but another question tied to this...

No offense at all intended (as I appreciate all the answers and time you've given me/us), but are you REALLY telling me that with movies such as "Secret Life of Pets", "Finding Dory", "Moana", and "Sing" (all prominent animated titles), your purchasers couldn't look at that list and see that ALL would sell?

I acknowledge that I cherry-picked a few recent examples to make my point, but I don't see how anyone couldn't look at those titles and come to the conclusion they have.

Again, I assume that there is something more to the decision making process, and having someone who does it for BBY Canada explain that process (paint a picture, so to speak) would be incredibly helpful, and probably worth 1000 other words.  Smiley Happy

LordCarnage

Luminary

Everyone collects Steelbooks for different reasons. I think it's difficult to say "definitely" what the majority of the buyers are.

So far my experiences as an avid "Steelbook Collector" have led me to believe that there are 3 basic collectors:

1. Someone who buys it, opens it, watches it, stores it away.
  2. Someone who buys it, doesn't open it, stores it away.
  3. Someone who buys it only to resell it.

You could add in a few variations to these basic types (namely for those who buy multiples). Some collector's are probably all 3 of those combined.

For me personally, I'm the first one.  I think it would be a shame not to open it and look at all the beautiful work that goes into "some" of the Steelbooks out there and put them out on display.

LordCarnage wrote:

BBYTerence wrote:

Hey, @Leprekon

You have very valid points. It is unfortunate BBY Canada doesn't have the titles you're interested in to add to your collection.

@BBYTerence,

You bring up another excellent point that I'd like to highlight...

You mentioned that it is unfortunate that BBY Canada doesn't have the titles @Leprekon is interested in.  Maybe it's just me, but I don't even want to go downstairs and see how many steelbooks I have that have NEVER been opened, and likely never will.

I am a steelbook collector, and I often buy movies BECAUSE there is a steelbook option available to be purchased, not just because I like the movie.  Your purchasers are not understanding their market, and that many will sell just because it is a steelbook.

LordCarnage

The Oracle
0 Kudos

I pretty much buy them to open and watch. I mostly buy the movie if it's in a steelbook then a bluray. The movies I want are pretty much the ones on US bestbuy that everyone has asked or other the other 2 retail chains. I had to buy Labyrinth, Maze Runner and a few others I can't remember. Some are Disney movies only available in Europe/Asia regions.
Community Manager

LordCarnage wrote:

BBYTerence wrote:

Hey, @Leprekon

You have very valid points. It is unfortunate BBY Canada doesn't have the titles you're interested in to add to your collection.

@BBYTerence,

You bring up another excellent point that I'd like to highlight...

You mentioned that it is unfortunate that BBY Canada doesn't have the titles @Leprekon is interested in.  Maybe it's just me, but I don't even want to go downstairs and see how many steelbooks I have that have NEVER been opened, and likely never will.

I am a steelbook collector, and I often buy movies BECAUSE there is a steelbook option available to be purchased, not just because I like the movie.  Your purchasers are not understanding their market, and that many will sell just because it is a steelbook.

LordCarnage

Yes, that is a good point as well. You very well could be right. Ultimately, the BBY Canada buyers/merchants/category managers (or whatever other industry term you all have used to refer to them) have to make decisions regarding their category, and sometimes they decide not to sell certain things, when in fact, sometimes certain things might be quite popular. I'm sure there's a lot that goes into it for them, and oftentimes, they will adjust their business strategies over time at their discretion.

Our Charge Up & Play Contest for 2017 is happening now! Enter for a chance to win Best Buy gift cards. Learn more >

FYI: Thanks for posting on the forum. For those who are not aware, this is a peer-to-peer forum. The majority of posts on here are from members of the peer-to-peer community made up of other customers and forum participants. They provide great peer-to-peer advice and feedback. If you have a customer service matter or an inquiry about an order, please call customer service at 1-866-237-8289 to have your matter addressed.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Community Manager

Hey.

There definitely is a lot that goes into their decision making process, and ultimately, they are responsible for their business category; sometimes it means they don't carry certain products. I know it's frustrating when there is no definite answer, but it comes down to them making a call to not carry certain products for sometimes simple and sometimes more complicated reasons, with many business variables involved. As I mentioned earlier, sometimes these merchants just have to make the tough call to not carry something, knowing that there might still be some potential customers interested. We can't discuss BBYC's behind the scenes business strategy regarding steelbooks, but the forum (myself included) would not be privy to that type of information anyway.

The buyers/category managers/merchants most likely won't participate on the forum, and I cannot guarantee or promise that any of them will join the conversation on the forum at my request either. I just wanted to be clear about that so that no one here has the expectation that someone from that side of the business will participate on the forum regarding these inquiries. They always try their absolute best to be helpful, and they normally give us info as promoptly as possible for us to make announcements, but I cannot promise that someone from those teams will log on to answer these questions, and I can't force them to do that either Smiley Happy Of course, I always ensure they are aware of what's being discussed so they can use that info to make their business decisions. Smiley Happy If some of those merchants would like to post something themselves, I will direct them to this thread.

I apologize for going off topic, as this conversation is slowly turning more into a discussion about hypothetical retail strategies. I'm also sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news. I understand it's frustrating that some of you can't purchase the titles that you want from BBYC. I know it's disappointing, but unfortunatley, BBYC will not have certain steel books available.

Our Charge Up & Play Contest for 2017 is happening now! Enter for a chance to win Best Buy gift cards. Learn more >

FYI: Thanks for posting on the forum. For those who are not aware, this is a peer-to-peer forum. The majority of posts on here are from members of the peer-to-peer community made up of other customers and forum participants. They provide great peer-to-peer advice and feedback. If you have a customer service matter or an inquiry about an order, please call customer service at 1-866-237-8289 to have your matter addressed.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Community Manager

A big thank you to everyone for your patience. I know sometimes there are some gaps in which you're all waiting to receive another update. Sometimes we are able to get very quick answers, and sometimes it takes us a while to get confirmation. We will continue to do our best to keep everyone in the loop.

Cheers,

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BBYTerence wrote:

Hey.

There definitely is a lot that goes into their decision making process, and ultimately, they are responsible for their business category; sometimes it means they don't carry certain products. I know it's frustrating when there is no definite answer, but it comes down to them making a call to not carry certain products for sometimes simple and sometimes more complicated reasons, with many business variables involved. As I mentioned earlier, sometimes these merchants just have to make the tough call to not carry something, knowing that there might still be some potential customers interested. We can't discuss BBYC's behind the scenes business strategy regarding steelbooks, but the forum (myself included) would not be privy to that type of information anyway.

The buyers/category managers/merchants most likely won't participate on the forum, and I cannot guarantee or promise that any of them will join the conversation on the forum at my request either. I just wanted to be clear about that so that no one here has the expectation that someone from that side of the business will participate on the forum regarding these inquiries. They always try their absolute best to be helpful, and they normally give us info as promoptly as possible for us to make announcements, but I cannot promise that someone from those teams will log on to answer these questions, and I can't force them to do that either Smiley Happy Of course, I always ensure they are aware of what's being discussed so they can use that info to make their business decisions. Smiley Happy If some of those merchants would like to post something themselves, I will direct them to this thread.

I apologize for going off topic, as this conversation is slowly turning more into a discussion about hypothetical retail strategies. I'm also sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news. I understand it's frustrating that some of you can't purchase the titles that you want from BBYC. I know it's disappointing, but unfortunatley, BBYC will not have certain steel books available.

I appreciate this response @BBYTerence, but find it really disappointing that you felt the need to answer to adults on a forum asking about the availability of steelbooks when you have already answered most of the queries. We don't deserve that kind of explanation, and I hope this shuts down any future complaining about what Best Buy Canada will and will not carry. We all obviously love to collect, but so many of us are not taking in the bigger business picture, and I genuinely fear for what some of us will do in the future when physical media is all but extinct.

I hope to still grab future titles from Best Buy, but will not be angry if I need to look elsewhere from now on.

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Marcus05 wrote:

Everyone collects Steelbooks for different reasons. I think it's difficult to say "definitely" what the majority of the buyers are.

So far my experiences as an avid "Steelbook Collector" have led me to believe that there are 3 basic collectors:

1. Someone who buys it, opens it, watches it, stores it away.
  2. Someone who buys it, doesn't open it, stores it away.
  3. Someone who buys it only to resell it.

You could add in a few variations to these basic types (namely for those who buy multiples). Some collector's are probably all 3 of those combined.

For me personally, I'm the first one.  I think it would be a shame not to open it and look at all the beautiful work that goes into "some" of the Steelbooks out there and put them out on display.

I feel like this hits the nail on the head in regards to steelbooks. I like to collect steels for the look and the movie, and have opened nearly all of them. I have zero interest in disappointing or garbage movies just because they are in steelbook format, and I feel like a large number of people would agree. Why else would I still find dozens of copies of the steelbook for the reboot of Fantastic Four at every Best Buy store I visit?

Highlighted
Epic Genius

[ Edited ]

I'm just guessing, but at this point I wonder if steelbooks are even profitable in Canada anymore now that they are widely available all over the world.  I believe that a lot of sales of steelbooks from Future Shop and Best Buy were the result of people buying multiple copies to resell on reseller sites.

Like all of those Canadian exclusive Mondo Steelbooks.  I see all the group buys for sites like Hi-Def Ninja.

I know when the Mondos went on sale at deep discounts here that someone on this forum was taking many, many, many orders from around the world and cleaning out the Best Buy Stock.

But that was Mondo.  I don't think the days of Canadian exclusives are coming back.

I know a lot of people on this forum seem to want a steelbook for almost every theatrical release even before they have even seen the movie.  But you are the fanatics.  This is not the case with every movie buyer in Canada.

But come on. Inferno?  It was a bomb at the box office taking in only $10 million it's opening weekend.

Why would they make a steelbook for that?  

I realize that there are people who would buy steelbooks for movies they don't even like or haven't even seen. 

But like I said, now that they are available all over the world in many different packages on all the jungle sites in France, Italy, Germany and a steelbook being released every day (sometimes 2) on that UK "Z" site with a much wider selection of titles, people in those countries no longer have to rely on Canadian steelbooks on reseller sites.

In fact from what I see on the reseller sites, Canadians are now selling more of the European releases on the resller sites than the Canadian releases.

And look at all of the past steelbooks that Best Buy still has in stock.  

Still trying to get rid of them at very reduced prices right now.

Chappie,

Now You See Me 1 & 2,

Huntsman Winter's War,

TMNT 2, 

San Andreas

Hercules

Hangover Pat II

Hunger Games Catching Fire

Spectre

Independence Day Resurgence

Avengers Age of Ultron: Vision

Ghostbusters 4K (this would have sold better without the 4K)

X-Men Apocalypse

and others.

One last thing.  Do you see where the movies section is listed on the Best Buy site?  It's tucked inside the Video Games section in the side bar.

With all the craziness lately for the releases of Nintendo NES Classic and the Nintendo Switch and all of the listings for video games, I really don't think movies, and steelbooks are a priority.

This of course isn't a retailer that only deals in movies and music.  There is only 1 of those left in Canada.

Other products are more of a priority for Best Buy.  More sales.  More profit.  And I don't blame them.

Go where the money is.

I used to go into Future Shop and Best Buy 2 or 3 times a week just to see what was new in movies and then look around and see what else there was in electronics.

Now with very little movies left on the shelves I no longer go into the stores.  

But as somebody who buys movies, I am not the type of customer they are looking for.  I'm not looking to buy anything that starts with the letter "i".  I'm not looking for a computer, or a smart phone, or anything that you can buy geek squad service or extended warranties for.

I'm a dinosaur.

Extinct.

Legendary Epic Genius

casey1985 wrote:

But come on. Inferno?  It was a bomb at the box office taking in only $10 million it's opening weekend.

Why would they make a steelbook for that?  

Literally agree with every single thing you wrote @casey1985, but nothing more than this statement. It's the exact same thing I think on at least 75% of the "are we getting a ____ steelbook?" threads, and am genuinely curious if these same people actually pay to see some of these awful titles they ask about.