Community Manager
0 Kudos

Google Home

[ Edited ]

Google Home

Learn More About Google Home >

Preparing for high-demand product launches >

FYI: Thanks for posting on the forum. For those who are not aware, this is a peer-to-peer forum. The majority of posts on here are from members of the peer-to-peer community made up of other customers and forum participants. They provide great peer-to-peer advice and feedback. If you have a customer service matter, complaint, or an inquiry about an order, please call customer service at 1-866-237-8289 to have your matter addressed.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Community Manager

Re: Google Home

[ Edited ]

Google home is now available!

Read Ted Kritsonis's Google Home review on the Best Buy Canada blog.

FYI: Thanks for posting on the forum. For those who are not aware, this is a peer-to-peer forum. The majority of posts on here are from members of the peer-to-peer community made up of other customers and forum participants. They provide great peer-to-peer advice and feedback. If you have a customer service matter, complaint, or an inquiry about an order, please call customer service at 1-866-237-8289 to have your matter addressed.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Legendary Luminary

Re: Google Home

[ Edited ]

Just a few comments about Google Home (after having it for a about a month):

• Access control is somewhat lacking; for example, if I setup to recognize two voices with two Google accounts, I cannot restrict - for example - that I can control lights but deny the other account for accessing those commands.
  • You cannot open garage doors or unlock August door locks using voice (you can lock doors or close garage doors, but not open.) This is contractual restriction:  Google's developer terms and conditions specifically prohibit this.
  • If you ask Google Home direction to a location, it can send you the route information to your phone so that you can bring it up on Google Maps without having to search the location again on the phone.
  • Certain companies may require extra fees to enable Google Home integration.  For example, Chamberlain requires $13 a year for Google Home integation with MyQ door opener.
  • You can say "Hey Google, play 680 news" and it will play 680News radio stream - very handy to listen to the news in the morning.
  • You can call a person listed in your Contacts ("Hey Google, call John Doe") and GH call the other party and act as speaker phone
  • You can use GH to locate your phone if you can't find it ("Hey Google, find my phone")
  • You can ask GH the exchange rate (so far I use it for US/CAD exchange rate but other currencies should work too)
  • If you have a wifi thermostat you can change the temperature by voice ("Hey Google, make it warmer")
  • Basic math questions are not a problem with GH; my grade-2 daughter is now asking GH to verify their homework answers :-p

BTW I was at the Google Home Mini donut shop at Yonge-Dundas Square a couple of weeks ago.  The lineup was over 3h (yes, three hours) and tons of people were in line.  You got a chance to win a free Home Mini; non-winners received a couple of donuts and a 25% off coupon for a Google Home or Home Mini at Best Buy.  (I didn't win.)