Luminary
0 Kudos

Sony MDR-1000X

I blame the purchase directly on @Elico47...

I had no idea that I had needed this when I bought my STRDN1060 but @Elico47 tells me on my first STRDN1060 post that my receiver supports LDAC;  of course with my buying OCD that anything that I buy has to be a complete set, I have been keeping an eye open for the MDR-1000x ever since. 

Today was the day...

So how does it sound? It almost blows me away :-P

I have never own a noise canceling headset before and with noise canceling the music almost becomes up close and personal; music by Selena Gomez is like she is whispering in my ears. I like it. It is different.

I also learn to not turn up the music too loud because it does get a bit distorted, probably when the music gets busy the noise canceling is trying to do the opposite (negative waves to cancel noise from outside)  and thus seem to cause some clipping or distortion; probably just my imagination or it could be the quality of my 128kbps music from my iphone. Thus it almost blows me away but not totally.  I doubt that it would make a great difference if I played it through my receiver using LDAC as the same music of 128kbps is uploaded to the cloud.  However I do have some higher quality music of which I'll test later. 

I have too many headsets now and this one I do blame @Elico47 even though he doesn't take responsibility for my impulsive buy of the speakers. Is there anything else that I need @Elico47?

IMG_4275.jpg

Highlighted
Luminary
0 Kudos

Re: Sony MDR-1000X

Follow up on this headset.

Finally took some time to connect it to my Sony STRDN1080 via LDAC. Although the options says LDAC ON, which is true for all Bluetooth connection, there is nothing else on the menu to indicate that I'm truly connected via LDAC.

However, all my music is super clear; unlike when connected to my iphone via BT which seems to crackle at louder volumes (same music from the cloud).

Not only is the music super clear  but it is like standing in the recording booth beside the artist. The world around you is eerily silent, much like a silent movie playing around you while you listen to music that is being recorded in a recording booth.

and.... the Bass is just right.

Unlike my MDRXB950BT which is just BASS HEAVY and does goes overboard but still ok, the MDR-1000X is just perfect.

The silence between music is eerie and yes there is headset creaking as I move my head but is not noticiable when the music is playing. 

It is great headset.  If I have to say it, it is the best headset that I have; sorry sennheiser...

Luminary
0 Kudos

Re: Sony MDR-1000X

Today I brought out my MDRXB950BT to use while my MDR-1000x is charging and I could not use them because I'm spoiled by the noise cancellation of the MDR-1000X.

The car noise is muffled but you can definitely hear the car noise as an undertone and of course between music. Everything is just noise after that when you can hear the cars. 

So once you are spoiled by almost absolute silence in which your music is played against, it is so difficult to go back to a muffled noisy environment. I'm sure I'll get use to it once again if I gave it time.... but I doubt I'll give it a second chance as I'm waiting impatiently for my MDR-1000X to charge.

Don't buy the MDR-1000X if you don't want be spoiled forever as everything after that just sounds terrible.