Reply
Highlighted
Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 715
Registered: ‎01-13-2012

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?


bgillander wrote:

SonicBoom wrote:

Yes, you are reinforcing the point that if you are really a 3D fan, you will have to start paying close attention to the releases that you want.

 

You will not be finding 3D releases on the shelves for the blockbusters because stores are no longer stocking them the way they used to.  Whether you like it or not fewer copies are being made so if you want one you have to act fast and plan ahead.

 

It's not like you are walking into any store and asking for a Coke.  You want a Vanilla Coke now and you have to know where to go to get that.  Otherwise, just be happy with Coke.

 

As an aside, Europe and Asia have a lot more variety for 3D releases than North America.  The latest PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN movie will not even have a 3D North American release.  If you want 3D for that, you will have to import.

 

SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING will be available in 3D in Canada, but not in a SteelBook.  Same goes for WONDER WOMAN.


Yes, but my point was that if they are selling out one the day of release because they are no longer stocking them the way they used to, then they are stocking incorrectly.  No sane business person intentionally reduces their stock to less than demand.  When it isn't an exclusive, I just buy from the competition that has stock, because that is how retail works.

 

And your Vanilla Coke analogy is interesting, because I love Cherry Coke and Coke only seems to want to make it in summer in Canada and only in bottles, but Pepsi came out with Wild Cherry Pepsi in 12 packs, so even though I consider myself a Coke drinker, I now buy the Pepsi because it is easier to find and close enough.  Not unlike where I buy my movies.


 

I do agree with you that I wish BB would carry more stock.  However, this has been an ongoing problem and I'm sure it won't be the last.


I learned my lesson when IRON MAN came out back in 2009 and I was travelling on business and by the next day it was all sold out everywhere.

 

The truth is that you cannot assume that BB will have enough stock.  This leads me to think that either

a) they are given a maximum quantity now from head office in the US

b) the BB Canada buyers don't care to get the detail of every blu-ray release

c) the studios/manufacturers are purposely limiting quantities.

d) the BB Canada buyers are not very good a forecasting demand

 

For (a) I would point to ROGUE ONE and GOTG2 (among others) where there was plenty of stock in the US but Canada was sold out in less than a day

 

For (b) and (d) I would point to the number of SteelBooks on the shelves for CIVIL WAR, NIGHTCRAWLER, TERMINATOR 2, ZOMBIELAND which BB can't seem to get rid of, even on discount.

 

For (c) I would point to studios like Disney who only make a select few releases 3D (e.g. FROZEN, PIRATES 5, GOTG2, ROGUE ONE) or Nintendo who always make low quantities.  I think they do this on purpose to keep demand artificially high.

 

Either way, I have to assume that BB sees the numbers and knows which products sell out and which don't.  Sometimes it may be in their control to do more, and sometimes it is not.

The Oracle
Posts: 482
Registered: ‎06-17-2016

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?


SonicBoom wrote:

 

I do agree with you that I wish BB would carry more stock.  However, this has been an ongoing problem and I'm sure it won't be the last.

 

The truth is that you cannot assume that BB will have enough stock.  This leads me to think that either

a) they are given a maximum quantity now from head office in the US

b) the BB Canada buyers don't care to get the detail of every blu-ray release

c) the studios/manufacturers are purposely limiting quantities.

d) the BB Canada buyers are not very good a forecasting demand

 

 

 

Either way, I have to assume that BB sees the numbers and knows which products sell out and which don't.  Sometimes it may be in their control to do more, and sometimes it is not.


I agree with what you have said and sadly determining the right amount of how much is enough stock to carry is not an exact science. I do not know about your area but were I live when Future Shop there numerous steelbook copies of the movie Man Of Steel 6 month after its original release. In addition to on certain days they would bring a cart of filled with overstock of old steelbook title so I was able to get Captain America: Winter Soldier,  After Earth, Cars 2, Brave and a few other titles.Smiley Happy

 

There is no way for Best Buy Canada of ever getting the exact number of copies of blurays of television series and  movie titles for steelbooks. The part that is also confusing is constantly hearing what format is supposed to be dead for eg 3-D and what one is becoming more popular 4K. The industry seems to be constantly changing and as far we know in the next 5 to10 there may be a format that as is forcasting Jame Cameron that might surpass both.Smiley Happy

 

At this time I am trying to enjoy what we have at this time. Smiley Very Happy 

Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 373
Registered: ‎09-02-2015

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?


bgillander wrote:

pikachuforever wrote:

So if you are as invested as you say in continuing to buy discs that will be completely obsolete sometime in the next 18 months -- then you would have known that well before 2 weeks ago.

I forgot to ask about that comment.  Can you clarify what you mean by the discs becoming obsolete?  The new 4K players still play the 3D discs, so unless they rescind the playback keys, these discs should be fine until my last 3D TV and players die, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss some other big announcement!?!  I'm hoping that you just mean you don't expect any new 3D Blurays to be released after that point.  Thanks.


I mean the technology is dead. There was zero support for 3D at CES earlier this year, and there are no TV manufacturers making any new 3DTVs. IMAX has stated they will no longer support 3D theatrical releases. The only way to get 3D versions on disc for Rogue One or Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 was in limited edition steelbook sets. If that doesn't tell you that the end is either here, or near, then I am not sure what will. Yes, your discs will still work as long as you have the tech to play them, but the support is drying up rather quickly. 

Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 373
Registered: ‎09-02-2015

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?


bgillander wrote:


As I said in my original post, I gave up on Steelbooks a couple of years ago when they quit including 3D.  Life's gotten busy and I've gotten old and I haven't been checking the forums for Steelbooks because of this, and it was the complete reversal where the only way to get the 3D was in the limited Steelbook that threw me off and what I was complaining about.  I also pointed out that having no order quantity limit on a limited edition and turning away customers because of this is bad business, but if you think that having to follow a forum to have advance warning to buy a product is normal, then that is obviously a non-issue for you.  But if you read the comments on the sell page you will see it isn't popular with most customers.  I posted on this thread because they asked what we want to buy, so I thought I would give them an answer.  I've ordered my 3D copies of Frozen, Maleficent, and Big Hero 6 from the UK without complaining to Best Buy because that is a Disney issue.  But not limiting quatities on GOTG V2 was a BB issue.  Not having stock of non-limited 3D Blu's left on release day (like Ghost in the Shell) in my local store  is a BB issue, since people end up spending their cash elsewhere.

 

I wasn't trying to go on an expletive filled rant, which is why I didn't post on release day.  I was trying to give an honest answer to the question raised by this thread, since I really do think Best Buy could greatly improve their customer satisfaction level by having more stock available for actual customers, and if for some strange reason Disney will really not let them order higher production quantities (which I find very hard to believe) for these exclusives that are truly exclusive and will obviously have high demand (eg. only 3D version of a Star Wars movie or first 4K Disney release AND only 3D version of GOTG V2... versus just being a Steelbook), then they should be controlling the quantities per person to make sure that as many customers as possible get to buy the item.  It really is retail 101.

 

I managed to order a copy tonight, so I'll try to stop complaining for me, but the point I am trying to make is still valid.  I'm happy I was able to get it, but the effort involved was more than it should be for a transaction where I'm effectively trying to give a business my money.


The thing you aren't realizing is that Best Buy specifically is not really in the Blu-ray/4K/DVD selling business anymore. If you go into the newly remodeled stores, the New Release section for movies, games and CDs is about as big as my apartment's kitchen (which is not very big at all). So of course the stock is going to be limited or will be relegated specifically to Online -- because that's where the industry,or at least where Best Buy Canada, is moving towards. I know you say it isn't right to go on the forums to learn more or find out about these releases first, but we've been talking endlessly here and on other forums about the death of 3D, and the rise of digital -- and how collecting physical media is quickly becoming a niche hobby that you need to track online with other collectors. So you may think Best Buy is doing wrong by the customer for not stocking enough steelbooks, but the reality is that if they stocked more, they wouldn't be able to sell them all.

Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 715
Registered: ‎01-13-2012
0 Kudos

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?


pikachuforever wrote:


I mean the technology is dead. There was zero support for 3D at CES earlier this year, and there are no TV manufacturers making any new 3DTVs. IMAX has stated they will no longer support 3D theatrical releases. The only way to get 3D versions on disc for Rogue One or Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 was in limited edition steelbook sets. If that doesn't tell you that the end is either here, or near, then I am not sure what will. Yes, your discs will still work as long as you have the tech to play them, but the support is drying up rather quickly. 


 

So not meaning to start a big debate, I think that 3D will return and that 4K will eventually die off.

 

My reasons for this:

o  3D is still coming out in theatres worldwide (including North America) and are driving box office sales with higher ticket prices.  Studios would have to be happy with lower box office numbers if they were to remove 3D theatrical releases.

o  3D is still very popular in the Asian markets and mildly popular in the European markets both theatrically and on Blu-ray.

o  there are a lot of 3D TV owners who are going to need replacements in the next five years, so I think demand may have dried up right now because many people who have bought 3D sets in the last five years are still using them.  This is the case for me.  I have one 3D TV almost five years old and it still works great.  I would love to buy another one if there was one available, but there isn't so I am waiting for now.

o  there is a pretty vocal and steadfast group of 3D fans who are buying the 3D discs.  When I check at not only retail stores, but second hand shops and online auction sites, they all have a hard time keeping stock of 3D titles. 

o  I think 4K is still too expensive and doesn't provide enough improvement for the cost right now.

o  too many people would rather move from Blu-ray to streaming, than Blu-ray to 4K.

o  to appreciate 4K, you need to upgrade a significant amount of hardware (e.g. money) and you also need to have a significant amount of space.

o  4K titles are still expensive and the library is very limited.  I have yet to find a title that I just HAVE to have 4K for.  There is no "killer app".

 

Sorry, didn't mean to rant, just discuss.

Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 373
Registered: ‎09-02-2015
0 Kudos

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?


SonicBoom wrote:

pikachuforever wrote:


I mean the technology is dead. There was zero support for 3D at CES earlier this year, and there are no TV manufacturers making any new 3DTVs. IMAX has stated they will no longer support 3D theatrical releases. The only way to get 3D versions on disc for Rogue One or Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 was in limited edition steelbook sets. If that doesn't tell you that the end is either here, or near, then I am not sure what will. Yes, your discs will still work as long as you have the tech to play them, but the support is drying up rather quickly. 


 

So not meaning to start a big debate, I think that 3D will return and that 4K will eventually die off.

 

My reasons for this:

o  3D is still coming out in theatres worldwide (including North America) and are driving box office sales with higher ticket prices.  Studios would have to be happy with lower box office numbers if they were to remove 3D theatrical releases.

o  3D is still very popular in the Asian markets and mildly popular in the European markets both theatrically and on Blu-ray.

o  there are a lot of 3D TV owners who are going to need replacements in the next five years, so I think demand may have dried up right now because many people who have bought 3D sets in the last five years are still using them.  This is the case for me.  I have one 3D TV almost five years old and it still works great.  I would love to buy another one if there was one available, but there isn't so I am waiting for now.

o  there is a pretty vocal and steadfast group of 3D fans who are buying the 3D discs.  When I check at not only retail stores, but second hand shops and online auction sites, they all have a hard time keeping stock of 3D titles. 

o  I think 4K is still too expensive and doesn't provide enough improvement for the cost right now.

o  too many people would rather move from Blu-ray to streaming, than Blu-ray to 4K.

o  to appreciate 4K, you need to upgrade a significant amount of hardware (e.g. money) and you also need to have a significant amount of space.

o  4K titles are still expensive and the library is very limited.  I have yet to find a title that I just HAVE to have 4K for.  There is no "killer app".

 

Sorry, didn't mean to rant, just discuss.


3D is big theatrically in Asia -- but in North America, it's almost completely died off. If you read box office reports, they often cite on opening weekends much, much lower 3D grosses versus grosses from the immediate post Avatar era. I go to a lot of free promo/critic advance screenings, and they're virtually all in 2D. I know it's different in smaller cities, but in Toronto, the non 3D showings of any given movie are consistently sold out -- and the ones in 3D are not.

 

And with IMAX announcing they won't be showing movies in 3D at all starting this fall, citing decreased sales and siding with filmgoers, I think 3D screenings are going to continue to dry up -- especially when every major film is being shown in IMAX, with the previews encouraging people to see it in IMAX. At least, in North America.

 

As for 4K...DVDs were very expensive when they first came out. Blu-rays were very expensive when they first came out. 3D was very expensive when they first came out. And now 4K is pretty expensive, so it's not a surprise. As it grows, it will continue to come down in price.

 

And I completely disagree about a 3D comeback. After 4K...we're going straight to digital. The physical market is trending down, and consumers are pushing for more digital. We continue to play these games on this forum of "Oh but the collectors..." Unfortunately we are a small but vocal group versus the regular public who could care less, and are downloading all of their movies legally/illegally. We continue to support the studios, but they aren't.

 

I would not be the least bit surprised if in 2019, one of the major studios announces they are done with discs entirely.

Epic Genius
Posts: 266
Registered: ‎05-29-2015

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?

Why is everyone beating a dead horse?

 

This thread was created by @BBYTerence to get some feedback in respect to what the forum members  would like to see stocked. Then forward it to the appropriate department for consideration.

 

http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/Movies-TV-Shows/When-it-comes-to-shopping-for-movies-amp-TV-shows-what-...

 

Leaving aside that movies are shrinking at BB both online and in stores daily, here is this never ending discussion in respect to an already dead format (3D) killed by the industry itself.

Why is this even a subject matter?

 

BB can't carry more of something which there is no new A/V equipment that supports it.

I prefer VHS tapes, because I like the grainy effect (grindhouse) look of tape, doesn't mean that BB should start carrying them, and even if they did, where would I get a new VHS player.

 

 

Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 373
Registered: ‎09-02-2015

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?


Jacques1400 wrote:

 

 

BB can't carry more of something which there is no new A/V equipment that supports it.

I prefer VHS tapes, because I like the grainy effect (grindhouse) look of tape, doesn't mean that BB should start carrying them, and even if they did, where would I get a new VHS player.

 

 


I love that you called it a VHS player. I find myself referring to it like that often, forgetting that it was called a VCR, lol.

Epic Genius
Posts: 266
Registered: ‎05-29-2015

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?

[ Edited ]

I refer to it as a VHS player for ease of understanding. Many a times when I mention "VCR" in a convo I get the "What???".

In this context it was to differenciate between the short lived Betamax and the VHS which both required a VCR. Smiley Wink

 

@bjmaxvin67

 

It was actually "Grindhouse Presents" and was an homage to those lost days of movie going by Rodriguez & Tarantino (Double Bill), it consisted of "Death Proof" & "Planet Terror".

 

BB carried an exclusive DVD Steelbook for them as well. Smiley Wink

 

PlanetTerrorExtendedAndU92312_f.JPG

 

The Oracle
Posts: 482
Registered: ‎06-17-2016
0 Kudos

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?

[ Edited ]

Jacques1400 wrote:

 

 

I prefer VHS tapes, because I like the grainy effect (grindhouse) look of tape, doesn't mean that BB should start carrying them, and even if they did, where would I get a new VHS player.

 

 


Hey @Jacques1400 I do not want to go off topic but also you bring up another term that many people do not seem to be familiar with; the  U.S. film industry term "grindhouse", which refers to (now mostly defunct) movie theaters specializing in B movies, often exploitation films, were shown in a multiple-feature format.  There was also a movie by the same name https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grindhouse_(film) co-written, produced, and directed by Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino. Smiley Very Happy