Highlighted
Luminary
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

warning Ring Video Doorbell Fees

I always believe that any products that you buy should stand alone unless stated on the box that this product requires a subscription fee to operate and Ring requires a subscription if you wish to have any recording; no subscription, no recording. 

After your one month free subscription they say that if you wish to view your past recordings you can subscribe to unlock your past recordings, but I have found out, twice now, that any recording before a subscription is lost.

Even Netgear Arlo, the security camera system, gives you a free subscription that only retains your security video for 7 days; If you want a longer rentention, you can subscribe. 

After surviving for months without video recording, I finally decided to subscribe for a full year but to my surprise, the fee is in US dollar; I went back to look and to my chargin it does say USD but since I'm in Canada, I would expect a Canadian fee.

At the minimum, your Ring should include a free "one day recording retention" thus making the product usable rather than useless if you don't subscribe. I have suggested this to Ring but of course like all customer suggestions, this falls on deaf ears.

Combined with an almost useless Ring Video (no recording for security sake) and the fact that I have to pay a subscription fee  for a product that I've already purchase, I am issuing a warning to anyone that is listening. 

Legendary Hero of the Universe

Re: warning Ring Video Doorbell Fees

I have looked at the Ring many times, I believe that you are looking for it as a Security device, which it is not. It is designed for live feed so you can see who is at the door when that person arrives, not to review later.  That is why there is a subsription as that is an additional option feature if you wish to record.

If you are wanting a security recording system then you would want to be looking at something like the Arlo system as it is a security camera.

You have to remember that the Ring is ment to be a doorbell first with optional recording

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Legendary Oracle

I agree with @Drax86, I would also like to point out that Arlo does specidy that their rate is in US funds only.

You will find this is common with most all cloud service oriented surveillance systems, as proper research will show.

This is why proper consultation with knowladgeable sales people will help in finding the proper system for your needs.

You may want to consider DVR based systems, or units that utilize internal storage with Micro-SD card.

There are other options to consider, such as integration of surveillance systems with applications such as IFTTT.

Luminary
0 Kudos

@Drax86 @Elico47

I don't know why you guys and non-owner of this product, are siding and justifying companies that produces products that tries to nickel and dime you to death with optional service fees.

This is akin to buying a Microsoft tablet that is filled with software products that expires after one month, rendering the tablet useless afterwards; you don't get this type of software expiration from an Apple Tablet.

This product is a doorbell and security camera for your front door. It is a doorbell and it also detects motion and records all activity on your front door and presents you an event on your iphone for you to view. Except if you don't have a subscription, motion detection is useless because whatever triggered the motion event is now a recorded event only and without a subscription, you don't have access to this feature. Even if you answer the motion detection immediately, whatever triggered the motion is locked in the recording. 

Now if they have a single view recording at which you can view only 1 recording and not previous recording, I am ok with that. 

You don't have to subscribe to Arlos recordings as they do offer a 7 day retention free service; thus Arlos becomes a complete and stand alone product. 

Regardless of the angle of the sales pitch that you wish to view the product (a doorbell and not a security device), the problem is Ring isn't a complete standalone product when a part of the product expires a month after purchase. If you buy a product and something expires, that is defintely not a complete product. 

At minimum they should offer a single recording viewing without subscription to make the product usable. 

As to the subscription in US fees, I always think of that as a ploy from companies to make more money from the consumers. I understand that this is probably a company from the US but I have seen companies that originate from Canada and uses the US currency as barter just to make that extra money in conversion.

Even Apple Apps are in Canada currency; no surprises that a app is not at the price that you paid for. 

Repeating myself here as you can see how vexed I am: The thing is, as a consumer, I'm vexed that I am forced to subscribe to a service before it would work as I had bought it. Nowhere on the box does it say subscription fees required.  If they had a single event recording viewing or even a single day recording viewing, I would probably have no problems in subscribing to their half year recording retention subscription. It is the principle of "forcing you" versus choice.

In addition, I was surprised that it was in US currency because I had never subscribe to a cloud services. To those that thinks this is natural it is becuase you seen the industry but it is really not natural to those that hadn't use such services.  I do expect to pay in Canadian dollars since I am a Canadian; wouldn't you be surprised if whatever you paid for was converted to euros or rupees? thus increasing the cost of service.

My best analogy to this is like buying a car in Canada to find that your radio is a subscription service. Thus without subscription, you get no radio. When you do subscribe, the fees are in Rupeess. So what @Drax86 and @Elico47 are trying to tell us is that you bought the car as a vehicle and not for the radio so the radio is an option. My belief is that these two doods are salesmens who are trying to sell us a used car.

In the old days the customer is always right. It is unfortunate that we, the customers, are wrong even on a peer to peer forum because we just are; the used car salesmens are always present.

[ Edited ]

You shouldnt assume that we are non-owners of the product

As for your car Radio analogy, you could also look at it from another point too, you can get free satellite radio for a short time and once it expires you lose that feature but you can still use it as an FM radio so it is no less of a radio as was before, but in your opinion would that no longer make the radio a complete stand alone product because something has expired?

Just as the Ring is no less of a door bell just because it doesn't record. Recording never was the initial intention of the Ring, it was just to be a door bell, the motion feature is there to alert you to if you receive a delivery at your door.

As for the pricing, Ring is not as big of a company as say someone like Apple, there is a lot of various work and fees involved to allow various currencies to be used, just as you feel you are getting nickle and dimed to add the recording, companies get nickle and dimed to allow purchases in other currencies.

I know not everyone wants to look up products before buying and its nice if everything is on the box, but on the website it clearly shows that no recording is available without a plan, so its not as if it was a secret that was hidden from you.

Its unfortunate that you feel this way but everyone looks at products differently and in my opinion you were just looking at the wrong product for job you wished to accomplish.

Also no one is right or wrong, just as you are wish to inform people of the issues you encountered with the product, we wish to give our opinions on the product, and allow the next person reading this to come to their own informed decision on the product and decide if they wish to purchase it or not.

Luminary
0 Kudos

I don't assume. I know that you are non-owners of the product because if you are owners you will know exactly what I'm talking about. Instead both of you are talking generally around the product without the annoying day to day  usage of the product. In addition, instead of talking about the problem, both of you also compare other products (probably products that you do own) to Ring to aknowledge that Ring isn't a security device. Leading the arguement out of the main problem. Finally the tonality of your post tells me everything :-P  You are probably at the age of "I'm right about everything" age group.

It is like I start my story with "eating toast with margarine" and I'm interrupted with "Oh, margarine isn't healthy for you, you should eat butter" and the whole conversation is then about the health of margarine and butter instead of the story about the "eating toast" story.

Lets start off with your Radio arguement which you completely ignore the whole car thing that was the main storyline and went straight to satelite radio (btw I knew you would come back with satelite radio). 

If I had bought a satellite radio, I would assume nothing; really! We both know that statelite radio is a subscription based radio and nothing else. There would be nothing missing whether  "I do" or "I don't" subscribe because it is a satelite radio. I bought it to pick up satellite radios that requires a subscription.

If I had bought a new car with a built in satellite radio, I might expect at least one free channel or at least free FM as a bonus. If there were no stations and I had to subscribe to "THE CAR manufactuers" subscription then!!!!! I might complain because I know the reason they installed a satelite radio is to make subscription money off the radio. If I had to subscribe to a satellite station that is NOT of the car manufactuers station, then the satelite radio would be a gift because I would have a choice.

Is this making any sense to you? I always look at the side of how the companies are trying to make money off of you. 

The Ring isn't cheap. If they sold it to me for $50 and it requires a subscription to work, I can then choose whether or not I buy into that kind of product before buying. Just like your Shaw Cable box, you know it is a monthly fee box before you buy. 

In regards to your pricing part of your post, as a cosumer I really don't like to be dragged into the company's point of view. I don't care if they are losing money or whether or not their daughter needs to go to college.  It is the cost of doing business to ensure that you speak and do busines in the countrys' dialet and currency. I would never ever buy a product that requires a subscription from overseas like China. Either you establish a service in the country that you are retailing in or lose the business.  Or even post up that it will cost you $40 Canadian and that will be that. 

However it is "ALMOST" acceptable to be offered services between Canada and US,

but the fact of not having the service for almost half a year (so I never knew what caused the motion detector to go off) and to be teased that to get that service for only  $30  and when I finally relent and subscribe, I am shocked to see a $42 charge; you feel that the company has just suckered you. BTW I got my refund at a different date of $39 and I didn't even get a month of recording for my loss of $3. If I can find another company that offers something similar, I will change over in a heartbeat.

@Drax86, listen, although I might check out the specs of various items that I buy and perhaps proound the benefits of one company over the other, at the end of the day, whether Ring has or has not advertised a feature is of no importance to me. I bought the idiotic device almost a year ago and I have been using it as a Doorbell and nothing else and I don't need the recordings. 

The fee of $4.20 cdn per month or $42 per year isn't a big deal but the principle of not offering a free service along with the option of upgrading to a subscription is the problem. To make the motion detection work, you need to be able to view the current recording to see what activated the motion detector. Just ONE FREE/non-subscription viewing of recording is all I ask. Don't even need to retain the recording for more than a few minutes after the event.

Nothing wrong with opinions. However when an opinion is based on speculations and common sense, it is just "that"; an empty opinion that shows that you don't own the product and yet trying to reason out that I'm wrong; just as you did with my first post on here (they don't have a cancel button for orders even seconds after you put your order in at 2AM in the morning). 

The inability to show "What is triggering my motion detection" without a recording subscription makes the product incomplete!

Ring forces you into either get the subscription or you end up with nothing but a doorbell and it is just as you said, that is what they advertise and that is what you get.  I own this product.. Does anyone want to buy a used Doorbell? no sorry I need my doorbell...

Thank you for reading. 

[ Edited ]

As a matter of fact I do have a ring doorbell, I also have a Netgear Arlo system

Luminary
0 Kudos

looked at.jpg

Legendary Oracle

From what I can tell of your posts @ralphael, you are upset about features that you feel should be free of charge, which these companies charge for.

As you know, business is all about making a profit to pay bills etc.., (somehow I don't think you need to be reminded of this)

It never was, "the customer is always right", rather the customer has every right to be wrong. It's the business proprietor's responsibility to right that wrong, by providing an explanation as to why charges apply for services rendered, as opposed to client's expectations, or what may be construed as "customer service" by the customer and the business owner.

In business law, it's more like, the onus is on the proprietor to prove that they have done everything in their power to assist their client.   In this case, Best Buy and Ring, have provided clients with proper information noting that " You’ll also get activity alerts, and can access past footage with the optional cloud recording subscription.*

*additional fees apply. (As shown at bottom of page)

Although I am a proud Best Buy employee,I am also a consumer like you, and like you I feel that it would be great if cloud services were free, but as my favourite wise comedian coined, I know that " reality is not a concept".

As you stated " I always look at the side of how the companies are trying to make money off of you. ", this is yet another way for companies to increase their revenue, after all keep in mind that, avarice is what drives any business, including City Hall and Capital Hill.

As the song goes, "Money makes the world go 'round".

Ring provided you with a doorbell and they succeeded in doing that, however they also included other "optional features" such as subscription cloud services, which you are complaining about, also included is free replacement if stolen, I don't know too many companies that will provide this feature, however it's a great way for them to maintain the client's cloud subscription. Is this to be considered a conspiracy?

BTW, I don't have to own the product to understand what you are referring to, or possibly I am of the age group that feels that " I am right about everything" , but I know I have to right to be wrong about everything..,but that's just my opinion.

With all this in mind, I personally have doubt that you are a business owner, to be able to appreciate the issue at hand.

Legendary Epic Genius

I don't see what the issue is here.

You buy a cell phone, you have to pay for service.

You buy a router, you have to pay for internet.

You buy a navigation system, you have to pay for service.

You buy this ring thing-a-ma-bobby, and you have to pay for service.

You sound like you are just upset that you don't get it for free, but I would do better research first next time.  Lesson learned.