Luminary
0 Kudos

Should I buy a new Subwoofer?

So I think I know the answer to this one as I type this in, it makes a lot more sense to buy a new subwoofer.

I have an old KLH Bassbite III powered 40-watt subwoofer with a 45 to 180 HZ frequency response. I don't really need a subwoofer but I find that at low volumes when playing music it adds a nice thump to overall sound.  I live in an apartment so I don't really want heavy thumping, but just enough to round out the music. 

Recently I encountered a first world problem in that I no longer have a switched outlet from my new Sony STRDN1060 receiver, thus I have a tendency to leave my sub-woofer "On". My solution was to buy a $130 worth = 2 x Wemo Smartoutlets which monitors the receiver power usage and switches the subwoofer on/off depending on the power consumed.  It takes about 10 minutes for TFTTT.com to work.

Alternatively I could buy a new powered subwoofer and in fact Best Buy has the "Polk Audio PSW10 10" 100-watt powered Subwoofer" on sale for $150. This new subwoofer has an auto on/off, of which I'm guessing, depending on whether or not it is receiving a signal. Thus this is the same price as two smartoutlets and I get a better and more powerful subwoofer in the deal.

However I'm concerned because my cheap subwoofer has a 45-180 HZ frequency response and the polk Audio only has an 80 to 160 HZ. Does it make any difference? or should I splurge on the "Klipsch R10SW 10" 300-watt powered Subwoofer"? which has a 32HZ-120HZ frequency response plus the fact that it is 300 watt.

Now remember that I live in an apartment and the whole reason that I want a subwoofer is just for the light thump nuance and not for heavy rock at high power levels. 

Let me know the various opions on this.

hb The Captain
The Captain

Re: Should I buy a new Subwoofer?

[ Edited ]

A few comments:

1. The Polk PSW10 with its 100W amp and 10" driver should easily outperforrm the KLH Bassbite III with its 40W amp and a 6.5" driver. The frequency response spec claimed by the manufacturer of the KLH is likely very overstated.

2. Agreed - getting the Polk sub is a far better use of your budget than spending money on a retrofitted solution for the KLH using Wemo Smartoutlets.

3. The Klipsch R10SW is certainly a better sub than the Polk PSW10... but you live in an apartment. You won't be able to get close to realizing the full capability of the R10SW without driving your neighbors crazy. If all you want is just a "light thump nuance" the PSW10 will do just fine.

Luminary
0 Kudos

Re: Should I buy a new Subwoofer?

Perfect!!.... Thank you... I needed that :-) too many hasty decisions lately.