Highlighted
The Oracle

Re: Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) Classic

2short514 wrote:
Yep, I have 2 being sent to one address in AB and one in ON. Billing address in QC and it went through.

See this is why no one could get a copy. People like you @2short514 getting 3 copies while people can't even get 1. Good job!

The Captain
0 Kudos

I don't understand, I signed in set up my addresses, limit was one per Household, so I set up 2. I got one, reloaded the page and I was able to get another. I didn't use a bot. I was prepared and knew how this would go down.
Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

@Leprekon careful there. Not everyone getting multiple copies of something want to resell them at a high price. I personally managed to get 7 NES Classics back in the days and resold them without profit to people around me that wanted one but that would have never been able to get one on their own. It's not suppose to become a product only available to some elite members of a club or something.

However, I wouldn't be against the setup of some kind of system that would lower the possibilities of a bot just grabing a bunch automatically. Maybe that system could be based off a code received by email from Reward Zone, similar to the E3 promo. While that code would NOT be a guarantee that you would get a unit, you couldn't buy one without that code. (Just thinkin out loud here).

The Oracle
0 Kudos

@YannickG I'm not saying anything about reselling, I'm talking about when everyone is trying to get one, people are buying multiple copies for other people wether it's for another family member or friend. I was lucky my wife was able to preorder instore at E_B_G 45mins of being live when I couldn't even get one past being in a cart.

If they did these codes it might work but we know even during E3 people didn't even receive codes. The Nes classic was easier to preorder then this.
Legendary Epic Genius

Maybe they should require that everyone who orders one has a valid Reward Zone membership that actually shows activity and do some forum posts or something. 

The Captain
0 Kudos

All Preorders should have been done 'in-store'.  That is the only fair way to do it these days, especially when there is limited quantities!  

Legendary Epic Genius

What difference does it make in-store?

Pre-orders are done online now.  Why?  Because it's 2017.

The Captain
0 Kudos

Because the one-per-household limit is much, much easier to enforce in-store. Not that I agree, but that was the point.

The Captain
0 Kudos

@YannickG I remember you from last years NES Classic thread. I managed to get 5 and I thought that was a lot!

Like someone on another forum said, just because an item is available for sale, doesn't mean we all have a right to buy it. We should all have a fair chance, but at the end of the day, the rule of supply and demand takes over. 

I think as others have mentioned, making sure bots can't snipe will go a long way to at least making the playing field more level. 

Apparently some of the US retailers are using misleading URL's that confuse the bots and don't re-use pre-order links to help minimize the impact of bots. That's probably what BB canada is doing too since the SNES page is no where to be found. 

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

I could easily go in a store or several stores for that matter and reserve a system for each store in the city.

Then I could go back to the same stores late in the day and reserve again with the afternoon shift of staff.

That won't stop a scalper, and in fact it could introduce new problems because you are now relying on people writing orders in a book or a piece of paper that could get lost, mishandled, etc.

I don't agree with bots, that hoard 10 or more of tickets or exclusives, but you really can't stop people from buying less than 10 unless you have to do some sort of registration.

I don't buy for resale either.  I may have one extra copy sometimes for trade value, but it is not worth my time to try and predict profits on reselling these.

However, in the end Best Buy really wants to sell as many as they can.  If they can do this without ticking people off, even better, but in the case of something like Nintendo SNES Classics, they are limited from the get-go on a worldwide level.  I am sure BB would love to sell double or triple the quantity that they are currently selling.

Nintendo, on the other hand, is not producing mass quantities of this product.  Why?  I can only imagine that this product is not profitable for them.  They would much rather you buy a Switch than an SNES because they probably make very little profit from it, which is why it is so popular in the first place.

So why does Nintendo bother releasing this in the first place?  There could be marketing reasons or licensing reasons.  They may need to prove that they are still manufacturing the SNES to renew patent licenses.  They may need to win mindshare from the gaming community to remain relevant.  There could be a number of reasons, but they all mean the same thing -- Nintendo doesn't want to make these.  So if you are a fan, you should put your order in early or be prepared to pay more than retail in the 2nd hand market.