Luminary
0 Kudos

No specialized 4k HDMI HDR cable needed for my 4k HDR TV.

My 4k entertainment center was a complete mess with dozens of 10-foot HDMI cables coiled like a snake pit beneath the TV. If you lifted up one cable end  the rest would hiss at you.  Some of these specialize cables weren't cheap as they come endorsed with all kinds of claims like ultra-hd, 4k, HDR, high speed and gold plated connectors. 

However I have never been one of those speaker wire purists where the speaker wires are placed on blocks to keep them off the ground, thus it is no different for my HDMI cables. Up until I bought my Playstation Pro, all my HDMI cables were bought from the dollar store for a few bucks and a few were bought from *competitor*-mart for $5.

The Playstation Pro was a different story as I struggled to get both VR and HDR output  (which involved a HDMI Splitter and two smartplugs) and thus I bought the high end HDMI cables.

CNET had posted up this article in 2014 : Do you need new HDMI cables for HDR?

Of course I read this article long before I bought my Playstation Pro but I had so much problems getting my Playstation to work with HDR that I had to eliminate the possibilities that my HDMI cables were at fault. When I finally got my Playstation to work with both VR and HDR, I decided to keep the expensive cables and let sleeping dogs (nest of cables) lie.

I forgot all about it until I upgraded my receiver recently. As I re-connected each HDMI cable to the new receiver, the nest of cables became more and more intertwined (because I was intertwining them as I looked for paths to connect the cable),  the thought passed my mind that I should try the other Playstation Pro solution just by using simple HDMI cable couplers. If I play in HDR, I just manually switch the HDMI cables using the HDMI coupler to straight HDR output and vice versa for VR by connecting the cables straight to VR when playing in VR; this would remove the clutter of 1 splitter, 3 cables and 2 smart-plugs.

In order for this to work, I should not have 20 feet of HDMI cables (two cables coupled end to end) thus I opt for the 3 feet HDMI cables from Best Buy.  Dynex 0.9m (3 ft.) HDMI Cable (DX-SF115). I had no idea if this would work since I was skeptical of the old CNET article dated 2014, that by now in 2017, HDMI 2.0a and HCPC 2.2 has to have an extra wire.

The cables from BestBuy arrived before the HDMI couplers did, so I just started to swap each existing HDMI cable out one by one.

Just like the Article from CNET says, "if the HDMI cable works they work",  there is no in-between, like noise or less HDR. I was able to get 4k HDR output from these cheap $5-3-foot HDMI cables with absolutely no lost in signal.

Now every component within my entertainment center is connected by a 3-foot HDMI cable sporting a futuristic look of waterfall piping that swirls around my entertainment center instead of the coiled cablel nest.

I do not know if cheap HDMI cables will work at longer lengths for 4k HDR, but it is worth a try. I've seen these specialize HDMI HDR cables that are retailing for millions and if you are thinking of buying the million dollar cables, try the $5 cable first and If they work, send your savings to me :-P 

The couplers have yet to arrive and I'm at a fork in the road in removing the splitter for the playstation pro since I use Siri to turn on and off VR via the smart-plugs;  It is a very elegant solution.

However because my TV has auto detect, turning on the Playstation Pro always starts up in 4k HDR mode even if the VR setting was left on. In order to switch back to VR, it involves a bunch of button pressing.  By using the HDMI couplers, I can go straight to VR whenever I switch on VR (detected by my Receiver) or go straight to 4k HDR mode (detected by my TV).  Using a HDMI coupler is a much more elegant and simpler solution as well as removing clutter.

Yes, It is a first world problem.

Luminary
0 Kudos

Re: No specialized 4k HDMI HDR cable needed for my 4k HDR TV.

I cannot edit my original post because the last few times I did with another post, it would disappear into the BestBuy spam box. 

The article for the Sony Playstation workaround - Workaround for PS4 Pro, VR & HDR TV

Legendary Hero of the Universe

Typically I find too that the cheap cables work just fine and the expensive ones are just not needed. What I find sometimes though is that the cheap cables sometimes break easier, this isnt a problem though if you just plug them in and never touch them again.

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Luminary
0 Kudos

Drax86 wrote:

cheap cables sometimes break easier

at $5 a pop, it is cheap to replace any broken cable :-P  

Legendary Oracle

Depending on the application and devices that are connected, the appropriate cable will be needed, in order to provide optimum performance from all the devices connected.

When it comes to shorter lengths, dealing with HDMI, the cable will still need to meet performance specifications, such as high bandwidth in order to provide high speed etc..,

So even when is comes to HDMI, it's more to do with features, than versions of the cable, such as, does the cable support 4K? is it High Speed? How high will the bandwidth be? So if the cable is rated for 4K, it will produce the proper results on the screen as opposed to a cable that will not meet the bandwidth required.

This link to HDMI's web site might help.

In general, when in comes to interconneting cables, and power cables, or speaker cables. the difference between various brands is akin to using different tires or fuel type with you car, each brand will work, but you may notice subtle differences between different brands.

There is also a debate about the cable's shielding qualities, to prevent radiated noise to be induced into the cable. This opens up a debate about digital signals as well as error correction, which confirms that, the only thing you can do to a good quality signal, is to make it worse.

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Legendary Epic Genius

Let's not forget that HDMI is digital.  If a cable is subject to interference and the signal does not get through, the results would be catastrophic.  That is, you will get little to no signal at all.  There will be no ghosting, no static, no noise.  There would be no picture, period.

Having said that, I have 30 ft HDMI cables which I bought in 2009 from a computer store which work fine to this day.  If you go with lengths greater than 13 m (39 ft) then you may have difficulties meeting certification due to natural attenuation of the signal.

Cables are all more or less the same.  An HDMI cable rated for version 1.3 or greater will work fine.

HDMI 2.0 and above merely introduces enhanced cable testing for "Premium High Speed HDMI Cable" so that cable manufacturers can charge more.  If you are not running 4K 60 fps, then you won't even need this.  That is also not to say that a regular cable won't pass the same signal either.

Luminary
0 Kudos

SonicBoom wrote:

Let's not forget that HDMI is digital.  If a cable is subject to interference and the signal does not get through.....  There would be no picture, period.

HDMI 2.0 and above merely introduces enhanced cable testing for "Premium High Speed HDMI Cable" so that cable manufacturers can charge more.  If you are not running 4K 60 fps, then you won't even need this.  That is also not to say that a regular cable won't pass the same signal either.

Yup, with the warning from Sonys Blog that I needed a HDMI 2.0 cable, I went ahead and splurged on a premium cable. 

The PS4 Pro has settings for both 2160p YUV420 and 2160p RGB (the latter is highly recommended by Sony if your 4K TV supports it). But if you want that sweet, sweet 60 frames-per-second with these higher resolutions, you will need a Premium HDMI cable, also known as HDMI 2.0. Sony explained exactly why this cable is needed on their blog.

For maximum quality, you’ll need a PS4 Pro system, a 4K TV with a Premium HDMI input port (often marked in blue), and a Premium HDMI cable. A Premium HDMI cable is included with PS4 Pro, but those who need to purchase a longer cable should remember to get one that meets the Premium HDMI spec.

The newer Premium HDMI format can display a 4K signal at up to 60 frames per second (60Hz). Older High Speed HDMI cables (aka HDMI 1.4) can technically display a 4K signal on a 4K TV, but the performance will be limited to just 30 frames per second (30Hz).

However the cheap Dynex 3' do work as well and I'm guessing it all depends on the length and quality of the wires, but do thicker wires carry more and faster digital? :-P

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

ralphael wrote:
However the cheap Dynex 3' do work as well and I'm guessing it all depends on the length and quality of the wires, but do thicker wires carry more and faster digital? :-P

Of course they don't.

If you ask me, the enhanced cable testing is a way for cable makers to justify selling the same cable for more money.

Now if you were an equipment rental outfit, or if you contracted out to prepare the AV equipment for the Olympics, then you will certainly go by the book to ensure that all of your supplied equipment is on par and guaranteed by the manufacturers (whom you can sue if it fails).

However, for home use where you likely plug it in once and never touch it again, I don't think it is necessary.

If you are a DJ and setting up/tearing down for gigs every week, you may want the premium stuff.

But you've bought it already, so I guess this doesn't matter anymore.

Luminary
0 Kudos

My Nintendo Switch kept blanking out and returning between 10-30 minutes of play. Sometime turning everything off and back on helps and I can play the game for an hour without effects.

Was using the Dynex cable between the receiver and TV.

Then a couple of nights ago, it kept blanking out, then finally I see my screen go into a discoloration of greens, purple.

Thought I had a broken Nintendo Switch until I pulled up the Receiver menu to find that it too had a problem.  

Then I thought I had a broken receiver.

Then I realized that it might be the HDMI cable between the receiver and TV.

Changed cable back to a normal HDMI cable and the problem went away. 

Played a few hours of Nintendo Switch yesterday night and it seems stable.

I thought CNET says that a HDMI cable would either work or not work and there are no in-betweens? or is my receiver going bad with heat? after all it was a demo model?

small.jpg

Legendary Epic Genius

Your issue may be the receiver, the cable or the TV.

Since you swapped the receiver, and the problem went away, it could point to a bad cable.  However, often re-inserting an HDMI cable can fix contact issues.

I would closely inspect the HDMI cable that was failing and see if it is either dirty or damaged.  I would also check the ports of both your receiver and TV.

Do you see this happening on other devices plugged into your TV?

Does this happen when you try other HDMI cables?

Did you try re-inserting the bad cable to see if the problem re-appears?

Looking at your picture, it does not look like a cable issue.  It looks like a video issue from your receiver.  

However, if you plug in your cable and the screen goes blank, that could be due to a bad cable.

If you have another method of connecting to your TV (e.g. RCA video cable), you could also try that and see if you see the same issue.

Then again, maybe you just want to play your Nintendo Switch. Smiley Wink