The Captain
0 Kudos

Re: Nintendo Switch Pre-Order Shipping Date

BBYTerence wrote:

AlexLee wrote:

Good morning,

I'm not too sure if this question has been addressed before but the Best Buy Customer service hasn't been too helpful thus far. When I preordered the Nintendo Switch on January 13, the website and my order both had a placeholder date of March 31, as opposed to the actual release date of March 3. I noticed that the Switch's release date on the Best Buy website has changed and reflects the correct date of March 3, but my order still says that the item will be released and delivered as soon as March 31. Will the release date in my order ever reflect the correct release date? I'm fairly certain that my item will be shipped and released on March 3 but I just want confirmation and clarification.

Thanks.

Hey, @AlexLee.

The correct release date is March 3rd.

March 31st was just supposed to be a placeholder date.

If you still have not gotten any confirmation from customer service, I can assist by forwarding your contact info along to one of our teams in customer service and have someone reach out to you by email. Just send me a private message and let me know.

My order also says March 31st and I pre ordered the console the minute it went up for pre order 

Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hey, @KoolAid.

The best thing to do is confirm your specific order with customer service. Remember, the March 3rd date is not the delivery date; it is the shipping date. Customer service will be able to pull up info on your specific order. Please private message me if you have any questions about getting in touch with customer service.

Regards,

Terence

FYI: Thanks for posting on the forum. For those who are not aware, this is a peer-to-peer forum. With the exception of announcements that I'm instructed to post, the majority of posts on here are from members of the peer-to-peer community made up of other customers and forum participants. They provide great peer-to-peer advice and feedback. If you have a customer service matter or an inquiry about an order, please call customer service at 1-866-237-8289 to have your matter addressed.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Pioneer
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for the insightful responses. They've helped out immensely. I can respect the fact that Best Buy only provides a guaranteed shipped date as opposed to delivery date, but it's still a little disappoining, especially considering how some competitors provide the item at the same price with release date delivery, arguably a better service. But I understand all the behind the scenes work that goes into this so it's unfair to be upset. I live in Markham, Ontario so hopefully there is a Best Buy warehouse nearby so I can get my Switch as close to release date as possible. While I'd be incentivized to pre-order elsewhere, there are currently no pre-orders available, so in the meantime I will just grin and bear it.

Legendary Epic Genius

[ Edited ]

@AlexLee, there is a warehouse in Mississauga, I believe. That always seems to be the place that items are shipped to me in Ottawa from Best Buy when I order online.  Note that it will still take a minimum of 24 hours from when Canada Post receives the item to when you get it, regardless of how close you are to the warehouse.

I'm not sure how other competitors offer release day delivery, because they are bound by the same restrictions that Best Buy is in terms of the process.

I've noticed that some competitors that used to offer release date delivery in the past to all orders have in recent times amended that guarantee to only include customers who pay a premium for better service, or pay the exorbitant overnight shipping costs.

Food for thought on that.

JB

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

The Oracle
0 Kudos

One retailer uses Purolator and will always show up on release day. Most things I preorder if release day is on a Tuesday will get process Sunday night/very early Monday morning to get to me on Tuesdays. Anything processed Monday day gets to me Wednesday/Thursday. Same for Friday releases (except GOW 4 Ultimate Edition getting to me on release day of the standard edition). Bestbuy is pretty much the only retailer that you have a 50/50 shot on release day to arrive to you. I live in Keswick so not far from the Mississauga warehouse.
Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Check what the release date is on your order closer to March 3. I'm sure it will change based on other orders I made with further out release dates, and will ship on or around that date.

But as others have suggested, do not bet on it showing up on March 3.

Luminary
0 Kudos

Sadly Best Buy often waits until the actual release date.  Many competitors ship the day/night before to help ensure that their product is delivered on the actual date.  Not sure how these retailers are allowed to ship a day before when Best Buy claims that they are unable to ship until the actual release date.  And these other retailers are large scale too.

Saddens me, but that is why I have a backup preorder.  I can cancel whoever ships second.

Legendary Epic Genius

[ Edited ]

Neonridr wrote:

Sadly Best Buy often waits until the actual release date.  Many competitors ship the day/night before to help ensure that their product is delivered on the actual date.  Not sure how these retailers are allowed to ship a day before when Best Buy claims that they are unable to ship until the actual release date.  And these other retailers are large scale too.

Saddens me, but that is why I have a backup preorder.  I can cancel whoever ships second.

I don't agree. I frequently receive my Best Buy pre-orders on release day. I just as frequently receive late shipping from the major competitors. Conversely, it goes the other way too... sometimes the competitors get it to me release day, and sometimes Best Buy is late. Stating that Best Buy never ships early for release day delivery, and competitors always do, is blatantly untrue.

Breaking street date is a very sensitive issue with publishers. No matter how many times the question is asked on the forums, people in a position of authority at Best Buy are never going to answer any other way but "We do our best to ensure arrival on or as close to release day as possible". I've never seen anyone in an official capacity for Best Buy say what they are "allowed" or "not allowed" to do, outside of that they are "not allowed to break street date".

Sometimes forum users who are trying to assist may state that Best Buy is "not allowed to ship until release date". Truthfully, we know this isn't 100% true, because many of us have and continue to often receive our preorders on release day, having been shipped in advance a day or two prior. Everyone is just doing their best to interpret the strict rules surrounding online shipping and not breaking release date, but pay attention to who speaks for the company and who is just trying to help. Best Buy's actual policy is the same as every other competitor, nobody has different rules, and if anything, whether you get your product on release day or not varies from instance to instance, not from competitor to competitor.

It depends on a dozen variables... where you live, when the truck came in to the warehouse, who called in sick that day... any number of things could affect whether your Best Buy order came late one week and your competitor order came on time, or vice versa. I'll say it again, I bet I've had 150+ online preorders arrive from various retailers over the last 5 years... and they run the gamut. Best Buy has been on time, Best Buy has been late, competitor has been on time, competitor has been late... Heck, I've had a half dozen or so games in that time that have come EARLY too, from more than one retailer. I don't buy the idea that there is one retailer out there blowing everyone out of the water with 100% release day delivery for all their customers, every time.  

photo signature-member_zps0ovpnde8.jpg

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Pioneer
0 Kudos

When I normally purchase online from a competitor, I would say about 98% of the time, I receive my pre-orders on release date. Granted I believe they say that delivery is expected on release day as opposed to guaranteed but for the most part they've always delivered. Howver, this is all purely anecdotal as I've heard various experiences from others regarding this competitor, perhaps I'm just lucky. I've never purchased anything online from Best Buy before, so I'm going into the experience with a clean slate. I only decided to go with Best Buy because I had a couple of best buy gift cards that I was able to put towards my purchase. My personal experience of the other compeitor is not factual evidence that it's better but I've had a pleasant experience that keeps me coming back for more business. Not only that but the support is pretty helpful, unlike the Best Buy customer service (purely anecdotal), this community is excellent however. It's just a little more informative, explaining that the item will arrive on set date as opposed to shipped early as set date. If I don't receive the Switch on release day, I won't make a fuss over it, it is what it is. I will say that other competitors provide some more insight as to when to expect your product and while it doesn't guarantee the product on release date, they've rarely disappointed me. Whether or not Best Buy will do the same remains to be seen, but as long as I get my unit close to launch, then I'm fine

Legendary Oracle

@debaser17 That's exactly why it's better to work on expectations rather than facts or past life experiences

No one should EXPECT to get their stuff on release day when ordering online. Sometimes it might happen, sometimes it might not.. but if someone expects to get their stuff on release day, I'd bet they can often be disappointed. 

That's why I often tell people it simply won't happen. That way if it does, they'll be happy about it, instead of being frustrated if they expected their game on release day and got to live an entire weekend without it Smiley Wink