Community Manager

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?

@bjmaxvin67

Yes, I remember the idea that @Jacques1400 suggested. I passed that along.

I will also pass along the concerns regarding the slash spines.

Our Charge Up & Play Contest for 2017 is happening now! Enter for a chance to win Best Buy gift cards.

FYI: Thanks for posting on the forum. For those who are not aware, this is a peer-to-peer forum. The majority of posts on here are from members of the peer-to-peer community made up of other customers and forum participants. They provide great peer-to-peer advice and feedback. If you have a customer service matter or an inquiry about an order, please call customer service at 1-866-237-8289 to have your matter addressed.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Epic Genius

Drum18 wrote:

I just need to add

Makes me laugh... Group Buys... the last "massive" GB I had was in 2015... so if peolpe miss out the pre-order phase, it's not because of those...

Agreed, it's not a major factor at this time since the selection of collectibles has been pretty much downsized upon the transition of FS into BB, accordingly in 2015.

Fact still remains that if BB was to releases a Canadian exclusive, it wouldl look pretty attractive at a 30% discount to foreign collectors.

As it stands, it's the other way around these days, but it's still a factor to be mentionned.

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

30% discount and then, you need to add the completely insane / deal breaker shipping cost from Canada Post.

The Oracle
0 Kudos

Hey @Drum18 and @Jacques1400,

Sorry for showing my ignorance but I have no idea how steel book group buys worked during the days of Future Shop. Smiley Very Happy I became interested in steelbooks  around Sept 2013; approx 2 years before steelbooks downsized upon the transition of FS into BB, accordingly in 2015. The closes I became to being aware of group buys is when 2012 and Future Shop had their exclusive John Carter steelbook and seeing how many Americans wanted to get their hands on this movie (wish I had picked one up but my dumb a** had no idea how popular they were or no interest in steelbooks at that time). Could you explain hoe this works and could this idea work for Canadians wanting to get certain titles in the USA.

http://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=steelbook+group+buy&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&e...

Epic Genius

@bjmaxvin67

Concept is simple:

A member of a forum or blog located in the country of the product, offers his assistance to purchase copies for other forum members worldwide, who otherwise would have to go through hoarders.

It started as a service for Collectors doing cost + shipping + a couple of bucks extra for the trouble.

Problem is that hoarders also saw opportunities by joining these forums, thus marketing purchases at a set price + shipping,  without incurring extra fees charged by auction sites. Call it evolution of a favourable concept....

Legendary Epic Genius

[ Edited ]

I'm not either of those two guys, but I can answer your question.

There is basically an organized purchase where you pay a private individual the cost of the SteelBook + shipping + nominal fee and they will get the SteelBook and ship it to you wherever you are (yes, even to Canada).

It costs a little more than ordering directly from the retailer (if that is even an option) but there are several advantages:

o  you are more likely secured a copy

o  you will get a copy without a spine slash or dent because the owner of the GB will inspect each item.

o  you have access to many more SteelBooks that otherwise would not ship to Canada.

o  it will be properly packaged because these are fellow collectors shipping them out

Once you commit, there is no backing out or you will be blackballed by the community.  This can sometimes be a problem because if Best Buy Canada announces a SteelBook later, you may be stuck with a previous GB order.  That is the risk.

It would help everyone involved (Best Buy and collectors) for BB to announce and accept pre-orders as soon as possible.  That way, I wouldn't pre-order with a GB someplace else as I prefer to shop Canadian whenever possible.

Highlighted
The Oracle

No @SonicBoom my friend you may not either of those two guys, but your input and advice are always greatly appreciated and respected and you and @Jacques1400 both answered my questioned beautifully. Thank you to you both; on a side note as you stated SonicBoom it would help everyone involved (Best Buy and collectors) for BB to announce and accept pre-orders as soon as possible. That way, we wouldn't pre-order with a GB someplace else as I also prefer to shop Canadian whenever possible. 

Luminary

Steelbooks, Steelbooks, STEELBOOKS!!

That's pretty much the only physical media that I currently buy. With the exception of the odd 3D title that I pick up on sale.

TV shows? No. The only TV show that I've purchased and probably ever will is "Game of Thrones"....and they were Steelbooks.

There have been a few titles lately that have caught my eye that were not of the Steelbook kind (in Canada that is). Like Heat's "Directors Definitive Edition" for example. When a movie gets re-released with a new high quality transfer (in this case 4K), and/or a new audio track to accompany it (aka. Dolby Atmos). These new exciting features draw my attention to them. Now if they only were released in STEELBOOK!

Now don't think for a second that I would like to see every movie released in Steelbook. Cause it just wouldn't be right and quite frankly it would be an insult to Steelbooks that have come before them. Could you imagine if they released "Mean Girls" on Steelbook? I mean no offense for those who like that movie or movies like that, but it has no business being one. So the question is "what should be"?.....and the answer, i think, is simple.....

BLOCKBUSTERS (NEW or OLD)

Which is my basic answer to the above question as well. If Best Buy is looking to survive with physical media (and all my fingers are crossed) stick with what sells and sell it hard.

The Captain

[ Edited ]

So, I went into the Langley store that is currently under renovation. The movies have been compressed into one micro-isle. Although they're under renovation, the store staff (a couple of different people I talked to) said that it won't be much more than this when all is said and done. Let me emphasize, that there was next to nothing there.

If this is the way it's going to be, I'll be moving my shopping exclusively to **competitor** (you know who I'm talking about...) their online experience is FAR AND AWAY superior to the Best Buy online shopping experience, if that's the route I'm forced to buy movies through.

I make a point to buy as many of my movies (I own around 1,600) at Best Buy, particularly for the cool exclusives. I like browsing the isles and taking time to make up my mind. Elimination or significant enough reduction in the instore offering would probably bring my Best Buy spend down from about $50-$100/month (just for movies), down to nothing.

For the record, I've bought Steelbooks from Best Buy Future Shop, starting with the holy grail Iron Man steel, all the way to Life 4K last week. I'm buying a lot of 4K and "cool" exclusive editions.

Legendary Hero of the Universe

That's just the way the whole industry is going, more and more people are shopping online so retails stock less items, its only a matter of time until brick and mortar stores are a thing for archaeologists to discover

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg