Pioneer
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

What's up with Bestbuy Canada's bluray steelbook supply?

[ Edited ]

What's up with Bestbuy Canada's bluray steelbook supply?

They barely hit the shelves anymore these days and the only way you can get a copy is to pre-order them online.  Bestbuy US is a lot better.  Some steelbooks don't even get released here, or even if they were.. they're missing 4K or 3D versions.   For example, Kong: Skull Island steelbook is missing the 3D disc here (US has it)  .   Assassin's Creed The Movie steelbook was only available in regular bluray (US has the 4K version).   WTH??

Epic Genius

Re: What's up with Bestbuy Canada's bluray steelbook supply?

@dcferrari13

If you go through the forum you will find various threads & posts that touch on this subject.

1. BB U.S. cannot be compared, they have the population, we don't.

2. The U.S. business validates them offering more choices for the same title, not so much here.

3. Many Steelbooks are online exclusives lately, so you won't find them in stores, which is no big deal considering stores only received minimal stock for about 6 months or more, and I'm talking 3,4,5 copies only.

4. In store Physical Media appears to be on the endangered species list, it's down to a couple of shelves.

5. 3D is on it's last leg, Canada has been short changed for about a year now, many titles never made it to retail in Canada.

Why? see 1.

That's it in a nutshell, you want more details, go through the threads. Smiley Wink

Epic Genius

@Jacques1400

This is an excellent summary without a word wasted.

I hope you have this saved on your computer somewhere so that you can just copy and paste it whenever the question comes up in various forms.

I think it's going to be asked a lot more often. Smiley Happy

Luminary

[ Edited ]

Sadly @casey1985 this is a question that is going to be asked a lot more often and @Jacques1400 summerized it perfectly. But I do not think this is the question @dcferrari13 asked and unfortunately there is no answer from members from this forum; we can only speculate and guess.  This seems to be a common topic that is constantly being beaten like a pinata with the hopes maybe someone will finally break it open and all our Best Buy bluray and steelbook question will be answered. Unfortunately, the only ones who can answer these questions are the media team and someone else from that side of the business.  Since that is not the movies team, buyers/category managers/merchants job; we cannot expect them to log on to participate on the forum regarding these inquiries and we cannot force them to do that either to answer these question. We can only expect to see more of the same questions being asked at any given time because not everybody is going to remember what was asked or discusses 2 weeks ago let alone 6 months ago. Smiley Happy  

Luminary
0 Kudos

I don't know about you but I've about had it up to here with the prices of the steelbooks. At first I thought $34.99 for The Lion King wasn't bad as it came with a film frame.

Then I found out the standard blu-ray version of that release came with the film frame. You're telling me I have to pay $10 more for a metal case? It used to be only $2-5 more. This is seriously not worth it at all, and if I hadn't opened it already it would be going back to the store.
Legendary Epic Genius

newmantrophy wrote:
I don't know about you but I've about had it up to here with the prices of the steelbooks. At first I thought $34.99 for The Lion King wasn't bad as it came with a film frame.

Then I found out the standard blu-ray version of that release came with the film frame. You're telling me I have to pay $10 more for a metal case? It used to be only $2-5 more. This is seriously not worth it at all, and if I hadn't opened it already it would be going back to the store.

We have a thread for that too -- http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/Movies-TV-Shows/Steelbooks-a-wee-bit-expensive-at-44-99/td-p/178150

But yes, I too am not a fan of the inflated steelbook prices for some titles.

Epic Genius

@newmantrophy

You already expressed your views regarding pricing here:

http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/Movies-TV-Shows/Steelbooks-a-wee-bit-expensive-at-44-99/td-p/178150

The end result was that Steelbook pricing has not really changed much from the legacy FS days:

http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/Movies-TV-Shows/Steelbooks-a-wee-bit-expensive-at-44-99/m-p/178930#M506...

http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/Movies-TV-Shows/Steelbooks-a-wee-bit-expensive-at-44-99/m-p/178931#M506...

You more than likely missed the above posts, so here they are.

Agreed, the price of standard release BD's has dropped in the last 6 years or so, but Steelbooks have always been a collectors item. From your comments, it appears you are not in that category.

Sure collectors would also love to have a steelbook at the same price as the retail copy, hell, I miss the days where FS gave you a steelbook free with the purchase of the movie, but that was then this is now.

Ironically, the Lion King Diamond Edition was released in a Viva in Sept 2011, and BB U.S. was trying out a pre-sell format at the time. You pre-ordered the retail copy and for $7.50 immediately received the Viva case, and that was in 2011.

You do the math.

vlcsnap-2017-09-05-15h17m01s078.JPG

Highlighted
Luminary

Jacques1400 wrote:

Ironically, the Lion King Diamond Edition was released in a Viva in Sept 2011, and BB U.S. was trying out a pre-sell format at the time. You pre-ordered the retail copy and for $7.50 immediately received the Viva case, and that was in 2011.

vlcsnap-2017-09-05-15h17m01s078.JPG

Sadly @Jacques1400,  I really missed out on this little treasure The Lion King Diamond Edition  and a Vivas Metalpak for 7.50 before taxes that is amazing. This is a far cry from some of the prices I have seen for a Vivas The Lion King Diamond Edition on evilbay for example $99.99 which is ridiculous. Smiley Happy @newmantrophy you are preaching to the choir and we have discussed this ad nauseum; while I too am not a fan of the inflated steelbook prices for some titles; the decision to purchase is placed solely  on us as consumers, if you do not want it don't buy the steelbook; then don't. We are all in the same boat that is unless one of us has money that grows on trees or have won a Lotto 6/49 jackpot; money will always be a determining factor in buying or not buying steelbooks. Smiley Very Happy