Legendary Oracle

Which "unobtainable" audio/ video gear do you desire most

[ Edited ]

I'm talking about that super expensive gear, or custom made equipment that you're just drooling to get at home, so which brand, model would you most like to have?

So lets see what high end gear is on your mind.

For me, I'd love to get my paws on any gear from FMAcoustics Heart even their used equipment would be nice.

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Legendary Epic Genius

Re: Which "unobtainable" audio/ video gear do you desire most

I don't think my ears would be able to tell the difference with some of those things.

Seen amp's that cost 30k or subs that are 5k - there comes a point where very few people I think could really benefit from that extra price point.

I wouldn't mind me an iMAX projector though lol.
Luminary

I am blaming you for my latest buying OCD cravings.

Ever since you mention the LDAC feature on my Sony receiver, I have been looking at the LDAC headphone, the $500 Sony MDR1000X/B from BestBuy which supersedes the the MDR1ABT/S. I can still get the MDR1ABT/s from Amazing-zon for the same price but I'm guessing it is better to go with the newer model.

My current headphone stash are the Sennheiser Urban and Momentum on-ear, my old favorite Sennheiser HD 555, black friday sale of Sony MDR950BT, and finally the Apple Airpods and the beats x.

Airpods for the gym, Beats X for walk-abouts, the MDR950BT when I feel moody at home, Momentums and Urbans for my drums and keyboards and sometimes when I want a bit of solid music and the old HD555 mainly for the keyboard mainly because it lets in the ambience.

I really don't want to buy another headphone and hopefully my I-already-own-too-many-headphones resolve will hold me back.

So what do you think? the MDR1000X is a must-buy right?

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

Don't underestimate the capabilities of your ears or eyes @Computers_Mike, I'm certain that you'd be able to discern a difference, however, whether or not you'd appreciate the difference in relation to price, is another issue. It kind of works in relation to the laws of diminishing returns, the more you pay the more you expect, the less you get. ;-)

It's sort of like the difference between driving a 1962 Fiat 500, vs. a New Rolls Royce, They both get you to the same destination. (ok, ok, a bit extreme, but you get the idea) How about making the comparison to shoes, womens, or mens? Smiley LOL

Admittedly, I was in the same boat when I first started in the industry, and it boggled my mind to realize the prices of some high end gear, but having sat down and listen to it was truly an enlightening, if not almost a spiritual experience.

When it comes to headphones, like speakers, I find it to be a very personal choice. I know that the MDR1000X were rated very highly for noise cancellation, and seeing that you have a nice collection of quality headphones, the issue would be how do the Sony1000X fare against the Sennheiser Momentum Heart that you own @ralphael ? Not sure if it's a must buy, unless you have to have the best noise cancelling headphones available.

I can see from your contributions (and thank you for that) on this forum that you are enthusiastic about your gear, I may have created yet another "monster", and I'm happy to see the results of your new found enthusiasm Smiley Wink

On a personal note, I might suggest reconsidering your existing speaker system to match your receiver's sound qualities.

Luminary
0 Kudos

Elico47 wrote:

I might suggest reconsidering your existing speaker system to match your receiver's sound qualities.

So I notice in all your post regarding my system that you always put down my Acoustimass Speakers of which I paid a tidy sum back in 2005. It is like insulting my wife, which is ok since I'm single, but if I was married I would be insulted that you keep calling to replace my wife.

Most recent I replaced my front left and right with the Bose 161 speakers and also the center with the VCS-10, the back are the  double cube swivel speakers, left overs from a previous Bose speaker system. The original are the single cubes. I'm adding in a polk-Audio PSW10 10" 100-watt powered subwoofer this coming tuesday.  I also just upgrade the back speaker stands to the bose desk model which just costed me $80 for the pair, plus a back table from ikea for $60. 

IMG_3984.jpg

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

As you noted, my personal opinion of Bose in a domestic application, and especially in surround sound application, is not very favourable.

I'm sorry that you took my personal view of your speakers as an insult, no malice was intended.

I have worked with Bose speakers for many years, and repaired them, I am well versed with Bose's technology and philosophy, which is why I feel that when it comes to Public Address application, Bose is a top contender and a very venerable brand name.Heart

The reason I feel that there are better(this is a word which I feel is a matter of personal opinion) choices for similar price range, in a domestic application, Stereo or Surround Sound, is because of the drivers used by Bose are limited by the laws of physics. There is also a reason that Bose purposely uses these drivers, because the Bose philosophy is that of "Direct/Reflecting sound principal".

Dr. Amar Bose, contends that when you go to a live venue, the chances of you having the best seat in the house, 7th. or 8th. row dead center of the stage, are slim to none. There is more likelihood that you will be seated either on a side back or corner, at which point, Dr. Bose contends that 90% of the sound arriving to your ears is reflected off surfaces around you.

This is why the Bose speaker needs to have one speaker pointed at a wall.

As higher frequencies bounce off of hard surfaces, it creates a sense of wider dimension, however the drivers used by Bose are cone shaped speakers, with large voice coils to accommodate higher power needed to reflect the sound off another surface. The physical properties of a cone type speaker, will not allow it to go past 13Khz, without dropping like a stone when it gets past that point. Also the higher the frequency, the more directional is becomes, and at 13khs, it literally "beams" at you, this is why it must be pointed at a wall to reflect those highs, that give you a sensation of wider imaging.

And to reflect those frequencies it must use a bigger voice coil in the speaker to be able to handle more power, which is also a selling point, with a hidden secret of a lamp type fuse in the crossover, which will dissipate excess power sent to the speaker.

It's because of the "Direct/Reflecting sound" principal that you cannot properly use a surround receiver's set-up microphone when you use the speakers in a surround application. You will always get an "error" message, because acoustic phase is out of phase.

Bose does not publish accurate specifications for a reason, if they did, their sales would drop, because they feel that most people don't understand specifications and how they are derived, and how it relates in comparison to real world use.

So when I see specifications such as 10Hz-100Khz (+0.5dB) I have to take it with a grain of salt..,about the size of the Rock of GibraltarSmiley Surprised. This is a very ambiguous specification and because we can't "hear" past 20Khz, and the lowest note a musical instrument can attain is 16Hz. (Huge Pipe Organ)and we would, "feel" the bass at that point. I love their new term "Twiddler" AKA full range driver, to the rest of the industry.Smiley LOL

Keeping in mind that the most important part of a sound system is the last source of information to your ears, next most important, is the system's source, then the amplifier and the interconnecting cables.

But that's just my opinion. Smiley Wink

As a note,  for their diminutive size, they do have a lot of output. I am glad you're enjoying your investment and I'm sure that those speakers will provide you with a great experience for many years to come.

Luminary
0 Kudos

Elico47 wrote:

This is why the Bose speaker needs to have one speaker pointed at a wall.

Does this apply to the 161 and vhs-10? 

Before using the 161, I was using the dual cube speakers and I would swivel one cube to reflect off the wall. 

I think I've had the Bose line of speakers ever since I ever had surround sound. However once in my life I've had these big huge cabinet speakers which had costed me a fortune back then but I do remember these warm soft tones.

It isn't that I didn't check for new speakers, I did look through all of Best Buy speaker offerings and nothing really jumped out at me. I hate box like speakers plus I hate huge speakers (well not hate but just don't have the room). 

I am open to suggestions... maybe....

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

Yes, this applies to all Bose speakers that use direct reflecting technology including the 161.

I neglected to mention that I feel that there's only one model Bose that I liked, that was the Bose 601, I feel it was the most "musical" of the entire line.

The Bose VCS-10 is the center channel speaker, and is designed for direct sound, to help localize mid-range vocal frequencies.

If it's a matter of space, than bookshelf speakers are probably going to be best as a compromise, or a decent set of tower speakers, whose "footprint" is similar to a bookshelf speaker, with rear bookshelf speakers for surround effect.

I like Bookshelf speakers because I can place them in various positions which will change the soundstage, from upright, to upside down, to laying on their sides with woofers close together on the inside improving bass response, and tweeters outmost, for increased separation in soundstage.Smiley Wink

There are many speaker brands to choose from, including some models that allow for Bi-amplification or Bi-wiring, at a budget price, including the Polk Audio T-300.  As you well know, Best Buy has a great return/exchange policy, so you can test drive these speakers at home for a bit .

Personally I have always had an affinity for most all British made speakers when it comes to audio, I find their mid-range to be very pleasant, and a very neutral sounding so I can listen for very long time with any music without fatigue even at high volumes, while maintaining a normal conversation ( That's how you can spot a good speaker BTW). Wharfedale's Diamond 220 is a giant killer and a great example in my opinion, especially considering it's price. 

I would encourage an audition of either these speakers in your home, with your favourite music ( use female vocal and Piano to help you with your choice), sadly I don't think there's a Wharfedale dealer on Vancouver island.Smiley Sad

Note that, speakers need a "break in" period of about 100hrs. at moderate volume levels to allow the suspension to become more compliant and provide their full potential of excursion.

You could easily create a cost effective 5.1 system using either of these speakers with impressive results, augmenting them with their appropriate center channel, to maintain proper timbre. I wouldn't worry much about a matching subwoofer, but I would not recommend going larger than a 10". An 8" might match it better but again not too much concern about it.

I noted in your picture that you raised your subwoofer off the floor Heart, I am sure you appreciate the resulting punchy impact of bass, in comparison to the muddiness it had when it was on the floor. ( I am confident that your neighbours appreciate it also Smiley Wink.)

Luminary
0 Kudos

Thank you Elico47 and I looked through BestBuy for bookshelf speakers and found them on sale. I also found the 601 on sale on Craigs, so that might be in the cards also. I'll seriously think about it. 

A polk Audio PSW10 10" 100-watt Powered Subwoofer is already on its way arriving on Tuesday replacing the cheap subwoofer I have. 

One thing to note that I just bought the desk stands for my rear cubes and I like them alot and given that I just spent $80 for the pair of which I have already thrown out the packaging, I might just have to stay with my Bose for another 6 years :-P Although I could replace the front left and right with a pair of 601 bose that you said you liked. 

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

Hi @ralphael

If you do purchase the 601's on line, be weary of the condition of the foam surround of the woofers, they will deteriorate after 5-6 years and will need "re-foaming" /  "re-surrounding".

You can test the condition of the surround, by pinching it lightly (warn the owner that you are about to do this), if the surround breaks/ disintegrates, do not play the speaker until it's repaired.

I know of 1 shop in the GVA area that can perform this service properly, located near Kingsway and Broadway on Guelph.

I believe it would be a charge of about $80-$100 per speaker. You can also ask them to "update" the crossover, by replacing aging capacitors (they dry out after several years) which causes loss of detail, imaging and soundstage, this will bring the speakers back to original condition.