Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Would you buy the $1000 Thrustmaster T-GT Racing Wheel?

[ Edited ]

With my recent purchase of the Sony 65" 4k HDR TV, I decided to upgrade my old logitech G29 to a Thrustmaster namely because I never had a Thrustmaster in the decade or so that I've been playing with racing sims. There has been so many reviews of the two steering wheels and ultimately I figure it is time to try the thrustmaster with its smoother belt driven wheel. 

Thus for the last week or so, I have been agonizing over which Thrustmaster to buy or the pieces themselves. Luckily there has been leftover black friday sales from Best Buy of which you can pick up a T3PA pedal for $99, the TH8A shifter for $150 and so on.

The minimum Thrustmaster set to buy would be theT300RS base of which you add the T3PA pedal and the TH8A shifter.

As your eyes glaze over the various steering wheel Add-ons such as the $200 F599XX Evo 30 Alcantara with a slightly larger rim, the T3PA-Pro add-on pedal of which you can invert for GT racing, you suddenly realize that you will be spending over a grand in total by the time you finish selecting all your pieces.

The best bet is to get the T300RS GT Racing Wheel which comes with everything you need for only $500 and you can worry about all the add-ons later on.

I had initially skipped over the Thrustmaster Gran Turismo T-GT Racing wheel for the reason that it was over a thousand dollars. I glanced at it when it went on sale. Each time I glanced at it and read the reviews, my heart skipped a beat.

Several factors that made the $1k steering wheel attractive:

1. leather covered wheel

2. GT specific 3d gimmick road effects <== very attractive since I'm into gimicky effects

3. new larger covers for T3PA pedals

and only 10 in stock.

As I watched the stock go down to 2, I decided that I had better pick one up for the sale price rather than kicking myself when there isn't any left. 

Would you buy a $1k Racing Wheel? or would the standard T300RS GT be good enough?

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Re: Would you buy the $1000 Thrustmaster T-GT Racing Wheel?

It is 4:10 AM in the morning and I'm still researching how everyone is liking the T-GT Racing Wheel. I do find it hard to justify buying a $1000 steering wheel, however.... 

review after review, kept saying how real-to-life the steering wheel feels. 

The first and foremost reason that I bought the PS4 VR system was because of DriveClub VR. The reason that I upgraded to a 65" TV was because of GT Sports. In fact I bought the steel book version of GT Sports not because of the additional cars and online $$$, but because it is GT Sports in a Steel Book case. On my shelf I have most of the PS4 Need for Speed games and even though I haven't completed any of them, I have great intentions of playing through them in the years to come.

Which brings us to the final reason that I decided to upgrade my G29 Wheel to a Thrustmaster simply because of the smoother Belt Driven system.To complete the upgrade, I am also upgrading my Wheel Stand Pro to the next level racing stand; getting rid of that between the leg pole that has been obstructing my racing nirvana.

Thus that last additional step of spending an additional $400 for the T-GT Wheel versus buying the $500 T300RS GT wheel can be justified in the saying "in for a penny, in for a pound".

Why am I posting this?

Just to justify why I am spending a $1000 for a game steering wheel.

I am definitely so lucky that I'm not married as I know for a fact that if I was, I won't be posting this spiel up because I won't have any of the above toys. No Sony VR, no Sony TV and definitely no steering wheel. 

My T-GT racing wheel is arriving today, along with my Next Level Racing stand.  Yup... noodles for supper tonight.... 

Legendary Epic Genius

My goodness for that kind of money I'd buy a cheap beater as a track car in real life lol.

I had no idea they got that expensive.
Highlighted
Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Computers_Mike wrote:
My goodness for that kind of money I'd buy a cheap beater as a track car in real life lol.

I had no idea they got that expensive.

actually if you bought the T300RS base ($400) + F599XX Evo Alcantara rim ($230) + Shifter ($200) + T3PA-Pro pedals ($200) the total comes to a thousand also. Of course these are add-ons for both.

Lucky for me though, I had BB price match one of their competitors to further reduce the price by a $140, thus my buy-in for the latest and greatest is only $760. 

In addition I am getting a $190 gift card for the purchase of my 65" TV on Black Friday of which I will be applying it toward the wheel, thus reducing my final cost to $570 Smiley Happy

This will be my last wheel for the decade.... I hope...

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

IMG_4642.jpg

What you see here is my new Sony 65" 4k HDR,  T-GT wheel, TH8A shifter, X Rocker and the next level racing wheel stand.  

The T-GT wheel is smooth, which is what everyone kept saying about Thrustmaster when compared to the G-29.  The T-GT simulates the constant forces of the turn with the bumps being added to that pressure. It never jerks the wheel from your grip.  Even when your car loses traction, the forces are still there as you turn the corner.

Also as most reviewers says that there was a dead zone on the G29. To get past the dead zone you simply turn a bit more. Now of course you don't really notice this problem on the G29 until you compare it with another wheel and then you suddenly realize what a dead zone is. The difference is this, when you get past the dead zone on the G-29 your car suddenly veers to one side and you compensate by going back through the dead-zone repeatedly. It makes all cars feel like a boat as you turn corners. 

Another annoying problem with the G-29, is that I had to dial down the force feedback because it was such a strong jerky controller. When the car use to lose traction and slide out in the corners there was always such a disconnect between what I felt on the steering wheel and to what was happening on the screen; the force feedback would suddenly go limp because it lost traction and I would watch helplessly as my car crash into the corners and then suddenly my steering wheel would jerk out of my hands, spining around roughly. I really hated this but I thought all racing games just sucked like that.

With the T-GT wheel, I could feel the corners and the actual corner slide as well as the constant force feedback of the turn so I would gear down to slow the car down; the difference is real. I don't know how much of the traction effect is part of the new Gran Turismo and wheel combo, but feeling the drift is a nice feeling and I hope more games gets adapted for this. 

So that is that. Just thought I let you know that spending $1k is totally worth it.