Highlighted
Epic Genius

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?

[ Edited ]

@SonicBoom

Excellent post!

Lots of great ideas.  I know of the types of releases you're referring to and it would be awesome if something like that were available for purchase here!

Perhaps @BBYTerence could shoot you a private message if he isn't familair with these sites and you could point him in the right direction.  I'm not saying to get those exact releases (because I know they are exclusives) but so Best Buy can come up with their own exclusives as you mentioned.

Thank you for bringing those up!

Legendary Oracle
Legendary Oracle

Action movies are my guilty pleasures.

Legendary Epic Genius

I just want more variety and availability of catalogue titles (like Criterion and Shout releases), and more competitive pricing. After the first week, it seems like most titles shoot up in price and never come back down -- until the likes of Boxing Day. Having updated price stickers on sorted items will go a long way too -- along with updated signage -- instead of whatever wild, wild west sorting system is being used right now.

Also -- I'd really prefer steelbook pricing to come down before I am completed priced out of collecting them. If 3D or 4K discs are not being included, there's no reason why any new releases should be over $29.99...especially if the non-steel version is selling for $24.99 or lower. 

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

@casey1985 @SonicBoom

Even though that would be awesome, let's be somewhat realistic.

BB is in a retail environment, not "Boutique Labels".

They need a variety which will results in increased sales, and even though collectors are part of that, it's a very small contribution. Digibooks, Lenticular Covers & Steelbooks are great ideas as exclusives, better than swag, toys or colouring books which is pretty much a hard sell.

Even exclusive slipcovers (O Ring) work great, look at the FS exclusive "Drive" Scorpion slipcover that was released, people are asking a fortune for a used copy if you can even locate one.

I'm simply trying to say that the choices need to appeal to the masses, not a select group.

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

@Jacques1400  @SonicBoom

@BBYTerence has asked us what we would like to see as far as movies go.

I think all ideas are good ideas and the more of them the better.

I'm hoping to see more ideas posted from others who come here to read the Movies threads.

Epic Genius

My main reason to buy SteelBooks now is the re-watch value.  So if a movie is good/great AND can offer me some rewatch value, then I'll invest few more $$$ into a steel.  So yeah, this means Blockbuster movies.  Sorry to be boring, but my hard earned money needs to be sent to something I'll enjoy more than a single time.

By exemple Spotlight (2016 Oscar for best movie) is really a great movie, but how much re-watchable is it?  I so prefer to buy pre-viewed or rent it.

The same with now the dead (in my book) Mondo X SteelBook serie.  At first, the movie were good choice... but the more it went, the more uninteresting.  Did I buy... well no.

Also, as a long time Blu-ray/SteelBook buyer, I already have pretty much everything I wanted in those metal case.  Of course, I'm still waiting for True Lies and The Abyss, but those two movies still hasn't been made in Blu-ray yet (in 2017 for fr**** sake...)

Second, the ART is really important.  Let's all forget about those POP ART series **bleep**.  Movie posters are well worked on, well received and give the proper sense of a movie, so let's stick with that.

So, as I said before, I may be boring, but for ME, it's all about Blockbusters movies.  Here's the list I did before that I would buy a SteelBook case:

- 05/05 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
 - 05/12 King Arthur: Legend of the sword  (haven't seen yet, and reviews aren't good at all...)
 - 05/19 Alien: Covenant
 - 05/19 Baywatch
 - 05/26 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (5)
 - 06/02 Wonder Woman
 - 06/09 The Mummy
 - 06/16 Pixar Cars 3
 - 06/23 Transformers: The Last Knight (5)
 - 06/30 Despicable Me 3
 - 07/07 Spider-Man: Homecoming
 - 07/14 War for the Planet of the Apes (3)
 - 07/21 Dunkirk
 - 07/21 Valerian and the city of a thousand Planets (not sure at all...)
 - 07/28 Atomic blonde (seems interesting with Charlize)
 - 08/04 The Dark Tower
 - 08/18 The Hitmans Bodyguard
 - 09/22 The Lego Ninjago Movie
 - 10/06 Blade Runner 2049
 - 10/06 Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2)
 - 11/03 Thor: Ragnarok
 - 11/17 Justice League
 - 11/22 Pixars Coco
 - 12/15 Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

@BBYTerence

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Drum18 wrote:

So, as I said before, I may be boring, but for ME, it's all about Blockbusters movies.  Here's the list I did before that I would buy a SteelBook case:

- 05/05 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
 - 05/12 King Arthur: Legend of the sword  (haven't seen yet, and reviews aren't good at all...)
 - 05/19 Alien: Covenant
 - 05/19 Baywatch
 - 05/26 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (5)
 - 06/02 Wonder Woman
 - 06/09 The Mummy
 - 06/16 Pixar Cars 3
 - 06/23 Transformers: The Last Knight (5)
 - 06/30 Despicable Me 3
 - 07/07 Spider-Man: Homecoming
 - 07/14 War for the Planet of the Apes (3)
 - 07/21 Dunkirk
 - 07/21 Valerian and the city of a thousand Planets (not sure at all...)
 - 07/28 Atomic blonde (seems interesting with Charlize)
 - 08/04 The Dark Tower
 - 08/18 The Hitmans Bodyguard
 - 09/22 The Lego Ninjago Movie
 - 10/06 Blade Runner 2049
 - 10/06 Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2)
 - 11/03 Thor: Ragnarok
 - 11/17 Justice League
 - 11/22 Pixars Coco
 - 12/15 Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

@BBYTerence

I think we should wait and see how some of those films do before you start asking or saying people will buy steelbooks for them. King Arthur is the biggest flop of the year so far, and Dark Tower won't do much better. The Hitman's Bodyguard is also far from blockbuster status -- you can tell no one will go see it immediately.

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Jacques1400 wrote:

@casey1985 @SonicBoom

Even exclusive slipcovers (O Ring) work great, look at the FS exclusive "Drive" Scorpion slipcover that was released, people are asking a fortune for a used copy if you can even locate one.

I'm simply trying to say that the choices need to appeal to the masses, not a select group.

Kind of glad I kept the scorpion cover now despite buying the Mondo steel. Smiley Very Happy

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Yup @pikachuforever  
I'm a fan of the King Arthur mytho and also loved Hunman in Sons of Anarchy, but seems like this movie is a huuuuuuuge bomb at the box office.  But, it's a Warner release and they are known to love SteelBook cases so... who knows...

The Dark Tower, I'm not a fan either.  I'm just following the buzz (or kinda) around it.  With Elba and McConaughey as the stars of it, I'm pretty sure Sony will try all their best to push this release...  who knows...

Oh and Hitman's bodyguard is just an happy thinking of mine as the combo of Reynolds and Samuel M...F... L. Jackson seems wayyyyy toooo much fun to pass!  Smiley LOL Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Afusxc2SM

But, in all honesty, I now understand how hard it can be to be a Product buyers as those people need to take those decision even BEFORE the movie hit the theaters.  They don't/can't wait to see how it goes at the box office to make a decision about ordering this or that... it's all about gamble.   :cough: XXX3 :cough:

The Oracle
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I would like to see (if at all possible) collector sets of old Sid Marty Krofft shows, live action television and cartoon series by Filmation like Jason of Star Command and cartoons like The Adventures of Flash Gordon ( yes I am "Dating myself" but when you get ready to hit that half century mark you some of the older thing you watched) Smiley LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_works_produced_by_Filmation 

Maybe having complete box sets of show from Rainmaker Entertainment, Inc. (formerly Mainframe Entertainment Inc) for example complete sets of the cartoon series REBOOT, Shadow Raiders and Transformers Beast Wars. Also maybe some complete boxsets of Disney television cartoon series like Gargoyles and Tailspin. Hey this just a wish list I do not know if it will come to pass; but one can dream. Smiley LOL

*EDIT* I also forgot to add box sets of series like A Different World, All in the Family, Sanford and Son, One Day at a Time, The Jeffersons, Good Times, and Maude.