Community Manager
0 Kudos

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?

Thanks for the kind words @bjmaxvin67. I'm happy to help out, and I hope for an optimal shopping experience for everyone!

FYI: Thanks for posting on the forum. For those who are not aware, this is a peer-to-peer forum. With the exception of announcements that I'm instructed to post, the majority of posts on here are from members of the peer-to-peer community made up of other customers and forum participants. They provide great peer-to-peer advice and feedback. If you have a customer service matter or an inquiry about an order, please call customer service at 1-866-237-8289 to have your matter addressed.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

The Captain

I'd like to see you get stock in stores for what you already offer, or please just stop doing exclusives.  

I gave up on Steelbooks in the last year because I wanted the 3D editions and they seemed to never be included anymore.  

Then Rogue One came out and the Steelbook was the only way to get the 3D edition, but it sold out before I could get to the store after work the day of release (or maybe they never got stock.)

Now Disney and Best Buy drag down Marvel, too, and I discover the week before release that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 only gets 3D the same way.  It gets 4K also, which would have been a bonus if they hadn't already been sold out online by the time I found out.  Stores never even got stock, and I see from the reviews on your item page that scalpers were buying in bulk, so I guess you didn't limit quantities.  So this is the first Marvel Blu I haven't bought and the exclusive actually lost you a sale since I usually buy at BB.  I was so annoyed that I also didn't bother buying Daredevil Season 2 and a couple of other discs, so I guess that was about $140ish in lost sales.  I got over it after Rogue One and eventually started buying from you again, but I would say the handling or these exclusives is really bad marketing if your regular customers get fed up (check the comments on your own site), unless you just want to be a supplier to scalpers.

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

@bgillander

http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/Movies-TV-Shows/blu-ray-3d-releases/m-p/178837#M5012

Sorry my friend, looks like 3D is pretty much extinct in North America.

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

I'm a 3D fan and if you want to get 3D releases, you will have to get up pretty early in the morning because in-store sales are becoming a thing of the past.

Don't just assume scalpers are getting all of the copies.  Collectors are getting them too and with GOTG2, there was plenty of notice to get your order in.

I would totally disagree with your statement of limiting exclusives.  Best Buy should increase their exclusives to survive because this can still be a profitable market if they expand that way.

There are online stores who cater to exclusives and produce 2 or 3 SteelBooks for a single title.

Then they package a SteelBook with pretty things like artcards (postcards), buttons, or a slipbox (one of three) and they charge a premium for it.  These are often sold out within the first hour even at $75.00 US price tags.

Not to mention the incredible "one click".  A one click is a superset package of all three exclusive editions (three copies of the same movie with different packaging) for some exhorbitant price which is cheaper than the three separately, but just barely.

Oh, and you have to include a numbered card in there too,.  These $200 packages sell out first.

Now someone at BB needs to send this proposal to the Marketing dept. to see if the ROI is there.  I would think it is.

The Captain
0 Kudos

I'm actually saying they should either make enough to satisfy demand, or quit exclusives altogether.  Two obviously popular Disney releases where they are the only 3D game in town (or in two countries!!) and they massively underproduced on both.  And didn't even try to stock in stores in Canada.  

And to respond to the other post saying 3D is dead in North America, yes, I realize they've stopped making the TVs, and that is why I bought a another new 3D tv way before I intended.  But check prices for this release on **competitor** if you think there is no demand anymore.

These aren't tickets for a concert where you can only seat so many, just make more discs for crying out loud.  Or if you can't, stop putting the 3D discs in the Steebooks and if they are that bloody unpopular then those of us that actually want them should be able to buy them.

The Captain
0 Kudos

SonicBoom wrote:

Don't just assume scalpers are getting all of the copies.  Collectors are getting them too and with GOTG2, there was plenty of notice to get your order in.

I wasn't assuming that scalpers got all the copies, but at the time of my post, there were 8 reviews on the BB webpage for that product, 7 of them for 1 star and complaining that they couldn't get a copy and 1 for 5 stars telling the others that they should have ordered in June because he bought 15 copies at that time.  Now if you do the math on that, it means those 7 people would have been able to buy that disc, even if Best Buy had limited the copies per person to 2.  If they limited the number of copies to 1 per person, another 7 people could have had their copies.  Scalpers aren't to blame, since it isn't like they care if anyone else gets a copy.  It is Best Buy that should care if they have 8 satisfied customers or 1.  If you look now, 85 people have reviewed it and the rating is averaging 1.9 stars.  This is with anyone who actually got the disc giving it 5 stars, and most of the people giving 1 star because they couldn't get the disc. This happened before with Rogue One.  At some point Best Buy is going to have to realize that satisfying one scalper with 15 copies, but angering 14 other customers with no copies is just bad business.  I didn't go to my local store today to check out the new releases because I'm still irked by this and the way they get progressively worse with these releases instead of learning.  I used to pick up a two or three discs every Tuesday.  I'll probably end up going back there eventually, since I did after the Rogue One fiasco, but if they were to check my Reward Zone, they would notice I'm not buying as many from their store as I used to.  They would then probably blame it on my not buying physical media anymore, but I still do, I just go to another online retailer who doesn't let me downas often on their exclusives.

But I still prefer the retail stores and wish they would actually get their act together and not end up imploding, so that is why I offered my suggestion in my original post.  Because they asked.

The Captain
0 Kudos

I find it strange that BB replaced the name of the online auction site with "competitor". Their own discs are being resold there for twice the retail price, so it is hardly competition (especially since BB has no stock.)
Epic Genius

[ Edited ]

I don't know if it will happen again but Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 steelbooks arrived back in stock online yesterday and were quickly gone again.  You can always keep checking.

And I would guess they were grabbed by re-sellers.  As always it showed "Limited Quantities"

I don't know what time they arrived back in stock but I kept refreshing to see how long until they would be gone and I never did see an indicator like "15 remaining" or "7 remaining"  It went from limited quantities to sold out online.

Both English and French

I would suggest for people to keep checking for The Lion King as well if they want a copy or are looking for a replacemnt for a spine slash.

Batman and Harley Quinn is currently back in stock.  9 left.

The Captain
0 Kudos

Well F me.  What time did you see them in stock?  I've been checking every day in the hope that they might get a few released from cancelled orders and never got a hit.  Unfortunately I can't sit around refreshing a page during the work day since my employer would be about as impressed with me as I am with this whole process.  Funny that I can find a rip of the 3D bluray online within a minute with a simple Google search, but if I actually want to buy the 3D Bluray I now have to bid online and pay scalper prices or import from the UK.  I really don't get how Disney can not realize the stupidity of this.

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

So I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that this is Disney's fault.

Best Buy is just the middle man here.  They do not control the quantities that they are allowed to sell, especially in this case where it has been sold out everywhere.

It's funny how when a hot item like a 3D exclusive, SteelBook or SNES Classic is sold out, everyone immediately jumps on the very retailer that made them available.

There are at least three other major retailers in Canada who did not stock any copies of GOTG2 in 3D.  Yet they are spared the wrath of the masses.

My point about 3D availability is that you know that the 3D market is in decline right now.  As a result, availability of 3D discs is in decline which means you'd better get it any which way you can and don't just assume that there will be extra copies sitting on the shelves a few days after release.

Also, regarding your comment about one person who buys 15 copies vs. 7 people who buy 2 copies, what you are talking about is really forecasting sales which is very hard to do.  I do this for a living and for every GOTG2, there are four or five BOSS BABYs that just sit on the shelf.  

Go into any store and ask how many copies of NIGHTCRAWLER or CIVIL WAR they have on the shelves.  That is lost revenue for Best Buy, so it is in the company's best interests to sell every copy they have.  If they have zero complaints after it all, that is just a bonus, but you are not really losing money because they sold out.  It is sold out everywhere, and as you yourself said, there is no other game in town when it comes to 3D or SteelBooks so of course those customers will be back despite what they say in the comments.

There's nothing to say that even though one person bought 15 copies, he won't be returning 14 of them tomorrow.  Nor can you predict that the seven people who buy two copies might turn around and return them all after they realize that it wasn't so easy to flip them for a profit.