The Captain
0 Kudos

Re: Upcoming SteelBooks Discussion Thread

I just got my Steelbooks for IT and Dunkirk at the "records" store and I'm frustrated that they haven't released a 4K steelbook edition. I would like to know from you... do you double dip when it is like that (get the 4k and the Steelbook and switch cases), or you just keep the blu-ray standard version?

Legendary Epic Genius

@duduvipe

Depends how serious a collector you are (or intend to be,) in addition to your OCD level and completionist state. Smiley LOL

Serious collectors tend to stick to original releases, in other words matching the "J" card which they keep.

Many collectors don't even open the movies they purchase, having them sealed and brand new is the only way to go.

In the case of "It", BB US had a 4K edition which is what a collector would look for if they wanted a 4K release.

This said, nothing stops anyone from exchanging the contents, but keeping the originals in a safe place so that the steelbook retains it's collectibility, it's a common practice.

As an example, most studios include only a bare bones DVD in Combo packs, yet the retail standalone DVD copy may contain all the special features, so I switch the DVD copy around, but still retain the original stored safely in a box somewhere.

It's what makes you happy, unless you're trying to turn your collection into an investment, then original material is key. Smiley Wink

Legendary Epic Genius

It's rare, but I've started double dipping for really some particular movies (movies I'll watch and rewatch many times) and why not invest in the latest technology: 4K to be future proof.

By exemple Wonder Woman:

The Steelbook from BBY was just terrible.  Hated the comic/cheap look so passed on the 4K combo.  BUT, ordered the steelbook (3D+2D combo) from overseas for cheap and received the 4K+2D combo for Christmas from BBYC.  Swapped the discs, resold the useless 3D+2D discs and voilà!

My only concern is that the spine doesn't match the exact content, but as I have a custom slipcase on it, I don't mind Smiley LOL

Legendary Epic Genius

I started double-dipping recently on titles which I love, like WONDER WOMAN.

However, I've never sold any discs even though I don't see the value in buying 4K now when I don't have a 4K system.

I used to purchase 3D discs only, or 3D Blu-rays to swap with the SteelBook.  However, it just created confusion in my collection because now I have to store the 2D disc in the 3D case and I would grab the case thinking the 3D was in it when it was not.  Now I just keep the discs in their original packaging and just store the movies together.

I didn't like the WW comic art at first, but then when I found out it was a worldwide exclusive, I couldn't give it up.  The art is not bad.  I just prefer comic art for animated movies.

Highlighted
The Oracle

Got a confirmation on twitter that Jumanji & Dark Crystal steelbooks is going to be a Sun R exclusive as well they will have a Exclusive Blade Runner 2049 with a spinner car model.
Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

Leprekon wrote:
Got a confirmation on twitter that Jumanji & Dark Crystal steelbooks is going to be a Sun R exclusive as well they will have a Exclusive Blade Runner 2049 with a spinner car model.

Thank You @Leprekon for that excellent bit of news! Smiley Very Happy I do not know what is happening at Best Buy Canada and their decline in Steelbook exclusives but I am glad Funrise Records is picking up the slack and offering Jumanji & Dark Crystal steelbooks. Smiley Happy

The Captain
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the info! It's a shame that Funrise don't have a website to order online, and don't have a points program. I've been spending all my money on their steelbooks!

The Oracle

Ya I only asked them if there were anymore in the future after having to go on a goose chase for IT steelbook when I found out from there twitter my local stores shipment is MIA and not gonna turn up. Glad I could help @bjmaxvin67. I’m sure @Drum18 will post it on HDN
Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

duduvipe wrote:

Thanks for the info! It's a shame that Funrise don't have a website to order online, and don't have a points program. I've been spending all my money on their steelbooks!

Yes @duduvipe it is sad they do not have a website to order online; but you can call the store in the morning the day the Jumanji & Dark Crystal steelbooks are released and ask for them to hold you a copy. They have held copies for me for last few titles like Dunkirk, The Dark Tower and IT; then I give them my name and I go in to pick it up. Smiley Happy

Luminary
0 Kudos

Any idea @Leprekon if the Jumanji steelbook will include a 4k version?