Legendary Oracle

Re: Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) Classic

For those like me who were wondering how the controllers would connect to the console, here's your answer IMG_0405.JPG

The Captain
0 Kudos

So our US friends are (as usual) first in line, Best Buy (US) has the product page up and an pre-order notification:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-entertainment-system-snes-classic-edition/5919830.p?skuId=59198...

The Captain
0 Kudos

So who normally decides if we get pre-orders? The supplier or the retailer?

The Captain

Amazing wrote:

So who normally decides if we get pre-orders? The supplier or the retailer?

That's a good question, as well as how many are available, (1) for preorder, (2) for online sales and (3) for physical distribution in stores. And to go up a level, how many SKUs Nintendo of AMERICA decides go to AMERICA and how many go to Canada (and how many to Mexico, etc.). And up a level from that, how many of the total worldwide (Ninty needs to source components, etc. so that limits global availability) go to JPN, EUR and NA.

Unfortunately, I don't think the "significantly more" is going to help one bit in getting supply meet demand. And even more so in Canada than in the US.

So how about the following: Best Buy Canada preorders become orders so they can actually charge your card, for delivery after September 29. BBC can then actually transfer money to Nintendo of Canada, which might help them to actually secure more SKUs for Wave 1 (assuming there will be a Wave 2 like with NES Classic). A dollar in the bank is worth more than ten up in the air, so to speak.

Legendary Epic Genius

I think the way it works is that Nintendo will allocate a set number for Nintendo Canada who would decide how the distribution is set in Canada.

Best Buy Canada would likely place an order through to Nintendo Canada, but it would be up to Nintendo of Canada to decide how many Best Buy would actually get.

Since this is such a popular item, demand would likely outstrip supply.  If you were talking about something more common like SUPER MARIO MAKER for the Wii U, then Best Buy would likely get the quantity they ordered.

Legendary Epic Genius

Help us @BBYTerence, you're our only hope!

The Captain
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

pikachuforever wrote:

Help us @BBYTerence, you're our only hope!

They'll just say the same thing they said for the NES Classic:

"Unfortunately we haven't heard anything concrete from Nintendo yet, I promise as soon as we have anything to share I'll post it here."

I just hope they can tell us whether or not pre-orders are likely this time.

Legendary Epic Genius

[ Edited ]

That's because no one (including Terence) has a crystal ball that can forsee the future.  I'm sure the last thing Terence would want to do is announce news prematurely, only to have to change it later and infuriate more customers.  Terence has to be 110% sure before posting because he is the face of the company and people will quote him from last week or last month if he says anything contrary to what he has said in the past.

I really feel for him, actually.

Best Buy would only offer up pre-orders if they are given solid numbers from Nintendo Canada as to what they are shipping.

Best Buy won't offer up 100 consoles for pre-sale if they aren't guaranteed to get 100 consoles from Nintendo.  That would just be bad business.

Of course that number could change as we get closer to the date and Nintendo sees the types of yields they are getting on new product.  Hopefully, the change in number will go up and not down so as not to anger customers.

The only real control that Best Buy has is how they want to allocate their consoles -- whether they want 60% up for online pre-order and 40% to be shipped in the physical stores, etc.  Any way they do it, there will be people either online who don't get one, or in-store who won't get one, so it's incredibly hard to please everyone.

There is just a shortage, period, and the shortage is really from Nintendo Corporate.

There are a lot of other issues that factor in that have nothing to do with Best Buy or Nintendo such as shipping delays, or yield issues, etc.  When you are introducing a new product there will always be new issues that crop up that no one can really plan for.

Keep in mind also that this is really only a limited edition item, which means that they will not be in production for this for very long, which means that much of the process put in place to manufacture this will be short-lived and temporary.  It would be very hard to predict how many lemonade drinks you could produce in an hour if you haven't actually done it before.

The Captain
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Spent some time looking in my native Holland to see if I might get the way prettier European model. Turns out the pre-order period in that country started around June 30th and most were sold out very quickly. Some less scrupulous webstores even put 10 Euros over and above the MSRP and those sold out as well.

So let's hope Nintendo employees read this topic. Wouldn't be too far of a stretch as a Nintendo employee came by the BB store in Halifax to talk to the people in line for the NES Classic and take some pictures and handed out some lanyards to the people at the very front of the lineup (of course we let her know about wanting to have a SNES Classic in 2017 and a N64 Classic in 2018 and a GameCube Classic in 2019).

Yes Nintendo wants to sell Switches. Yes the Classic/Mini editions are limited editions. But by Jove Nintendo... here are people waiving money in the air, just for you to take from us like candy from children. Get some smarts and get the pre-orders going. Then see by how much you have underestimated demand this time, and get enough made in Wave 2 for the Christmas shopping season (it's early July now so there is still time though you'll probably have to fly them in). If it's for the family rec room for the kids to play with, there is NOT going to be a $400 Switch instead for them to crack the screen or otherwise damage. A SNES Classic sale is not a lost Switch sale. Different uses, totally different pricepoints.

For around here, there are only two major players (BB and **competitor**) and a few lesser ones like **competitor**, **competitor** and **competitor** (just some in-store units there). I'm sure each of them has some kind of account manager for Nintendo (and vice-versa). Those people, who usually are on a first-name basis, need to get on a conference call and see how things can be done amicably and result in as many interested buyers as possible getting their hands on a unit and avoid the NES Mini debacle: (1) lots of supply appearing on **competitor** at hugely inflated prices and (2) leaving the market for additional controllers to third parties [having a 2nd controller included, both with reasonable cord lengths takes care of this one]. I find being proactive usually works better than sitting pretty waiting for a bone to be thrown (or not).

But, being the realist, it probably will not happen. Everyone involved in the supply chain knows they have another winner on their hands, everyone is going to get as many as they can possibly get, and be able to sell all of them without significant effort or the need for price-drops. That's the "Why bother?" side.

Just my two cents.

Highlighted
Luminary
0 Kudos

Finger crossed for BB preorder :-)