Luminary
0 Kudos

Re: Ordered the STRDN1080 Sony Receiver

SonicBoom wrote:

What the heck are those things?

They look like the ramps I used to set up for my Hot Wheels tracks.

I don't really think you need to worry about that extra stuff.  If it is working, then leave it and tuck all the cables along the corners of the floorboards.

I concur whole heartedly.... 

Luminary
0 Kudos

There is always a caveat to all solutions. 

I was hoping to solve the problem of the Playstation inability to output HDR when the VR is connected, by splitting the signal so that one feeds to the VR and one does not and using the receiver to select which mode that I want to be in; VR or HDR.

The caveat is that the receiver auto-detects a new signal from the VR side, when playing a game on the HDR side, and attempts to auto-switch to the VR signal; It doesn't quite activate and you get this blanking of the screen.

Thus I am back to using straight-through HDMI couplers.

Playing VR, I would connect the PS4 HDMI out to the VR box which is then connected to Video 1 on the receiver.

Playing HDR games, I would connect the PS4 directly to the Game HDMI input on the receiver.

Out of pocket for $600.

Luminary
0 Kudos

For every solution there is always a caveat. Mounting the Front High speaker on the wall ended up my neighbours complaining about music playing at loud volumes at 11pm even though I had my volume as low as 9 on the dial.  The noise problem is probably compounded by my Bose speakers having a woofer port as well as reflective speakers at the rear. 

I've been thinking about a new solution for a long time but I was always too lazy to implement it, but I finally dragged my hinny to that swedan furniture shop and picked up the lack shelving.

IMG_4470.jpg

The whole shelving is about 4 inches away from the wall thus no sound vibration passes to my neighbours through the walls. In addition, the shelving back blocks the reflecting sound of my Bose speakers. Using the leftover shelf as an extension of the bottom, the speaker fitted nicely into the niche that I created. With the FH speakers mounted at the top so that sound is reflected off the ceiling, it completes the Dolby Atmos requirements. 

It is definitely an interesting solution that worked out nicely. I did not visulize this setup initially but now that it everything fitted together, I am more amazed that this solution was possible; it was like the shlevings were designed for this purpose.