The Captain
0 Kudos

Xbox One external HDD

I am wondering which is the best HDD to add to the Xbox one?  Can I just grab any 2.5" extrernal drive or a specific type?

TIA

Legendary Epic Genius

Re: Xbox One external HDD

Pretty much any external HDD can be used with the Xbox One.  It needs to be a minimum of 256GB and needs to be USB 3.0.  I'm currently using a 4TB Western Digital My Book with mine and it works wonderfully.

That said, there is also the Collective Minds Xbox One Media Hub which acts as both a bay for pretty much any 2.5" internal hard drive, as well as a three port USB hub.  It connects to the USB input on the side of the console fits perfectly with the design of the Xbox One.

If that's something you'd consider looking at, you can also see Best Buy's selection of internal hard drives here.  Note that a lot of the drives available are 3.5" but the Hub will only take 2.5" drives.

Hope that helps! 

JB

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

The Captain
0 Kudos

I picked up a 2TB WD Passport Ultra and was also wondering if it will work in the CM Xbox One Media Hub?  Or do you have to use a Laptop style HD?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Legendary Epic Genius

It needs to be an internal drive to work with the media hub. The external drive you have will work just fine by plugging it into one of the available USB inputs on your Xbox One, though.

The console will ask you to format the drive, and then once you do it will optimize it for use with the Xbox One and then you'll be able to use it in the same way as the internal one that came with the console.

JB

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg