Highlighted
Scout
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Geek Squad membership dupe

Hi,

I’m writing to formally complain about misleading information provided by Best Buy regarding my Geek Squad membership. I signed up for a Geek Squad membership last summer and was told that I would have access to all services and discounts on those services provided I maintained my membership for a minimum of six months. It’s January now, and when I called to cancel my membership, I was informed that I would have to pay out a fee of $135.67 because I had used Geek Squad on 2 occasions to set up home entertainment equipment, some of which was purchased at Best Buy. I was surprised by this because I was informed at the Best Buy in Sault Ste. Marie that the service discounts were part of my membership. At no time did anyone share with me that I would have to pay out the difference on full price for services if I ended my membership after the minimum six months. Your phone service operator told me that I “should have read the contract”. I don’t think it’s fair because I was verbally led to believe that there were no penalties attached.

This is no way to run a business where customer loyalty can pay major dividends over a short period of time. Had I known that I would have to pay an extra $135.67 to end my membership, which I dutifully paid for on a monthly basis, I would have neither requested the home support, nor would I have signed up for the membership in the first place.

I would like my $135.67 refunded back to my credit card. Not doing so will cost Best Buy my loyalty, and I will share my story with friends, family and acquaintances relentlessly on social media until I am satisfied that everyone is aware the Geek Squad deal is not such a great deal. It’s a shame because the guys that came to my home were professional and I like the products and services at Best Buy.

I do, however, resent being duped on a membership “deal”.

Please feel free to contact me at the email address I provided to sign up to join the forum. Also, please don’t suggest I call your customer help line. They’re going to tell me to read the fine print of your agreement again. It doesn’t make this charge acceptable or ethical. If you offered people an email option to file a complaint I wouldn’t have to share this problem publicly in a forum.

Sincerely,

Tim Pearson
Ottawa, Ontario
Legendary Hero of the Universe
0 Kudos

Re: Geek Squad membership dupe

Unfortunately it is up to the customer to insure they read the whole contract. The sales associates tend to just give a quick run down of the contract but in the end it is really up to you to read all the terms.

Also this is a peer to peer forum the only option you have is to contact customer service, you can however ask to have your issue escalated.

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Scout
0 Kudos

Hi Drax and community. I visited the local Best Buy in Merivale to clarify the issue with the 6-month contract and the difference in fees charge, and management agreed that the explanation I received on registration was unsatisfactory, and that this misunderstanding has come up on several occasions previously, which is why Best Buy no longer offers 6-month Geek Squad memberships. In a remarkable show of good will, Nest Buy on Merivale in Ottawa refunded the charges. I am appreciative and impressed. Many thanks to Kareem and Houda who were available to listen to my comcerns in a friendly and professional way. Greatly appreciated! I’m also glad because I like the products and services offered by Best Buy and I will be able to continue to confidently shop there. I wish phone “support” could have been as helpful, but the people in the bricks and mortar store made up for it. Many thanks!
Legendary Hero of the Universe
0 Kudos

Thats great to hear. Glad it all worked out in the end

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg