Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Nintendo Switch In-Store Release Discussion Thread

[ Edited ]

Hey, everyone!

@YannickG had a great idea for us to have one main thread regarding the in-store release of Nintendo Switch. We've had multiple threads started lately with various people asking about this.

This here will serve as the official discussion thread regarding the in-store release of Nintendo Switch. I will have all the other threads link to this one.

I have not received any news yet about the in-store release of Nintendo Switch. So for now, it is TBD if there will be an in-store release on March 3rd, but I will notify everyone on this thread if I hear any news! Smiley Very Happy

Image result for nintendo switch

FYI: Thanks for posting on the forum. For those who are not aware, this is a peer-to-peer forum. With the exception of announcements that I'm instructed to post, the majority of posts on here are from members of the peer-to-peer community made up of other customers and forum participants. They provide great peer-to-peer advice and feedback. If you have a customer service matter or an inquiry about an order, please call customer service at 1-866-237-8289 to have your matter addressed.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Highlighted
The Captain
0 Kudos

Re: Nintendo Switch In-Store Release Discussion Thread

Thanks, hopefully there will be a few consoles available in-store on launch day. Even if it is only a dozen or two.

Pioneer
0 Kudos

I wonder how early we'll have to show up to get one on release day.

The Captain

@JacksonPatrick

Personally I will be going to wait in-line at 5am. Store usually opens at 8am. I don't think many people will do the same but just in case I will get there early.

Legendary Epic Genius

First thing I would do is to visit the actual store the day before and confirm that there will actually be stock there the next morning and confirm how the process will work (e.g. wristbands, etc.).  You never know if one store operates differently from the next.

Then, depending on how badly I wanted it, I would expect to arrive at least 2 h before the store opens, whenever that is.

I would also choose stores in a remote location rather than downtown stores.

And wear a warm coat and gloves.

Scout
0 Kudos

I wasn't able to pre-order att. I'm hoping they'll have consoles available for those without a preorder. That said my BB is in a small city (31k ppl), so if that's the case it won't be hard to get to get there before any lineups
Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

It can be hard to predict.

Smaller stores may have less inventory sent to them which means instead of 100 consoles, they may get only 50.

Also, smaller stores may cater to a larger geography and so you may have people driving in from an hour away or more betting that the smaller store may have less people.

Lastly, smaller stores may have more difficulty getting product due to shipping issues because they are not located in a big city or major hub.

That is not to say that a big city store is any easier, but I don't typically bet on it being any more or less easier based on the size of the store.

If Best Buy distribution does it right, all stores nationwide should sell out at exactly the same time.

The Captain
0 Kudos

2 hours is not early enough... i remember driving by bestbuy at midnight for the wii launch and there were already 5 people in line. i came back at 3am and I was the 10th in line. when they opened there was about 30-40 people; worst part was they did not recieve a shipment of wiis and everyone went home empty handed  

Pioneer
0 Kudos

Yeah, I was thinking of showing up around that time as well - just bring a good book or maybe even some work to keep my occupied.  Do you think it matters which location you show up at?

Truth Seeker
0 Kudos

Barring any shipment difficulties metioned in the two posts above yours Jackson, I don't think which location you go to should affect your chances much. I guess there's more chance of bigger/actual shipments at stores that service populated areas.

But everyone thinking of lining up will have the same thought processes as us about which stores will have enough units, won't be too busy, etc. and spread themselves out accordingly. Kind of a non-answer but I say just show up wherever is easiest for you.