Scout
0 Kudos

Hi looking into geting a sling box

Hi looking into geting a sling box and was wondering how it works and if this would let me take my tv anywhere in the world also wondering what one i would need as im just geting optik tv on wednesday also will it work with any optik tv box in the house or would it have connect to the main pvr please anyone let me know thanks

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Re: Hi looking into geting a sling box

Ah yes, slingbox - haven't had many inquiries on this product in many years.

From what I remember, 

you plug the box into your existing cable box, ensuring both are powered on. While you are somewhere else (travelling, vacation, business trip, etc) you log into an online portal which allows you to access whatever your TV at home is broadcasting, so you can watch it. One major caveat is, whatever is playing on the TV at the time, is what the remote viewer AND the person at home will be watching at the same time, they cannot be independant. 

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

@IsaiahFransen

You do realize this is a thread for Movies & TV Shows?

You would probably get more help in this thread:

http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/TV-Home-Theatre/bd-p/Sit_back

Scout
0 Kudos

will someone else be able to watch at home while im away watching it if they use a deffrent box from the one the sling box is conected to

Legendary Oracle
Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

I have a slingbox and I have optik TV. Thoughts....

• Slingbox hooks up to my Optik analog out.  You still need a TV connected to the Optik box to get a signal
  • the faster the internet package.... the less buffering issues.  Look closely at your upload speed.  Run a speedtest to find out.
  • where are you travelling?  Some places like China restricts what can be connected to.
  • how fast is your download?  Run a speedtest to find out.  If you are using that free wifi.... you might find it only works between midnight and 6am in the morning.
  • Instead of using slingbox... it may be easier to just watch content directly from the broadcaster or service provider.  I'm a news junkie and it's easier to just watch from the local news station's webpage.

I give my slingbox 2 stars out of five due to the buffering issues.

Legendary Oracle
Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

If you are travelling inside Canada.... another option is the Optik on the Go app for Telus customers. This allows you to watch live stations with your mobile device. Much more reliable than Slingbox.
Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

xl wrote:
If you are travelling inside Canada.... another option is the Optik on the Go app for Telus customers. This allows you to watch live stations with your mobile device. Much more reliable than Slingbox.

The only downside with Optik on the Go is that many stations are tied to your home network, meaning that you can't watch them using the app unless you are on your own wifi network (ie. at home). Sadly this includes most of the major US networks. Works great for most Canadian networks though. If it worked across all channels, it would definitely render the Slingbox moot.

photo signature-member_zps0ovpnde8.jpg

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg