The Captain
0 Kudos

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?

Actually the three other retailers that did not stock the 3D version only did not BECAUSE this was a Best Buy exclusive.  Those retailers carry 3D versions when they are available to them, and this was not.  And  Nightcrawler was available in the exact same configuration without the Steelbooks, so the customer could choose, so it was a lower profile release and the bluray wasn't only available in the Steelbook, so yes, the demand is lower.  This constant talk of 3D dying while my local BB cannot keep even regular 3D releases in stock through the day of release means that somebody isn't ordering correctly.  I've had to get several of the last 3D releases elsewhere because they didn't have stoc by the end of the day.  I didn't really want the Steelbook for GOTG2, but I wanted the discs inside and didn't know they only came in that configuration until the week before.  I still can't tell if the Spiderman 4K Steelbook comes with the 3D disc so I haven't preordered.  I guess I could preorder and return it, but do you see the problem.  I shouldn't have to worry about how many different configurations there are months before the release and should be able to go to the store on release day and pick up a package with the 3D disc in it if that is what I want to purchase. Actually, Sony was doing it right with 4K initially, and I could just buy the 4K release and it would include the 3D if it existed.  Disney did that with 3D at the beginning with their 3D Bluray releases including the 3D, regular Blu and DVD, and that is what got me to buy the 3D tv since I already had a few 3D discs because they were part of the deluxe Blu release.  Then the companies shot themselves in the foot with exclusive bundles like Avatar only coming with a Panasonic tv or Shrek with a Samsung tv.  Passive 3D on an LG OLED is unbelievable, but the road to get there was brutal and the vendors screwed the customers and now don't have the patience to win them back, after killing their goodwill. 

The Oracle

@bgillander

I don't recall exactly but It was somwhere after 1 PM and before 2 PM.

Highlighted
Legendary Epic Genius

[ Edited ]

bgillander wrote:

Actually the three other retailers that did not stock the 3D version only did not BECAUSE this was a Best Buy exclusive.  Those retailers carry 3D versions when they are available to them, and this was not.  And  Nightcrawler was available in the exact same configuration without the Steelbooks, so the customer could choose, so it was a lower profile release and the bluray wasn't only available in the Steelbook, so yes, the demand is lower.  This constant talk of 3D dying while my local BB cannot keep even regular 3D releases in stock through the day of release means that somebody isn't ordering correctly.  I've had to get several of the last 3D releases elsewhere because they didn't have stoc by the end of the day.  I didn't really want the Steelbook for GOTG2, but I wanted the discs inside and didn't know they only came in that configuration until the week before.  I still can't tell if the Spiderman 4K Steelbook comes with the 3D disc so I haven't preordered.  I guess I could preorder and return it, but do you see the problem.  I shouldn't have to worry about how many different configurations there are months before the release and should be able to go to the store on release day and pick up a package with the 3D disc in it if that is what I want to purchase. Actually, Sony was doing it right with 4K initially, and I could just buy the 4K release and it would include the 3D if it existed.  Disney did that with 3D at the beginning with their 3D Bluray releases including the 3D, regular Blu and DVD, and that is what got me to buy the 3D tv since I already had a few 3D discs because they were part of the deluxe Blu release.  Then the companies shot themselves in the foot with exclusive bundles like Avatar only coming with a Panasonic tv or Shrek with a Samsung tv.  Passive 3D on an LG OLED is unbelievable, but the road to get there was brutal and the vendors screwed the customers and now don't have the patience to win them back, after killing their goodwill. 

I do not think 3D is coming with Spider-Man steelbook as it's a Sony release, not Disney. So I wouldn't be too worried. But in the case of all steelbooks, if you are even vaguely curious about wanting to purchase it, just pre-order it and cancel it a few days before if you no longer want it or bring it back after it's shipped. It's not convenient, but neither is complaining about not knowing the GOTG V2 steelbook was the only way to get a 3D copy of the film. Everyone on this forum knew that since the beginning of July, as did many collectors and the like. James Gunn even announced it on his Facebook and Twitter. So if you are as invested as you say in continuing to buy discs that will be completely obsolete sometime in the next 18 months -- then you would have known that well before 2 weeks ago.

Best Buy offered the pre-order on this for much longer than other films in the past (Rogue One and Doctor Strange being specific examples), so they are clearly ordering more copies and listening to customer feedback. And Disney is all but eliminating 3D as a format they actively support (there is still no 3D version of Frozen, their biggest animated hit ever, available in North America, and the 3D Best Buy steelbook for Doctor Strange did not get released in Canada) -- so of course they are going to continue bringing out exclusives to entice people to buy them sooner at ridiculously high prices instead of waiting until they are much cheaper.

So just keep watching the GOTG V2 page on the site (and the French page as well), or subscribe to some of these threads and hope that you see a message from some kind soul informing everyone that there are copies available to order.

Legendary Epic Genius

Yes, you are reinforcing the point that if you are really a 3D fan, you will have to start paying close attention to the releases that you want.

You will not be finding 3D releases on the shelves for the blockbusters because stores are no longer stocking them the way they used to.  Whether you like it or not fewer copies are being made so if you want one you have to act fast and plan ahead.

It's not like you are walking into any store and asking for a Coke.  You want a Vanilla Coke now and you have to know where to go to get that.  Otherwise, just be happy with Coke.

As an aside, Europe and Asia have a lot more variety for 3D releases than North America.  The latest PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN movie will not even have a 3D North American release.  If you want 3D for that, you will have to import.

SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING will be available in 3D in Canada, but not in a SteelBook.  Same goes for WONDER WOMAN.

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

SonicBoom wrote:

SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING will be available in 3D in Canada, but not in a SteelBook.  Same goes for WONDER WOMAN.

Edited my response to clarify I was talking about the steelbook and not the regular release.

The Captain

casey1985 wrote:

@bgillander

I don't recall exactly but It was somwhere after 1 PM and before 2 PM.

Thanks for the info.  I have been checking since release day and one copy was available a few minutes ago at midnight and I managed to buy it, so hopefully it arrives in good shape.

Not the shopping process one should have to go through, but I am very happy to get it!

The Oracle

bgillander wrote:

Thanks for the info.  I have been checking since release day and one copy was available a few minutes ago at midnight and I managed to buy it, so hopefully it arrives in good shape.

Not the shopping process one should have to go through, but I am very happy to get it!

Awesome!  I hope it does arrive in good shape for you!

The Captain
0 Kudos

pikachuforever wrote:
I do not think 3D is coming with Spider-Man steelbook as it's a Sony release, not Disney. So I wouldn't be too worried. But in the case of all steelbooks, if you are even vaguely curious about wanting to purchase it, just pre-order it and cancel it a few days before if you no longer want it or bring it back after it's shipped. It's not convenient, but neither is complaining about not knowing the GOTG V2 steelbook was the only way to get a 3D copy of the film. Everyone on this forum knew that since the beginning of July, as did many collectors and the like. James Gunn even announced it on his Facebook and Twitter. So if you are as invested as you say in continuing to buy discs that will be completely obsolete sometime in the next 18 months -- then you would have known that well before 2 weeks ago.

Best Buy offered the pre-order on this for much longer than other films in the past (Rogue One and Doctor Strange being specific examples), so they are clearly ordering more copies and listening to customer feedback. And Disney is all but eliminating 3D as a format they actively support (there is still no 3D version of Frozen, their biggest animated hit ever, available in North America, and the 3D Best Buy steelbook for Doctor Strange did not get released in Canada) -- so of course they are going to continue bringing out exclusives to entice people to buy them sooner at ridiculously high prices instead of waiting until they are much cheaper.

So just keep watching the GOTG V2 page on the site (and the French page as well), or subscribe to some of these threads and hope that you see a message from some kind soul informing everyone that there are copies available to order.

As I said in my original post, I gave up on Steelbooks a couple of years ago when they quit including 3D.  Life's gotten busy and I've gotten old and I haven't been checking the forums for Steelbooks because of this, and it was the complete reversal where the only way to get the 3D was in the limited Steelbook that threw me off and what I was complaining about.  I also pointed out that having no order quantity limit on a limited edition and turning away customers because of this is bad business, but if you think that having to follow a forum to have advance warning to buy a product is normal, then that is obviously a non-issue for you.  But if you read the comments on the sell page you will see it isn't popular with most customers.  I posted on this thread because they asked what we want to buy, so I thought I would give them an answer.  I've ordered my 3D copies of Frozen, Maleficent, and Big Hero 6 from the UK without complaining to Best Buy because that is a Disney issue.  But not limiting quatities on GOTG V2 was a BB issue.  Not having stock of non-limited 3D Blu's left on release day (like Ghost in the Shell) in my local store  is a BB issue, since people end up spending their cash elsewhere.

I wasn't trying to go on an expletive filled rant, which is why I didn't post on release day.  I was trying to give an honest answer to the question raised by this thread, since I really do think Best Buy could greatly improve their customer satisfaction level by having more stock available for actual customers, and if for some strange reason Disney will really not let them order higher production quantities (which I find very hard to believe) for these exclusives that are truly exclusive and will obviously have high demand (eg. only 3D version of a Star Wars movie or first 4K Disney release AND only 3D version of GOTG V2... versus just being a Steelbook), then they should be controlling the quantities per person to make sure that as many customers as possible get to buy the item.  It really is retail 101.

I managed to order a copy tonight, so I'll try to stop complaining for me, but the point I am trying to make is still valid.  I'm happy I was able to get it, but the effort involved was more than it should be for a transaction where I'm effectively trying to give a business my money.

The Captain
0 Kudos

SonicBoom wrote:

Yes, you are reinforcing the point that if you are really a 3D fan, you will have to start paying close attention to the releases that you want.

You will not be finding 3D releases on the shelves for the blockbusters because stores are no longer stocking them the way they used to.  Whether you like it or not fewer copies are being made so if you want one you have to act fast and plan ahead.

It's not like you are walking into any store and asking for a Coke.  You want a Vanilla Coke now and you have to know where to go to get that.  Otherwise, just be happy with Coke.

As an aside, Europe and Asia have a lot more variety for 3D releases than North America.  The latest PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN movie will not even have a 3D North American release.  If you want 3D for that, you will have to import.

Yes, but my point was that if they are selling out one the day of release because they are no longer stocking them the way they used to, then they are stocking incorrectly.  No sane business person intentionally reduces their stock to less than demand.  When it isn't an exclusive, I just buy from the competition that has stock, because that is how retail works.

And your Vanilla Coke analogy is interesting, because I love Cherry Coke and Coke only seems to want to make it in summer in Canada and only in bottles, but Pepsi came out with Wild Cherry Pepsi in 12 packs, so even though I consider myself a Coke drinker, I now buy the Pepsi because it is easier to find and close enough.  Not unlike where I buy my movies.

The Captain
0 Kudos

pikachuforever wrote:

So if you are as invested as you say in continuing to buy discs that will be completely obsolete sometime in the next 18 months -- then you would have known that well before 2 weeks ago.

I forgot to ask about that comment.  Can you clarify what you mean by the discs becoming obsolete?  The new 4K players still play the 3D discs, so unless they rescind the playback keys, these discs should be fine until my last 3D TV and players die, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss some other big announcement!?!  I'm hoping that you just mean you don't expect any new 3D Blurays to be released after that point.  Thanks.