Highlighted
Luminary

Attempting to graduate from Audiophile school

Until recently I have never been a true audiophile and even now, the choices that I made for my Bose 601 and 301 were made by @Elico47. I would have continued my query within @Elico47 original post but he hasn't responded for quite a while now.

For over 20 years I have been happy with the Bose Acoustimass which also included the 161 bookshelf speakers and the vhs-10 center speaker. After changing over to the Bose 601 and 301, the biggest difference I notice is the mid frequencies giving the sound a fuller warmer tone especially when watching movies from netflix.

The problem of course is the large back speakers of which I've tried putting them on an ikea night stand as well as attempting to place them on an ikea  plant stand; I decided on the night stands as the low profile fitted better with my environment.

After all these changes, I finally sat down to put all my leftovers speakers on Craigs and I thought I should try replacing my 301 with my Bose 161 book speakers one last time, to see if I could tell the difference.

The problem is that most netflix shows, the surround speakers are just fillers. Background noises, mis-direction of sound, so whether the back speakers are great or just good, the surround sound speakers are just that.... surround sound. I could barely tell. I could tell, however the almost seemingly missing mid-frequency sound. The 601 seems a tad bookish, like it was missing the mid-range speaker (which it is).

Once I swapped in the 301, the sound is a bit more fuller. In fact the only movie that I made me go "Wow" was BFG and the surround sound speaker made the whole movie come alive as the giant walked around me to the back speaker. I could hear the mid-range difference. A more fuller sound.

Now the whole problem is that I feel like the amateur wine taster at the wine club who is given three glasses of wine. The el-cheapo, the mid-cheapo and the Inglenook Cabernet Sauvignon 1941  (I looked it up and this wine is selling for $24,675) and of course I name the el-cheapo as the best wine, or even to find that all 3 wines were el-cheapo.

My point is that what I think I'm hearing is just another trick of speakers. I always knew that my bose speakers were squeaky but that is because they are satellites speakers and has no mid or bass range which is filled in by the big black box sitting on the floor. Now I'm hearing a full speaker that has all three, the tweeters, the midrange and the bass and the sound, in one sense, sounds flat because all the sounds are now in one speaker. When I say flat, I mean like kinda equal - tweeter, mid-range and bass. Nothing sounds outstanding.

With the Bose acoustimass, the sound was 3d'ish... Tweeters from the satellites, mid range and bass from the black box, add in a subwoofer, all of a sudden it is 3d'ish.

With the Bose 601 and 301, the 3d'ish is gone instead what I think I get, is a fuller sound all around me. Mellow. Soft. 

Is this what we are listening to when we pick a speakers? I cannot tell. 

Am I being an amateur speaker connoisseur? wait, actually I am.

@Elico47 tell me what I am listening to?  

Legendary Epic Genius

Re: Attempting to graduate from Audiophile school

I didn't even know what acoustimass or 301s or 601s were until I Googled them because I don't like Bose.

Well, their noise-cancelling headphones are great for the price, but otherwise, I avoid them.

You will definitely hear a more fuller sound from larger speakers with tweeter, mid-range and bass.

When I was testing speakers, I used music to test them.  I bought my two mains first and I used classical music, big band music, and some U2.  I could really hear the biggest difference when listening to big band and classical.  I would play recordings I had listened to hundreds of times, but certain speakers would let me hear instruments which I had never heard or barely heard before.

Movies are great to watch and listen to, but you will not hear the difference if you are just listening to explosions.

I set a budget and listened a range of speakers in that budget.  Then I stopped moving up once I could no longer hear a difference.

Legendary Oracle

I'm certainly glad to know that you noted the various differences between your previous Bose system, and the one you have now @ralphael. What you have witnessed is primarily due to air space in the speaker cabinets, and different drivers with passive crossovers, as opposed to an active system, that uses propriatory amplification and signal processing, to operate a pair of 5" speakers for bass using a transmission-line cabinetry, and coupled with multiple 2.5 " drivers for the rest of the band spectrum.

Remember that sound is nothing more than air in motion, and the speaker can't push more air than is in the cabinet.

As for the plant stands that you used for the 301's, looks like they work, and as long as the interior decorator approves, score!Smiley Happy

When it comes to surround sound, keep in mind that you're not "supposed" to hear the rear "effect" speakers, so much as feel their effect. this is why a set-up microphone is supplied with most all new surround sound receivers, unfortunately, as I mentioned in a previous post, the microphone can't be used with Bose speakers, to attain proper results, as invariably, an "error" message will appear. So, that means you have to do it, manually.

I would also suggest trying to raise the 601's off the floor by an inch or two,to de-couple them and probably improve their bass result, same idea with the sub woofer, try the other corner for it?.

I am sure you noted a difference with those plant stands, which still allow you to place the 301's in different configurations, flat or standing on end, each will make a difference depending on the surface next to it, glass reflects better, and if you have drapes , you can control the reflection of high frquencies, and have one up and one flat.

I know that with time you'll rediscover your music movies and games with the change in speakers. I hope that one day you'll try a different brand of speakers to understand why Bose, disagrees with many people.

@SonicBoom has the right idea for testing speakers, Big Band is certainly a favourite choice of mine as well, specifically a Telarc recording of, the Boston Pop's rendition of Louis Prima's Sing, sing, sing , and Classical orchestral music, like Charles Dutoit Conducting Montreal Symphony, playing Rimsky/Korsakov's Scheherazade, female vocal like Joni Mitchel, she tends to sound too nasal on poor speakers with mid range problems, or Diana Krall.

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Luminary
0 Kudos

As for the plant stands that you used for the 301's, looks like they work, and as long as the interior decorator approves, score!Smiley Happy 

I decided upon the night stands with laptop angling instead to keep a low profile Smiley Sad see what happens when there is no timely decisions to my posts. The plant stands disagreed with my own interior-interior decorator; too high for my low profile living room :-P 

would also suggest trying to raise the 601's off the floor by an inch or two,to de-couple them and probably improve their bass result, same idea with the sub woofer, try the other corner for it?.

I am sure you noted a difference with those plant stands, which still allow you to place the 301's in different configurations, flat or standing on end, each will make a difference depending on the surface next to it, glass reflects better, and if you have drapes , you can control the reflection of high frquencies, and have one up and one flat.

My OCD doesn't allow un-symetrical placements :-P and yes I was thinking of something to raise my 601s, perhaps another plant stand...

Thank you again @Elico47

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

I wouldn't raise the 601 up too high, speaker spikes would be adequate in this case. speaker_spikes_c_4cd64da85b89d

These are an idea of some speaker spikes that are available out there, you can purchase the spikes without the bottom holder, and use a nickle instead, to protect your wood floor. 

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Luminary
0 Kudos

well... those spiked feets are definitely not available at Best Buy... and they are not available at the 3 competitors either. So after hunting around my house for something to lift up the speakers ... I found my feets for my 12 year old Sanus tv stand of which I had replaced them with tri-dolly wheels. 

Thus.... 

IMG_4065.jpg

what? did you say move the sub-woofer to the corner? yeah yeah.... no corner is available at the moment, but I'll see what I can do? and I don't need it to be so high? ok ok.....