Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Re: E3 2017

[ Edited ]

Who's still around from the first E3 pre-order sale of June 2011?!? What a golden year... I remember pre-ordering Bioshock: Infinite, Batman: Arkham City, Zelda: Skyward Sword, Dead Space 3, and so many more - $60 games with a $20 discount for $40 each!!!

Ah the good old days Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

photo signature-member_zps0ovpnde8.jpg

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Luminary
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Gold_guardian wrote:

Yep I'd much rather have a precentage based discount as well.  It's cheaper too since you get the discount up front and end up paying less in taxes that way rather then having to pay full price on a game + taxes and then getting a reward coupon that you have to use on a future purchace down the road and is only good for a limited amount of time so their might not even be anything you want to use it on during that time frame.

That and they are only good for in store which is absolutely near worthless for me as someone who can't drive.  The nearest store is so far away at the edge of town I can't even get a bus to it. 

It's technically worse to have a %.

Let's say you have a $80 game (for simplicity let's ignore taxes).  

With points:

Assuming last year's promo of 25x points, you will get 80 x 25 = 2000 points.  2000/400 = 5 * 5 = $25 back (this is assuming you will be accumulating points in the future).

80 - 25 = $55 spent

Without points:

Assuming it's exact same 25x points is about $5 per $16 spent.  5/16 = 31.25%.  Let's assume it's 30% which was done in 2014/end of 2015.

80 * 0.7 =56.  56 with 2x RZ points is 112 points.  112/400 =0.28 back (this is assuming you will be accumulating points in the future).

56 - 0.28 = $55.72 spent

The disparity only gets larger as game prices increase.

And this is not even including the fact E3 2015 was 20% off (including a competitor in 2015 and 2016).  Couple it with the fact that points can scale to prices (E3 a lot of companies raise placeholder prices like Pokemon, Paper Mario etc last year), it was a fiacso to get Best Buy to adjust the % for these back as you can I'm sure read on many forums (such as Captain Toad going from full price to $45).  And the fact it worked for Collector's editions, when in the past %s did not.

The myth that points are bad is false.

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@apt4893

The only problem with your analysis here is that it assumes you're able to place the savings from the extra points towards the games you pre-ordered....except that you can't.

So instead, you're paying full price for the games you're pre-ordering with a promise of future savings on other things...except that those savings come with an expiry date, meaning unless there are other things you wish to buy within the time frame of the RZ certificates, you might either be forced to buy things you don't necessarily want or need, or you lose the savings entirely.

Having a percentage off sale means that gamers are saving money on the actual games they are pre-ordering in real time, vice spending money now for extra savings on other things later. Ultimately, you're correct in that you're saving more actual money by making use of the points, but those who are pre-ordering aren't saving money on the things they want to save money on. 

JB

Luminary
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Juice0904 wrote:

@apt4893

The only problem with your analysis here is that it assumes you're able to place the savings from the extra points towards the games you pre-ordered....except that you can't.

So instead, you're paying full price for the games you're pre-ordering with a promise of future savings on other things...except that those savings come with an expiry date, meaning unless there are other things you wish to buy within the time frame of the RZ certificates, you might either be forced to buy things you don't necessarily want or need, or you lose the savings entirely.

Having a percentage off sale means that gamers are saving money on the actual games they are pre-ordering in real time, vice spending money now for extra savings on other things later. Ultimately, you're correct in that you're saving more actual money by making use of the points, but those who are pre-ordering aren't saving money on the things they want to save money on. 

JB

@Juice0904

Technically though that is incorrect.  By being someone on this forum and knowing the deals and how this works, it means at least you do shop at Best Buy on a frequent basis.  That means that you 99.9% of the time will be shopping there or looking for something there in a 6 month frame.  From a buisness persective, there is no downside to them to do this.  It's all in their own internal system, versus a % sale they can take your money to a competitor.  That's not to say I'm not one who doesn't want them to impliment the certificates online, etc.  I just think from their perspective it works for them.

Again, I don't see that they will resort back to a % sale.  They haven't done one since March 2016.  They know the fiasco it caused last time with people not happy their systems finalize a % reduced price (would you be happy if you paid 30% on $100 versus 30% on $80?  I don't think I'm saving anything there.).

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

apt4893 wrote:

Juice0904 wrote:

@apt4893

JB

@Juice0904

Technically though that is incorrect.  By being someone on this forum and knowing the deals and how this works, it means at least you do shop at Best Buy on a frequent basis.  That means that you 99.9% of the time will be shopping there or looking for something there in a 6 month frame.  From a buisness persective, there is no downside to them to do this.  It's all in their own internal system, versus a % sale they can take your money to a competitor.  That's not to say I'm not one who doesn't want them to impliment the certificates online, etc.  I just think from their perspective it works for them.

Again, I don't see that they will resort back to a % sale.  They haven't done one since March 2016.  They know the fiasco it caused last time with people not happy their systems finalize a % reduced price (would you be happy if you paid 30% on $100 versus 30% on $80?  I don't think I'm saving anything there.).

@apt4893, you're assuming a lot about my shopping habits (and those of other forum users) based on the fact that I am a member of these forums.

I never said that Best Buy would go back to a % sale, I was just pointing out why gamers might go elsewhere - some people's only tech needs are game consoles and the games that go with them.  I personally haven't had a need to shop at Best Buy in quite some time because I haven't had much of a need for electronics.  As I have two Xbox Ones in my house, most of my game purchases are done digitally so that the games can be played on both consoles simultaneously, and it takes the right game and the right discount to get me to buy a physical copy anymore.  As a result, when one retailer is offering X% off of my purchase for an E3 sale, and Best Buy is offering more savings on other products down the road as long as I pay full price right now, I tend to lean towards the immediate discount. 

Frojm a business standpoint, it makes perfect sense.  It gets more people to sign up for the Reward Zone, people pay full price for the games that they could get at a discount somewhere else, and they know that not everyone will know or remember to use their certificates before they expire, which also saves them money.  It's a win-win for them, and for a lot of people that type of pitch works for them because they know they'll have a need down the line.  Conversely, for a lot of people, like myself, it doesn't work for them because the main reason I buy physical copies of games is because I can save money when I choose to do, and the RZ option doesn't do that for me (I'd personally rather save a bit less in the short term to justify why I'm getting a game that can only be played on one console at a time than save a bit more later for a future purchase I haven't considered yet).

At the end of the day, you can't please everyone, and that's why there is competition in the market.  But don't think for a second that Best Buy made this decision because consumers would save more money - this, like anything else, was a business decision, and in the long run Best Buy makes more profit from doing things this way than by providing a % off sale.

JB

Luminary
0 Kudos

Juice0904 wrote:

apt4893 wrote:

Juice0904 wrote:

@apt4893

JB

@Juice0904

@apt4893, you're assuming a lot about my shopping habits (and those of other forum users) based on the fact that I am a member of these forums.

I never said that Best Buy would go back to a % sale, I was just pointing out why gamers might go elsewhere - some people's only tech needs are game consoles and the games that go with them.  I personally haven't had a need to shop at Best Buy in quite some time because I haven't had much of a need for electronics.  As I have two Xbox Ones in my house, most of my game purchases are done digitally so that the games can be played on both consoles simultaneously, and it takes the right game and the right discount to get me to buy a physical copy anymore.  As a result, when one retailer is offering X% off of my purchase for an E3 sale, and Best Buy is offering more savings on other products down the road as long as I pay full price right now, I tend to lean towards the immediate discount. 

Frojm a business standpoint, it makes perfect sense.  It gets more people to sign up for the Reward Zone, people pay full price for the games that they could get at a discount somewhere else, and they know that not everyone will know or remember to use their certificates before they expire, which also saves them money.  It's a win-win for them, and for a lot of people that type of pitch works for them because they know they'll have a need down the line.  Conversely, for a lot of people, like myself, it doesn't work for them because the main reason I buy physical copies of games is because I can save money when I choose to do, and the RZ option doesn't do that for me (I'd personally rather save a bit less in the short term to justify why I'm getting a game that can only be played on one console at a time than save a bit more later for a future purchase I haven't considered yet).

At the end of the day, you can't please everyone, and that's why there is competition in the market.  But don't think for a second that Best Buy made this decision because consumers would save more money - this, like anything else, was a business decision, and in the long run Best Buy makes more profit from doing things this way than by providing a % off sale.

JB

Fair enough.  I'm sorry if I sounded a bit rude.  I get a bit worked up about this since I feel for my purchasing habits, the point system actually worked out a lot better.  If I did want a % off I would go to a competitor.  I guess I am one who does not look at it in terms of the time value of money, but more as an outlay in and out, hence my logic to this point.

You do you, but I'm just defending the points from over here Smiley Happy

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

Like it was said, it all depends on the way we shop at BestBuy. 

In my case, 99% of my purchases at BestBuy are done online, making a 20% reduction much more interesting than a Point based reward. Yes in the end if you calculate it, I might end up saving less than compared to the points, but like I said, at this moment the points are almost useless for me because 99% of my purchases are pre-orders of stuff I will simply never find in store (Amiibos, collector's edition, etc). So even If I had 50$ worth of certificate, I would not be able to apply them on these. I would have to go out there a "force" myself to buy something I probably don't really need. It's not an interesting feeling to go to BestBuy to be able to spent a Reward Certificate just because you have too... 

Also, while at BestBuy the Reward Point program is offering "better savings" than the % reduction program like it was calculated, it's also important to compare to other competitors. I'm thinking mainly about the Wild Forest Online only one which also offers a 20% discount on the pre-orders. However, you need a specific subscription to benefit from that, and that has a cost which is approximately the savings of 5 big games at 80$. So to get an actual saving, you need to pre-order at least 6 games at 80$. The % base discount at BestBuy applies after 2 or 3 games and only depends on their number and not on their value. So this % base discount could be better at BBYC than in the Wild Forest. 

Legendary Luminary
0 Kudos

Hey everyone that time is year is almost upon us! with E3 so close what are you excited for? New games being announced and shown off or some new hardware like Xbox Scorpio. I'm personally really excited to see the super beefed up hardware Microsoft has instore for us and all the great games that are sure to come with it. I am also dreaming for Nintendo to announce a main series game for the switch I think that would be the fantastic. Hopefully Sony brings some new PS VR games as well!

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Come on @apt4893  you can't ignore Taxes. That makes a huge difference

An $80 game with tax in Ontario is really $90.40

So if you're paying full price you're spending $90.40 on the first game to get the points in the first place, you only save $25 on the  second game which ends up costing $65.4  So in total it'll cost you $155.8

Meanwhile with a precentage based discount, even assuming only 20% off like last time an $80 game becomes a $64 one before the tax is applied.   So after tax that's $72.32

So if I buy the exact same 2 game with a it precentage based discoount rather then points it only costs $144.64.  I end up saving $11.16 

Of course the real best answer would be for them to finally bring the full on Gamer club unlocked to Canada.  20% off on games all year long for only $15 a year. Best of all it scales properly and isn't just on new releases so if the price falls you still get the proper discount.   I'd almost never have a reason to buy a video game from elsewhere ever again.

"I come from the net. Through systems, peoples and cities to this place: Canada."
Luminary

Gold_guardian wrote:

Of course the real best answer would be for them to finally bring the full on Gamer club unlocked to Canada.  20% off on games all year long for only $15 a year. Best of all it scales properly and isn't just on new releases so if the price falls you still get the proper discount.   I'd almost never have a reason to buy a video game from elsewhere ever again.

For the sake of repeating myself I'll just say I agree with this part you quoted.  I think we can all agree this part needs to happen. Then I'll definitely give up competitor given the changes they outlined to their terms this week.