Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?

Drum18 wrote:

Yup @pikachuforever  
I'm a fan of the King Arthur mytho and also loved Hunman in Sons of Anarchy, but seems like this movie is a huuuuuuuge bomb at the box office.  But, it's a Warner release and they are known to love SteelBook cases so... who knows...

The Dark Tower, I'm not a fan either.  I'm just following the buzz (or kinda) around it.  With Elba and McConaughey as the stars of it, I'm pretty sure Sony will try all their best to push this release...  who knows...

Oh and Hitman's bodyguard is just an happy thinking of mine as the combo of Reynolds and Samuel M...F... L. Jackson seems wayyyyy toooo much fun to pass!  Smiley LOL Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Afusxc2SM

But, in all honesty, I now understand how hard it can be to be a Product buyers as those people need to take those decision even BEFORE the movie hit the theaters.  They don't/can't wait to see how it goes at the box office to make a decision about ordering this or that... it's all about gamble.   :cough: XXX3 :cough:

I'm a fan of Hunnam and Guy Richie, but yeah, I haven't heard anything good. I would imagine a steelbook would be coming, if only so they could recoup some of the money from their $175-million+ investment that's not coming from the theatres!

And Dark Tower's buzz is dwindling. Movie keeps getting pushed back, and the trailer wasn't well received. I want it to do well so Elba can be the leading man he deserves to be, but feel it'll either flop or get pushed back even further.

Community Manager

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to provide feedback and comment. Smiley Happy

Our Charge Up & Play Contest for 2017 is happening now! Enter for a chance to win Best Buy gift cards.

FYI: Thanks for posting on the forum. For those who are not aware, this is a peer-to-peer forum. The majority of posts on here are from members of the peer-to-peer community made up of other customers and forum participants. They provide great peer-to-peer advice and feedback. If you have a customer service matter or an inquiry about an order, please call customer service at 1-866-237-8289 to have your matter addressed.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Epic Genius

@bjmaxvin67

I don't know about the other shows in your list but Maude is available from Best Buy online only.

I found it the other day when I was looking up titles by Shout! Factory.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/maude-the-complete-series-dvd/m2216128.aspx?

The Oracle
0 Kudos

Thank You @casey1985 for the heads up; I am going to preorder that now. Smiley Very Happy 

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Drum18 wrote:

So, as I said before, I may be boring, but for ME, it's all about Blockbusters movies.  Here's the list I did before that I would buy a SteelBook case:

- 05/05 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
 - 05/12 King Arthur: Legend of the sword  (haven't seen yet, and reviews aren't good at all...)
 - 05/19 Alien: Covenant
 - 05/19 Baywatch
 - 05/26 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (5)
 - 06/02 Wonder Woman
 - 06/09 The Mummy
 - 06/16 Pixar Cars 3
 - 06/23 Transformers: The Last Knight (5)
 - 06/30 Despicable Me 3
 - 07/07 Spider-Man: Homecoming
 - 07/14 War for the Planet of the Apes (3)
 - 07/21 Dunkirk
 - 07/21 Valerian and the city of a thousand Planets (not sure at all...)
 - 07/28 Atomic blonde (seems interesting with Charlize)
 - 08/04 The Dark Tower
 - 08/18 The Hitmans Bodyguard
 - 09/22 The Lego Ninjago Movie
 - 10/06 Blade Runner 2049
 - 10/06 Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2)
 - 11/03 Thor: Ragnarok
 - 11/17 Justice League
 - 11/22 Pixars Coco
 - 12/15 Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

I think that's a great list.  I'll be buying most of these as well.

However, I do like the niche movies too -- and catalog titles.

But I agree NO to Pop Art.  All of the big blockbuster movies are pretty much a given that they will sell out if released in SteelBook.

Legendary Epic Genius

Jacques1400 wrote:

Even though that would be awesome, let's be somewhat realistic.

BB is in a retail environment, not "Boutique Labels".

They need a variety which will results in increased sales, and even though collectors are part of that, it's a very small contribution. Digibooks, Lenticular Covers & Steelbooks are great ideas as exclusives, better than swag, toys or colouring books which is pretty much a hard sell.

Even exclusive slipcovers (O Ring) work great, look at the FS exclusive "Drive" Scorpion slipcover that was released, people are asking a fortune for a used copy if you can even locate one.

I'm simply trying to say that the choices need to appeal to the masses, not a select group.

Yes, I understand that BB is not geared towards boutique labels.

However, if you look at the trends, I see fewer people buying standard Amaray movies.

But there seems to be no shortage of people willing to pay upwards of $75.00 CDN (+ shipping) for a numbered SteelBook which is just a SteelBook with a picture on a piece of plastic with a stamped number.  In fact, these products often sell out within seconds online.

BB has already done most of the work when creating the SteelBook.

This is what people are spending money on -- lots of money.  I don't think you will see much profit selling $7.99 blu-rays, but if you could sell a $20.00 Blu-ray with a $2.00 SteelBook and a $1.00 piece of plastic for $75.00, that is a good business to be in.

Granted, BB is a nationwide retailer.  They can start with something small, something that wouldn't normally sell large quantities.

Perhaps they could re-release old Adam Sandler movies (BILLY MADISON, HAPPY GILMORE, etc.) in a SteelBook series.    That has never been released on SteelBook before and I'm sure the studios would love to sell more of those discs.

I don't think THE USUAL SUSPECTS has been ever released on SteelBook.  They always seem to re-release that on Amaray.

Maybe a Best Picture series of SteelBooks?  These are all old catalog titles that would have new life breathed into them if they were to be released as part of an exclusive.

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

casey1985 wrote:

@bjmaxvin67

I don't know about the other shows in your list but Maude is available from Best Buy online only.

I found it the other day when I was looking up titles by Shout! Factory.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/maude-the-complete-series-dvd/m2216128.aspx?

Adding this to the collection, immediately.

The Oracle
0 Kudos

Hey @BBYTerence,

I do not know if this is something Best Buy Canada and/or USA have a say in this but I have noticed when a television series like The 100 or Marvel Agents of SHIELD (I know I mentioned this one before).  In series "The 100" case the first or second seasons were released on bluray and DVD; then the rest of the season are released on DVD to the public brick and mortar stores and the Blurays are exclusive to online competitors like the one named after a river.  In the case of Agents of SHIELD the first season was released to the public and the 2nd and 3rd were exclusive the same online competitor. Can Best Buy Canada and USA work out a deal were they are allowed to offer these items through their online sites. I know that there probably other TV series with the problems and this would and major purchasing preferences for me because I would rather purchase an item from Best Buy.   

The Oracle
0 Kudos

Hey @BBYTerence,

I apologize for constantly adding things but I suffer from that disease "CRS" Can't Remember Stuff. Smiley LOL But I was thinking about something that was mentioned by @Jacques1400 about the possibility of BB scheduling a go live date and time for exclusives and limiting quantities items.

"As he stated hoarders and group buys deplete stock because they order in large quantities, limiting purchases to 3 or 5 per household does not work, they simply place 3 separate orders of qty 5 and nobody knows any better. Legacy FS forum members will recall that many exclusives were posted in the forum with a “Go Live” date/time combined with a maximum limit of copies per order, a practice many other retailers/boutique labels follow today in order to minimize hoarding. Combining a “Go Live” date/time with a copy limit of qty 1 per order would certainly open up more opportunities for loyal BB customers to obtain a copy."

In addition to using an idea by @Drum18  concerning damages were he stated "that back in the Future Shop days, we had a great deal of history with those slashed spine. We explained ourselves AND finally someone listened to make something that worked! So basically, when they were packed and shipped to stores from the distributor, they had this sticker on it and 99% of the problems were solved!" .

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

I just need to add

Makes me laugh... Group Buys... the last "massive" GB I had was in 2015... so if peolpe miss out the pre-order phase, it's not because of those...