Truth Seeker
0 Kudos

wireless digital cable

I dont have a cable outlet in the bedroom in my apartment, and i dont want to be drilling holes in walls just so i can have cable in the bedroom. si im wondering, Is it possable to have a wireless digital cable?? i and if so how can i do it.

Luminary
0 Kudos

Re: wireless digital cable

[ Edited ]

You mean to hook up a (for example) Shaw digital box wirelessly to get TV?

I don't think they have that... yet, however, they are comming close to doing just that. I believe future updates of the newer Shaw Gateway system will have wireless connectivity. Although not available yet, I do believe each portal has wireless capabilities. I could be wrong tho.

To get TV in your room without cables is difficult. There are ways, however, they aren't that great at this point in time. One way would be to get a wireless HDMI. Not that efficient right now, and expensive to start up. Also, since the digital box would be in a different room, you'd also have to get an IR blaster for the remote (which can go through the same system)

Here's a video with regards to wireless HDMI. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kISn57BRlw4

Legendary Oracle
Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

Do you just want local stations? Does your window face the local broadcast towers? You can get FREE broadcasts with an ATSC antenna in the window.
Truth Seeker
0 Kudos

It is 2017 and I would like the same question answered.
Using shaw
hb The Captain
The Captain
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Peterg wrote:
It is 2017 and I would like the same question answered.
Using shaw

Shaw still does not provide a TV set-top box that connects wirelessly, for either their long-established "Gateway" system or their new "BlueSky" system. They do make it possible to view their programming on a mobile device via an app they provide, but that is likely not what you are looking for.  Incidentally, Telus does have a wireless set-top box option.

Wireless HDMI remains an option, and is now much less expensive than it was 6 years ago when this discussion thread was started.

The "Slingbox" (various models are sold by BestBuy) will also allow you to remotely view and control any cable TV box using a computer on a wireless network connection.

Legendary Oracle
Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm somewhat surprised Shaw does not offer a wireless cable box like Telus.

• Telus allows me to have 3 wireless set top boxes around the home to connected to the PVR.
  • Telus offers a 4K setup box now too for sports fans.

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/deals/home/12-month-bundle

I almost forgot.... Shaw has a free range app that was copied from the Telus Optik on the Go.